Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)
Default Winter Racing

Fast Harry,
If you are really tempted to run that HPI R40, you should make the trip to West Haven CT , to Hobby CHamber, #203-934-7317.
The smoothest asphalt you have ever seen, smooth enough for micro's, and high traction like at Cleveland(electric). They offer racing many nights a week, and have trophy events once a month, usually the last Saturday of every month. Which it is coming up. We run ALL winter long. Temps are a warm 50-60 degree's depending on outside temps, and a WELL ventilated building. You should come and see for yourself, unfortunately there is no website as of yet. Keep me posted.
Still Racing Nitro
Old 01-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

your're running Nitro indoors?..
Old 01-25-2004, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)
Default Still running

Of course, I race my G4, and my Kyosho V one RR EVO.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

what night do they run nitro?.....Maybe I'll come up in a month and run..and stay at a hotel instead of driving back?....Also,do you have to run in a weekly point series to run on sat night?..
Old 01-26-2004, 05:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default H E L P !!

Hi guys,

Im running a Yokomo GT4 chassis for almost 3 years and i have it all hoped up ...

Now, in parallel, i want to buy a Nitro R40 from HPI (i run 2 Nitro MT's and im very happy with the quality) in order to know the chassis and see if its as good as it sound to be ...

So, i have some questions (im from southamerica so when i order a kit i have to order parts on the same package to save on taxes and shipping) :

1.- Quality of the parts ?

2.- Wich parts are more sensible to break ?

3.- Any hop up that people MUST BUY to be race-ready ?

4.- The car IN STOCK FORM its competitive on a regional circuit ? (i mean, against mugens, Serpents, Yokomo's, etc ?)

5.- Wich engine do you recommend ?

6.- What type of 2-speed and main clutch it uses ?

thanks a lot !!
Old 01-26-2004, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

does the mugen centax accept the hpi gears?

and are they the correct gear pitch?
Old 01-26-2004, 08:10 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Tabushi: just scroll back a few pages. Every question you just asked was answered just a little bit ago.

Well just about every question...heres the answer to the rest.

(5.)-The MT-12 is a nice engine to run. Its reliable, powerful, and best of all, its pretty cheap these days. It still puts out the same power as these new engines, but it cost about $130(depending on where you look) compared to some of these newer engines running $200+.

(6.) It uses a standard 2 shoe 2-speed clutch.(no more of the finger type 2 speed from HPI) It looks like standard stuff to me, but some think the design is outdated and heavy. Personally, I think it looks and functions just like every other quality 2 speed out there...but to each his own...

(6.) It uses a nice centax or push type clutch. It doesn't appear to differ very much from industry standard stuff, but again, some have had compliants about it. I think the issue was about how heavy the clucth bell is or something...Again though, it looks perfectly fine to me, but maybe I'm just easy to please...

All the rest of your questions have been touched upon many times over the last few pages of this thread. Just go take a look, its all there....good luck.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by fastharry
Rookie is a good guy......we could use him on the forums....beside's,look at the Ball Busting I do on teh serpent forum(and others).....I'm no better than him(in fact,probably worse).............
At least, FASTHARRY did get my point.........I do not (still do not) know WHY these pppl jumped all over me about what I said...what I was asking are some OPINION about what options to get to IMPROVE the R40.....and the point I was asking is because I don't know I should get the KIT and do the upgrade, or I should just buy the aftermarket parts that R40 would need and the rest OEM parts and build my own R40 the way that I like....

JUST LIKE BUILDING STEREO or COMPUTER...........

And I didn't know that is against everyone's wills here in R40 thread.....I didn't realized that ppl are against OPTIONS for R40....and I didn't realized everyone are so happy about the fully stock R40.....so good that don't need options.

Come on guys, I am not going to be silence about what I said, but I think what I said did confused someone here.......in that case, my apology, but that is not for what I mean, but may be that is for what I wrote that confused someone......

Fastharry knew that I was jumping from Serpent/HPI to AE, then back to Serpent and at the same time, HPI again..........but he can tell you guys that I had never use any HARD WORD for those that does not agree with me......unless they started jump all over me.

If I don't think R40 has the change to race with the big boys, why do I have to ask in this thread..........? Like you said, I rather spend my time at 710 thread......I am no longer 15 years old, trash talking for me is only fun when it is on the TRACK.

So please do not reply to this message............and Harry, I did have a R40 since X'mas, but I didn't open it yet cause if it is better to build my R40 by buying options and OEM parts instead of adding parts on the stock R40, I can always sell the R40 on ebay without losing money............so I am already in the R40 band wagon, just need to find time to open the box.

Last...........I am kinda disappointed that HPI challenge USA might not be happening this year since FRANK is heading to Europe HPI or Japan HQ, right...? (Just someone told me that it might happened this year...)
Old 01-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

I don't think you want to build one from scratch. Just my guess but I don't think you want to do that. That would end up being a $500+ car. Trust me, I've done that before. I've converted a nitro mini into a Racer2 and then into a Super Nitro. Converted a Electric Sport2 into a Pro2. Converted a Nitro MT into a Super Nitro Rally. Even if you think you've got almost all the parts, one way or another you'll end up spending way more than you thought. Well, that's been my experience anyway. Just build the kit and add what you want later.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by rod_b
I don't think you want to build one from scratch. Just my guess but I don't think you want to do that. That would end up being a $500+ car. Trust me, I've done that before. I've converted a nitro mini into a Racer2 and then into a Super Nitro. Converted a Electric Sport2 into a Pro2. Converted a Nitro MT into a Super Nitro Rally. Even if you think you've got almost all the parts, one way or another you'll end up spending way more than you thought. Well, that's been my experience anyway. Just build the kit and add what you want later.
Simple answer like that will work............yeah, I did look at my part list on the R40 will the parts that I might want from 3racings.....buying PARTS to build the R40 that I want is like $150 more on top of the $200 of R40 parts (if I buy them seperate thru tower and $200 are my cost as a dealer).....however, I don't have the extra parts that I might need on the track....and R40 for me is like $220 only, mathametically thinking......it is stupid for me NOT to open up my kit and see how the STOCK R40 handling first before I replace those options.

Rob.......thanks. Now, I need to find time, but I am in no hurry......cause if I am not mistaking, just saw 3" of snow outside........does R40 has a optional SNOW KIT...? LOL
Old 01-26-2004, 10:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey Tranced, it's funny how you could talk crap to Rookie, but you yourself talked crap about the R40.
Here's some quotes from Tranced below.

Originally posted by Tranced
OK..this is it..

HPI needs to ADDRESS the damn ISSUES with this car..

CHANGE THE FUCKING PLASTIC.

ADD A FUCKING SHOCK BLADDER

GIVE US CF TOWERS AS STANDARD (cast aluminum SUCKS....)

BEEF UP THE DRIVELINE COMPONENTS.. (rubber belts.. )

it takes owning another pro car to be able to criticize this car..

and criticize i will...
Originally posted by Tranced
own a mugen, and you will know superior plastics when you see them. a good balance between stiffness, and durability is required. it didnt take much for my R40 to collapse, even busting a shock cap open, and please, don't tell me I didn't build it right, because you can come and personally watch me build an R40 up from the bags.

The towers are crap. It's the TRUTH. Ok, stamped aluminum.. still sucks. Theres no way around it. And HPI did this to their car, to reduce cost, common McKinney, give me the reasoning behind this!!! Am I right? Or do you have a clever cover up to make it look as if the towers are sufficient?

Take a look around other sections of the car. Cutting costs everywhere. For a PRO car, meaning to compete and hold its own against other PRO cars, plastic shocks are just plain degrading.

"I thought i'd have a problem with no shock bladders myself but if you really think about it if your shocks are moving that high and that often you must be driving it offroad?"

Please do not insult my intelligence when your assumptions are just false. Shock bladders aren't meant to cusion rebound, because on-road R/C shocks are not MADE to be compressed full volume. Shock bladders have a couple purposes, one being to eliminate AIR stuck at the top when assembling the shock cap assembly to the shock body. A hole in the cap above a shock bladder's seal helps bleed the air out during assembly, and less air equals smoother motion of the shaft.

The reason my shock cap forced out of the shock body was because of a SLIGHT (no exaggerations here..) impact with a T-MAXX.

No, i shouldn't be driving the damn thing in co-horts with a monster truck, but I will be damned before I can believe a car of this nature cannot withstand the impact equivalent to a side-slam from another pro car.

But this isnt about the impact, this is about the crap-tastic shocks that come with this PRO car. Does it make sense that every other pro car comes with alloy shock bodies/caps/bladders, but the R40 does not? And what's up with the steering bushings? HPI is milking the crap out of their PRO.

Any other angles you might want to shoot my way, im all ears, but I wont back down from my stance.

Sure I'll keep the car, and do exactly as HPI wants us to do, which is to buy their *required* hop-ups to stay competitive, but I won't stop believing that they are taking advantage of marketing finesse.

Remember, those quotes aren't from me, but from Tranced.

Last edited by ChrisBlack310; 01-26-2004 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:58 AM
Tech Regular

snip

Last edited by treky11; 01-26-2004 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by treky11
Hey Chris. You make no sense. You say you believe the car is such a piece of _ _ _ _ and that HPI is trying to bend you over, YET you are going to bend over for them. You are your own worst enemy then.

Take your own advice, sell the car and let the rest of be happy hear. Go enjoy your Mugen.
Treky, those weren't my words.
Those were quotes from Tranced.
I was stating the Tranced was being so harsh towards Rookie, when Tranced was the one that was talking crap about the R40 a couple of months back.
I was defending Rookie.

Last edited by ChrisBlack310; 01-26-2004 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by treky11
Hey Chris. You make no sense. You say you believe the car is such a piece of _ _ _ _ and that HPI is trying to bend you over, YET you are going to bend over for them. You are your own worst enemy then.

Take your own advice, sell the car and let the rest of be happy hear. Go enjoy your Mugen.

Hey Treky, I edited my earlier post to make it easier to see that those weren't my words.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by ChrisBlack310
Hey Treky, I edited my earlier post to make it easier to see that those weren't my words.
Chris........I am appreciated for you to tell ppl that there is some issue about TRANCED........but again, I hope that is just a big misunderstanding, so I would like to let that part be the history and move on to the R40.

Now.......can anyone tell me the upcoming info about the HPI Challenge in USA..? Will that be HPI challenge this year...? Thanks...cause racing the R40 at the Mod Nitro is what I am shotting this coming year...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.