HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Tech Regular

more things to ponder during the slow drudge called work.

off power steering is surprisingly responsive, on power is where things get a lil dicey if I give too much gas it will spin out usually not too badly enough to recover from on the 90* turns adds a sec or two to the lap but fairly manageable just need to go easy on the throttle at the apex of the turn and all is well, but on the 180* turns it all goes to hell in a handbasket back end wants to whip around if I even think about touching the throttle almost have to wait for the car to be almost 75% of the way thru the turn to even lightly tap the gas by witch point the car is barely moving.

strangely enough every thing is fine when turning on power as long as I stay away from the 180 turns and don't try to turn too tight.

I'm hoping to sort this out and finally tame the runaway rear end 2 weeks ago I was setting a 16 lap pace this weekend I could barely manage 13 laps.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Just a couple more thoughts. Make sure that your rear arms arnt' cracked and that the chassis isn't bottoming out under cornering throtle. The other is the check your front drivetrain at full turn lock and make sure nothing is touching or rubbing or binding.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Tech Adept

if steering is good off power, and too much on power, I would go harder in the front with tires first. Try 37 or even 40 shore tires in front. Next thing would be to go harder with the front springs. I used to run the HPI gold(Hard) in front and HPI black(Standard medium) in the rear. If I had your problems with my car, I would go to the HPI silver(Soft) spring in the rear. I normally used 40shore front and 38 rear. Sometimes I had to go down to 38 shore front and rear.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Tech Regular

I had a spool in my R40 and loved it!

Setup was similiar to yours except:

2 degree toe out in front
2 degree camber front
40 shore front

3 degree toe in rear
2 degree camber rear
40wt oil rear
5mm ride height rear (after tires wore down)
37 shore rear
lowest shock positon in rear
medium or soft spring in the rear
Old 08-27-2007, 04:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

guys you know any good online store that sells gears sprocets for R40(hara ) ?
also any tip to remove the gear sproctes from the clutch with out the proper tool?
Old 08-31-2007, 07:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Stefanos, depending on where you are, Towerhobbies.com has all the gears you want. You can also try RCMart.com but you need to e-mail them first with the part # for availability or it may be out of stock. Do not order until you get a response.

You can also do ebay.

It is not easy removing gears form the cluthcbell without a good tool. It may just be worth it to have multiple bells with different gears or buy the tool.

I used a needle nose plier and regular plier but that still can caused damage to the gears if they were on too tight. I also protect the bell with a cloth.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

if you are running a spool make sure you're running double the front droop compared to the rear

As a reference, I run 50wt oil all round, stock pistons, silver front springs, black rear springs, 1.5 deg of rear toe in, 1 deg front toe out, 4/5 f/r ride height, and about 1.5 mm of droop all round with a diff. Think i run 50k/30k oil f/r & my car is on rails. Oh and I always run the same shore front to rear, 37 on untreated tracks, 40 on VHT

Good to see the R40 thread lives on
Old 09-05-2007, 03:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thnx guys ...it seems like i will order the tool i just hoping you knew any other way :P
Old 09-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Question, are any of the HPI/Hot Bodies drivers (Hara??) running the R40 competitively anymore? I know they have been diggin their heels in with electrics, which is cool. But, I just got my R40 back up to snuff and in looking at races from like everywhere, Kyosho, Serpent, XRAY and Mugen seem to dominate the set. The R40 drives like a dream so I am wondering, do people (outside of the forums) still think its a worthy car?
Old 09-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

A couple of years ago Sukarian was running the R40 along with Hara in asia. I'm pretty sure that has ended now. Maybe somebody out there that can read Japanese can check HPI's japan site to confirm. HPI USA has zero support for on road racing for the past few years which makes it difficult for new racers run HPI. The R40 platform is getting a bit long in the tooth, but is still very capable. I still run 2 of them. There are people around that still race them. What area are do you live in?
Old 09-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

I'm in NYC. I plan on catching some wreck with Fastharry. While getting my car up to snuff two weeks ago, hit a dustpatch, spun out and wrecked the front end. I was going to buy the NIB from Fastharry, but some dumb azz shot my car with a BB gun, putting a nice spiderweb in my front windshield and shattering one of my passenger windows. To keep the insurance in check had to fix it and go "searching through the couch cushions" to buy some spares to fix my R40. It is moving right along and drives like a dream. My Pro4 is my baby, but the R40 is really gaining on it. The car drives like it wants to demolish the competition, begging to go straight coming out of turns and is very predictable. If Harry has the car in a few weeks, I'll buy that just to have two...bad habit of mine, I have at least two of every vehicle in my signature..except for the R40 lol. The Savage doesnt need to be duplicated, its stands alone in my HPI greed
Old 09-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

You are in good company. The Wast coast has more R40's still racing than the West coast. I only live 20 miles from HPI HQ. I don't know why I'm such an HPI homer though. I have to say that HPI does support the local races with door prizes and some of there employees frequent them too.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
You are in good company. The Wast coast has more R40's still racing than the West coast. I only live 20 miles from HPI HQ. I don't know why I'm such an HPI homer though. I have to say that HPI does support the local races with door prizes and some of there employees frequent them too.
I tried other brands OFNA, traxxas, AE, Kyosho, Losi, even HPI's brother Hot Bodies, but no other brand did it for me. As long as there is Ebay, I am running my HPI's. Hopefully, they will get it together (I hear the owners are going through some marital woes) and come out with a racing line that lives up to their name. Just a thought.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

bxpitbull:

I hears you on the choice of company. I only buy HPI cars. I got the r40 when it first came out and been running it ever since. Some call me crazy for not switching even though it is a dated car, but I have had no lack of part support for the car online or at my lhs. Plus!! I'll give you an example, on my last race, I was up ahead on the straight away, a guy who loves to drive like a hack rear ended me, and all my car did was move forward by a foot while his car rolled over like 5 times landing against the wall......

Anyhow, pro racers have not taken this car up due to lack of sponsorship support from HPI. This is why you don't hear much about it on the network of hardcore racers. Can't blame them as they are playing with their latest electric kit. I hope they do come out with an update nitro racer and give us a car that others can't mess with. Here in the East everyone loves their mugen and serpents, but will switch to the next hot thing in a hearbeat.

I've heard people on the tracks sometimes saying "I can't wait to try such and such car". I ask why, they say "I don't know I hear it runs fast. "

I am looking forward to attend a few more races this season. Come to Floyd or prospeed for some r40 action. I do this for fun not to make money.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Tech Master

I hear you. I am in NYC, and am look forward to getting my car ready to rock for Floyd Benett field before it gets cold. You and fastharry are the only dudes in NYC that come on the boards that can identify what I am talking about. NYC has HPI support out the yang, but Serpent, Kyosho and Mugen are huge favorites. Bruckner USED to have the HPI challenge races, whatever happened to that? They say the R40 is getting long in the tooth, but it drives like a dream. Hopefully, the folks at HPI will get it together and give us a lil something.....other than on the Hot Bodies tag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.