Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Fastharry,

Now that is lite. Now, in order to compete with it in a ROAR event, you will have to add some weight (legal weight 1725g with personal transponder). At least you can add the weight were you need it to balance the car.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:43 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm kinda surprised that HPI hasn't at least thought about producing some lighter weight composite chassis components. I mean, I didn't realise how heavy the upper front bulkhead was until I pulled it off one day. Replace that (and other pieces like it) with graphite composite, or shave some material off them (or both) and HPI could save quite a few grams here and there.

Just a thought.

I just hope if they do try this, that they don't do what Trinity did with their lightweight components, and make them a funny looking grey color!
Old 01-23-2004, 08:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

As much as I want to get the R40, with all these aftermarket stuff that I know I will need (all the light weight items).........should I still get the R40 kit first and upgrade 30% of the parts.......?

Or, should I buy all the aftermarket parts and stock parts to build one...?

I know it wll coist like goot $400 to complete one R40 with options, but with all those extra stock parts laying around, is that worth it to get the R40 kit now...? Just want to hear from you guys....

P.S. Yes, I like carbon fiber, and I like those light weight stuff, some of them are all show, and some of them are all go, and I want them all (except those alum/titanium arms or legs that I will never get....)
Old 01-23-2004, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

is the only concern with the car the weight? its about 1820g built stock? anyone know the stock weight of a mtx3?

im intersted in getting 1 for the upcoming outdoor season and i must admit i really love the r40's price tag

i came here to see what you guys were saying and its all about weight if thats the only complaint i think im sold

how does it handle compared to the mtx3 (my old car)? is it slower because of its weight

i saw a couple r40's in action last summer and they looked impressive and nobodys even close in price
Old 01-23-2004, 11:23 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by Rookie Solara
As much as I want to get the R40, with all these aftermarket stuff that I know I will need (all the light weight items).........should I still get the R40 kit first and upgrade 30% of the parts.......?

Or, should I buy all the aftermarket parts and stock parts to build one...?

I know it wll coist like goot $400 to complete one R40 with options, but with all those extra stock parts laying around, is that worth it to get the R40 kit now...? Just want to hear from you guys....

P.S. Yes, I like carbon fiber, and I like those light weight stuff, some of them are all show, and some of them are all go, and I want them all (except those alum/titanium arms or legs that I will never get....)
Well.......any this is only my 2 cents......from what you said, no matter what car you get, your going to want the graphite and aluminum goodies right? And you want them whether they are performance upgrades or not.....which theres certainly nothing wrong with!

So the way I figure it is.......

....if your going to fill your car with hop ups regardless of what it comes with, you might as well start with the lowest cost competition car on the market and work from there, right?! As opposed to starting with a G4, 710, or MTX3(all starting over $300 already) which you would add stuff to anyway...

Logic would state that, if your going to add the stuff anyway because you like it, then after all is said and done, you'll spend less on the R40.

So I guess what I'm saying is......welcome to the club!
Old 01-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by PTP Racing
is the only concern with the car the weight?
That appears to be the only concern. Even the few critics the car has have never questioned the cars performance. So I would say that this is the only concern. And a silly concern as far as I'm concerned...but thats just me though....

There have also been concerns about the quality of the plastic, but that appears more to be a reputation that has carried over from past HPI kits than anything this car has earned.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Darkseid
That appears to be the only concern. Even the few critics the car has have never questioned the cars performance. So I would say that this is the only concern. And a silly concern as far as I'm concerned...but thats just me though
I know I've only been racing nitros for 4 year but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "man, if my car was lighter I would have won!"
Old 01-23-2004, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Does anybody know when all of the current of the Japanese HPI upgrades are going to be available in the US? I mostly care about the graphite rear tower, 4 gear diff and titanius screw kit. Use the following link to see what I am refering too:

http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/contents/kits/r40/opt.html

Cut and paste the above address into the "Translate a web page" section if you want to see it in english:

http://world.altavista.com/
Old 01-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Regional Moderator

The graphite reat tower has been availible for a while now......or at least thats the theory. They come into stock and disappear just as quickly. Supply definitely isn't keeping up with demand. But it is availible here in the states.

Your best bet is to get one is to backorder one somewhere. That way as soon as they come into stock, you'll have one. TowerHobbies says they should have some in by the end of this month, so you could try there.

As for the other stuff, its a waiting game.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:10 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by rod_b
I know I've only been racing nitros for 4 year but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "man, if my car was lighter I would have won!"
Old 01-23-2004, 05:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by Darkseid
....if your going to fill your car with hop ups regardless of what it comes with, you might as well start with the lowest cost competition car on the market and work from there, right?! As opposed to starting with a G4, 710, or MTX3(all starting over $300 already) which you would add stuff to anyway...

Logic would state that, if your going to add the stuff anyway because you like it, then after all is said and done, you'll spend less on the R40.

So I guess what I'm saying is......welcome to the club!
Thanks for the opinion........but don't get me wrong, I am not really a parking lot basher type, I "OPTION" the parts that I really need.........so those aluminum arms, steering knuckles or titanium king pins are defiinitely NOT what I am looking for........in this case R40, I see several major upgrade that is a MUST (well, not really, but at least I think OPTION will make the R40 better)

(1) Carbon shock towers front and rear.........you guys can tell me hows the stock one holding...from what I saw, most stock R40 with stock plate are all bent or something....so carbon fiber tower should be there.

(2) The whole lightweight transmission...........no need to say more, the lighter the better, from 2-speed gears, to hollow shaft to light weight clutch housing.....lighter is better and is faster.

(3) Carbon side brace........same as the shock tower.

I think with these 3 major upgrade, the R40 should be capable to race against 710, MTX, NTC3 and G4........yes, I've seen stock R40 beat up 705 before, but what I am saying is, these are my 1st stage of upgrade on R40.

In this case, I think I will definitely spend this season on the R40.....not running the 710 for this season is a very tough decision for me, but I always enjoy to tune a UNDERDOG chassis and race against the fast guy like 710, G4, Reflex and NTC3......I did that on my Super Nitro against Serpent Impact before, I don't mind to try that on 200mm class..........

Not to mention..........HPI challenge.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:06 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by Rookie Solara

(1) Carbon shock towers front and rear.........you guys can tell me hows the stock one holding...from what I saw, most stock R40 with stock plate are all bent or something....so carbon fiber tower should be there.

(3) Carbon side brace........same as the shock tower.

Not to mention..........HPI challenge.
See, this is what I don't get. How the heck do you bend a aluminum shock tower on a touring car. Both the body and the body post are taller than the shock towers, especially on nitro touring cars. I mean, honestly, what do you do to a car to bend a shock tower as short as the ones on the R40.

As for the side brace, I really don't get this.....how in the heck could people damage the side brace. Theres a pipe and coupler between the brace and any potential hit???

I'm not saying these aren't replaceable items. I plan to replace mine just for the weight savings. But to hear that people are bending them........I'd like to be there at the time of impact to see just how they pulled that off!
Old 01-23-2004, 08:25 PM
Tech Initiate

No offense intended here, but sounds to me like the general opinion of HPI is that they are toys or bashers. I keep reading that folks are impressed that the R40 "keeps up with" or "can even beat" a NTC3. When I look at a NTC3 or any Associated product for that matter, the word that rings through my head is "toy". They just don't look to have the competetive constuction as a Serpent or Mugen, etc. I'm not saying the NTC3 is not competetive, just to me, it is more suprising that it is competetive.

I guess what I'm saying is all of these cars have the potential to be great, I just happen to own a R40! BTW, got my kit new for $230. Lots budget left for options!
Old 01-24-2004, 01:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by h82crash
No offense intended here, but sounds to me like the general opinion of HPI is that they are toys or bashers. I keep reading that folks are impressed that the R40 "keeps up with" or "can even beat" a NTC3. When I look at a NTC3 or any Associated product for that matter, the word that rings through my head is "toy". They just don't look to have the competetive constuction as a Serpent or Mugen, etc. I'm not saying the NTC3 is not competetive, just to me, it is more suprising that it is competetive.

I guess what I'm saying is all of these cars have the potential to be great, I just happen to own a R40! BTW, got my kit new for $230. Lots budget left for options!
I Built my MTX3 and have been very impressed by it I went with it over the R40 due to overpowering suggestions from others and have no regrets the R-40 looks to be very comparable and in the right hand with hop ups just as fast. The NTC3 I picked up used and thought the same as you looks cheap in comparison But it is DAMN fast. It really Shocked me but it is alot Quicker car that said the downside is that it is alot harder to handle and definatly more brittle then my MTX or from what I see the R40. I Have alot of respect for people who can Race an NTC3 on the level of the R 40,MTX,or snakes because they have to work harder to get the control but they have the advantage/disadvantage of less drag with the shaft drive.AE I am Positive will answer the benchmarks being reset and when they do it will be a slap in the face of the cars we all have now. If they don't then they will have made there money and we the Racers will lose because they didn't step up to raise the bar yet again.BTW I Got my NTC3 Kit built used complete with hop ups for $190. I have almost a grand in my MTX3 and its mostly stock. Kit was only $330.It adds up Quick
Old 01-24-2004, 01:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by PTP Racing
is the only concern with the car the weight? its about 1820g built stock? anyone know the stock weight of a mtx3?

1760g without fuel body on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.