Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 11:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ex
hey everyone.. i've been lurking these forums for awhile and i finally decided to make an account. anywho, i love how everyone here is so helpful and informative. i just thought i'd say hi and ask if anyone could be so kind as to point out a good hobby shop i can check out in southern california. also, since i'm just new to the world of r/c. should i start on something like the rs4 3 before jump onto the r40? thanks again and i hope to here from you guys soon! =)
Ultimate Hobbies is the place for you. You can get the address and phone number from their web site at www.ultimatehobbies.com . The website sucks but the store is huge. As for starting out, it really depends on your budget and intentions. Do you want to race or just bash? If you have the budget and want to race, then going straight to the R40 will save you time and money in the long run. If you have limited money, and don't really want to race, the RS4-3 RTR is a good value.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:02 AM
Tech Initiate

I agree with Roy, I have both the R40 and the RS4 3 and I gotta say the R40 has the goods. But only if you plan on racing, the rs4 is great if you are gonna run around parking lots and the parts are cheap. Now you can run the R40 in a parking lot with no problem. But its like buying ferrari, and driving it like an old lady. Like Roy said its your budget. You could go with the RS4 18ss kit which is not an rtr, you have to build it. But it comes I believe with everything you need to get going save batts and fuel, etc. But you get the experience of building a kit which I think is valuable. It helps you understand the inner workings of an RC car.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

If you have the money and don't really want to race, you can get the R40, good electronics and motor and just have a blast on the street. I see people in the hobby shop all the time with 1/8 scale Kyosho buggies with Rody tuned engines with all the hopups on it. When I ask them where they run, they tell me "oh up and down the street in front of my house, and I also chase the cats and dogs around the yard". To each his own.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:28 AM
ex
Tech Rookie

lol thanks for responses guys. i'll be sure to check out ultimate hobbies later today. as for kits... i see that there are two versions of the r40 on the hpi site. how much does each one cost and where would be a good place to order it? either online or at a lhs? and one last thing.. are there any tracks around here rapid roy or around where you are so i could go check out the action? thanks again!
Old 06-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hi guys its time for me to switch to a new hobby, if
anybody here is interested im willing to ship my r40 anywhere from
Manila, Philippines just pm me...thanks MIke

HPI R40
-purple aluminum rear bulk head
-purple aluminum wheel hexes
-Titanium Screws
-HPI Orange Soft Springs
-Rear Diff has 4 bevel gears already
-Diff and One-way
-used tires
-tons of spares!
*extra tank
*extra chasis
*extra bulk head
*extra reciever case
*and much more!!
no electronics, no engine/pipe

all for 90$ buyer pays for shipping, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-r40final.jpg  
Old 06-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ex
lol thanks for responses guys. i'll be sure to check out ultimate hobbies later today. as for kits... i see that there are two versions of the r40 on the hpi site. how much does each one cost and where would be a good place to order it? either online or at a lhs? and one last thing.. are there any tracks around here rapid roy or around where you are so i could go check out the action? thanks again!
I'm not really up on prices, but expect to pay $150 to $200 more for the Hara version. Its worth it because the cost of all the hop ups is much more then the difference in the cost of the 2 kits.

As for nitro racing, there are 3 permanent tracks and a well established parking lot circuit.

For parking lot racing check this out. You can also go to the "Racing Forum" and check out the O.C. Circuit thread.

http://socal.rcracing.com/Page.cfm

The closest permanent track is Revelation Raceway in Ontario. Next is Crystal Park raceway in Compton. Then SVM out in Sun Valley.

If you like electric, then there is So Cal Raceway in Huntington Beach.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Which RX battery does the Hara chassis use? Can you get the battery from tower? Second, which foams do you guys run? Nitro shoes? What sizes?

Sorry if this has been covered, but is was taking forever to search.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

AAA Lightweight 5 cell hump pack. You can find them at a few places , but dont confuse it with a 2/3A cell 5 cell hump pack , those are large and wont fit.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

For foam tire choices, you should check what people run at the local races. Track surfaces, weather conditions and local price/availability all affect the best choice.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Anybody know where to get the hop up brake setup?
Old 07-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have the optional brake disc,the HARA one piece motor mount and 2 sets of the graphite arms..

I have a buyer interested..if it does not work out,I will post here.....all the piece's will be sold as a package....
Old 07-03-2006, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Let me know Harry on those parts if it falls through.

--

Also last night was building my 04 over to the 05. Things look great. Sadly theres really no instructions. Did anyone ever find out if the 05 has a different manual or addendums instruction sheets?

Im to the wiring portion now and Im kinda having trouble figuring out whats a good way to wire this , anyone got any photos?

If it wasnt for the photo on hpi japan I would be pretty lost on this build. What are you guys using to secure your RX to the chassis are you putting them in the stock location or moving them elsewhere? I notice they have some sort of tape or wrapping going through the slot in the chassis. What can be used for that method?

Thanks. Ill post some pictures of the swap once done tonight.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Tech Adept

So who's got dibs on the brake? I can't find it anywhere. The stock one has high spots where the slots are punched out causing inconsistent brakes. I found a three racing titanium disc at rcmart but that is probly the soft crap and I can just see the pins from the brake hub tearing it up real quick.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Tech Adept

I used velcro between the deck and rx and then a velcro wrap around it all. Plugs up for ground clearance. Xray antenna holder used. I also put a cut balloon around the whole thing which cleans it up and provides decent spill protection.
Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-100-0032_img.jpg   HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-100-0033_img.jpg  
Old 07-04-2006, 04:51 AM
Tech Addict

Smile Kawahara parts R40

Hi,

We have put the Kawahara option-parts of the R40 in the clearance sale for verry low prices

cia!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.