HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 04:45 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stefanos
lol still fastharry? :PP if you ship to greece i might ask a friend :P

if he wants to pay,I'll ship to greece.....

275....,come with a new set of twister tires in addition to to kit ones....plus shipping....
Old 07-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

So who is still racing the R40? I took a seat back last year and returned this summer racing it on road. I dusted it out, ran a race recently and noticed that the car can still keep up. I will be racing next weekend so I will post results. I went back and read some of the old posts in here and I had forgotten how much knowledge has been typed into this thread. I thought I knew the car but dang did I found some nice set up details.
I just did the aforementioned shimming technique above and the car jsut takes off like a bandit. The clutch engages very smooth and punchy.

One question I have is when setting up the rear sway bar, the instructions say to tighten the set screws allowing the bar to swivel slightly. SO when I did this, I pressed one wheel up and notice the other followed stlightly. What behaviour am I looking for when setting up the sway bar? I use the outter most plug on the A arm.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SasonRC
So who is still racing the R40? I took a seat back last year and returned this summer racing it on road. I dusted it out, ran a race recently and noticed that the car can still keep up. I will be racing next weekend so I will post results. I went back and read some of the old posts in here and I had forgotten how much knowledge has been typed into this thread. I thought I knew the car but dang did I found some nice set up details.
I just did the aforementioned shimming technique above and the car jsut takes off like a bandit. The clutch engages very smooth and punchy.

One question I have is when setting up the rear sway bar, the instructions say to tighten the set screws allowing the bar to swivel slightly. SO when I did this, I pressed one wheel up and notice the other followed stlightly. What behaviour am I looking for when setting up the sway bar? I use the outter most plug on the A arm.

I still race mine.........
Old 07-27-2007, 12:10 AM
Tech Master

The sway bar should rotate freely in the bulkhead. Before you attach the ends of the swaybar to the arms you can check to see. And yes, the sway bar works by lifting the opposite wheel as well. This increases the spring rate when cornering because only one side is compressed while still letting the suspension compress easier on bumps.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Great!! thanks for that explanation RapidRoy. I went over the entire car last night, like I said you don't race for a season and all of a sudden you get the stupid dust on you.

Now I need to get sometime to test out all the new settings at the track.

FastHarry you ever make your way up to ProSpeed? I am heading there on the 5th. I like their parking lot track. By far the nicest I've seen around NY.
I also run at Floyd Bennette as well and the competition there is getting bigger.
The permanent track is getting quite the fame.

I find it that towerhobbies and RCMart are some of the few shops that carry all the parts. Not bad I just got a nice delivery from HongKong
Old 07-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Great!! thanks for that explanation RapidRoy. I went over the entire car last night, like I said you don't race for a season and all of a sudden you get the stupid dust on you.

Now I need to get sometime to test out all the new settings at the track.

FastHarry you ever make your way up to ProSpeed? I am heading there on the 5th. I like their parking lot track. By far the nicest I've seen around NY.
I also run at Floyd Bennette as well and the competition there is getting bigger.
The permanent track is getting quite the fame.

I find it that towerhobbies and RCMart are some of the few shops that carry all the parts. Not bad I just got a nice delivery from HongKong
where is pro speed?..

A couple guys who go to Fb came out by us, the said the traffic coming back to NJ on sun aftrenoon,from the hamptons,is unbearable....So Fb is out...
Old 07-27-2007, 07:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

I can imagine how aweful it is to get back to NJ. All the weekend warriors head out east and cause havoc on their return back to the city Sunday afternnon. I sometimes take 45 minutes to get out of FB and I leave in queens. Unfortunately that is the closest track for me to practice on.

Prospeed raceway is in middletown NY. About an hour and half north in the thruway and route 17. Easy to get to from Jersey.

http://www.prospeedrcraceway.com/
Old 07-31-2007, 01:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by coolson
i have breaking a few bearing a few times. I think i will try to follow your instruction to place the shim.

Btw, how come you got two bearings closer to the flywheel in your diagram?

also, do you guys have problem with those 4 poles coming out from the flywheel? I do......
that diagram is of an mtx4 clutch which has 3 bearings. I was going through an outer clutch bearing every 2 meets prior to shimming my clutch and I have raced 4 meets since without replacing one. See if shimming the clutch out makes the bell clear the poles, otherwise get out the dremel, or tap them back in with a hammer (this didnt work for me so i cut them).

as for competitiveness, my r40 is consistently one of the quickest cars on temporary and untreated tracks. I race at one pro circuit, which is treated each meet and my PB is 3rd in the amain albeit a few laps down with a stripped 2nd gear. In other words the car still has it, but it took me a while to get mine sorted. I'm buying an MTX4 2nd hand next month (coincidentally it won the amain in which i came 3rd), so it'll be interesting to compare how it drives and what impact if any it has on lap times.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Tech Adept

anyone know if there is an option part for the rs4-3 so you can put a sg shaft engine on the car cause it comes with the standard shaft
Old 08-05-2007, 12:28 AM
Tech Master

Here you go

http://www.wolfpackradicals.com/
Old 08-07-2007, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

hey guys,

i have gotten ispiration to get my R40 running again , but ive been through 2 spur gears and i think i found out why , my 1st and second gears on my engine shaft move latteraly(left to right and up and down) its like the shaft is too small but it also moves front to back... any one know why its doing this?? i have a red dot engine and this mother is fast and the gears just "wobble" for lack of a better word , in result tearing up my spur gear ...

please any help would be great ...
Old 08-07-2007, 07:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

If you are using the light weight two speed, make sure that the gears are properly seated against the hubs. Take it all apart and make sure all screws are in all the way. Ensure everything is snug and tight and that you have all the bearings that should be in. You will still get s small wobble but that is minimal. You should not be able to notice it as much.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:32 AM
Tech Adept

everything is in the correct place and al bearing and such , well i need to go to my LHS to get my clutch and two speed tuned, since ive never done it before and people here say to get it done by some who knows how .,..lol
Old 08-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

It seems that something went lose in your clutch set up, so the best choice is to get it looked at if you are not sure what's going on. Good luck.

I would really advice that you to become once again familiar with setting up the car, or you will be out in the water trying to run it properly. Make sure your LHS guides you.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Tech Adept

yea i used to be hard core into my touring car , and then after having done a little here and a little there , its been 2-3 yrs, since ive really been serious, and im really loking to get back in now my funds are better/bigger...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.