Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kewdawg
Guys, I asked this question a page, or so, back and did not get an answer. I was wondering, if, any of you are using the HPI universals or a stronger aftermarket brand? Anyone?

hi kewdawg...I use the stock stuff....easy to replace, cheap, rarely breaks.......Those uni's weer only avalable in asia and europe....

BTW, I have the Asia only ti ball set on ebay now, starting at 39.95..and they cost me 80....
Old 04-07-2008, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fastharry
hi kewdawg...I use the stock stuff....easy to replace, cheap, rarely breaks.......Those uni's weer only avalable in asia and europe....

BTW, I have the Asia only ti ball set on ebay now, starting at 39.95..and they cost me 80....
Okay. Thanks for the info., Harry.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kewdawg
Guys, I asked this question a page, or so, back and did not get an answer. I was wondering, if, any of you are using the HPI universals or a stronger aftermarket brand? Anyone?
I rember AI having the Kawahara ones. I don't think he saw any real advantage in them. I'm with fastharry and the stock ones. I have managed to break 2 front dogbones when the front knuckles pop off. This usually happens when a front wheel catches a board. This only happened at the permanent track where the boards were wood. The parking lot track uses road rails so no more problems for me.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
I rember AI having the Kawahara ones. I don't think he saw any real advantage in them. I'm with fastharry and the stock ones. I have managed to break 2 front dogbones when the front knuckles pop off. This usually happens when a front wheel catches a board. This only happened at the permanent track where the boards were wood. The parking lot track uses road rails so no more problems for me.
Thanks for the info.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Default new and old R40

I am trully new to this, I have an R40 thats never hit the pavement, sure sounds like it runs smooth. My problem is the people whom the hobbie shop I go to are neck deep into it all. I must admit, I am about waist deep but not as good should I say as they are. Is there anyone that can help me get over putting my car on the track against THEM ALL!!!
Old 04-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

So I can't find ANY hobby stores that still sells the HPI R40? I was thinking of getting back into RC but only ankle deep ( )..anyway is there an OFFICIAL word from HPI if this car as been discontinued or what? I have my old R40 back in my hands and hope parts are still available for a few more years at least.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by signman617
I am trully new to this, I have an R40 thats never hit the pavement, sure sounds like it runs smooth. My problem is the people whom the hobbie shop I go to are neck deep into it all. I must admit, I am about waist deep but not as good should I say as they are. Is there anyone that can help me get over putting my car on the track against THEM ALL!!!
Everyone has to start somewhere. We were all the new guy at the track in the beginning. Get to the track as much as possible. Practice driving every chance you get and don't be affraid to ask a lot of questions. Learn how set-up, repair and clean your car properly. These things will help you get better faster, if, you apply yourself.

P.S. - You don't have the "latest and greatest", or everything under the sun to be competitive. Get the necessary parts and equipment and practice, practice, practice. Upgrade your car and equipment, once you've outgrown what you have now.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by edracer1
So I can't find ANY hobby stores that still sells the HPI R40? I was thinking of getting back into RC but only ankle deep ( )..anyway is there an OFFICIAL word from HPI if this car as been discontinued or what? I have my old R40 back in my hands and hope parts are still available for a few more years at least.
The kit is hard to find, but you can still find parts on-line. Just takes a little searching.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by edracer1
The R40 is still listed as a current kit on HPI USA's website. There are a couple of shops around me that sells the kit and parts, but the parts selection is a bit skimpy. Ebay is probably your best friend for parts. Also check the for sale forum here at RC tech. If you have it, I say run it. Are you looking for any parts in particular?
Old 04-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Wow, its been really quiet in here.

Anybody getting ready for the HPI challenge on the East coast?

I've raced twice since my last post and have been really happy with the performance of my car. The only consistant problem I have been having is that the front roll bar is tweaking my suspension. When I set up the car, I set the twear, ride height, and camber. Then put the roll bar on so it doesn't change the tweak. After racing 1 or 2 heats, the tweak comes back. I can see that the mounting screws sink into the sway bar mounting blocks. Seems to me that the screws start settling into the center of the hole instead of staying adjusted where they need to be. I just ordered 3 racing sway bar mounts to see if they will solve the problem. Anybody else had this problem?

I have been running 33r and 27r slicks with orange or red inserts with great results. Last race, I had 33r front and 27r rear and liked that too. I did have some problems with the HPI aero dish wheels. I used the white ABS ones and I had 2 of them break the center out. My son had this happen once too. They just don't hold up well to my crashing and bashing. If you don't hit stuff, they are great wheels though. The black aero dish wheels are nylon, so I think I'll try tracking them down. I have also discovered that Hot Bodies has there own version of the white aero dish wheels for half the cost.

I have also raised my ride height to 7mm f/r and increased the droop to 3 or 4 mm rear and 2mm front.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Wow, its been really quiet in here.

I've raced twice since my last post and have been really happy with the performance of my car. The only consistant problem I have been having is that the front roll bar is tweaking my suspension. When I set up the car, I set the twear, ride height, and camber. Then put the roll bar on so it doesn't change the tweak. After racing 1 or 2 heats, the tweak comes back. I can see that the mounting screws sink into the sway bar mounting blocks. Seems to me that the screws start settling into the center of the hole instead of staying adjusted where they need to be. I just ordered 3 racing sway bar mounts to see if they will solve the problem. Anybody else had this problem?

I have been running 33r and 27r slicks with orange or red inserts with great results. Last race, I had 33r front and 27r rear and liked that too. I did have some problems with the HPI aero dish wheels. I used the white ABS ones and I had 2 of them break the center out. My son had this happen once too. They just don't hold up well to my crashing and bashing. If you don't hit stuff, they are great wheels though. The black aero dish wheels are nylon, so I think I'll try tracking them down. I have also discovered that Hot Bodies has there own version of the white aero dish wheels for half the cost.

I have also raised my ride height to 7mm f/r and increased the droop to 3 or 4 mm rear and 2mm front.
Hey Roy, good to hear that you are doing well with the car!!
I have been so busy with work, I have not had the time to race much but I do have race coming next month. Which sway bar did you order, the front or rear?

~Jason.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:32 AM
Tech Elite

I'm working on it. Getting my spare and option parts together. Gotta get a servo and radio reciever, too. it won't be long, now
Old 04-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jscamry
Hey Roy, good to hear that you are doing well with the car!!
I have been so busy with work, I have not had the time to race much but I do have race coming next month. Which sway bar did you order, the front or rear?

~Jason.
Whats up Jason!

I'm finally racing consistantly for the 1st time in 3 or 4 years. Relearning everything it seems. Also I ordered the front sway bar mounts. I don't run any rear sway bar.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Tech Adept

anyone selling the r40 steering posts, r40 servo saver set and r40 brake cam?
Old 05-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default R40 discontinued

Hi guys,
Just had a look on HPI USA's website. The R40 Hara's no longer there. Looks like they discontinued it. Kinda sad really. I learnt to race with that car, and it had so much potential. It just wasn't marketed well.
Farewell to an awesome pro tourer...
Gone but not forgotten.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.