Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 01:33 AM
Tech Adept

raveupon,

you might check to see if the rims on your tires are rubbing against the uprights. My did at first and I had to trim them down alittle.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:47 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Please do not insult my intelligence when your assumptions are just false. Shock bladders aren't meant to cusion rebound, because on-road R/C shocks are not MADE to be compressed full volume. Shock bladders have a couple purposes, one being to eliminate AIR stuck at the top when assembling the shock cap assembly to the shock body. A hole in the cap above a shock bladder's seal helps bleed the air out during assembly, and less air equals smoother motion of the shaft

You should foward those comments to Team Associated... (you know,the ones who make all those AWARD winning cars?..)
Old 12-05-2003, 05:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by tranced
Appearantly I was not as well informed about the car before purchase.

Do you think I would have bought the car if I knew about these problems? Would you have? Well sure.. maybe you would.

God Bless the US of A, and QURC
Ok, this is what I don't understand, you say "Please do not insult my intelligence" but your doing a pretty good job all by yourself. You complain about the shock towers, but how could you not know about them before buying the car?????

Shock bladder this, shock bladder that. When are you going to stop crying about the shocks, they work fine. Some people prefer shocks with a bladder (I think refered to as diaphragm shocks) and then there are those that prefer emulsion shocks. If you want a car with diaphragm shocks, either buy some bladders or run a different car. Some of us like the emulsion shocks.

"Appearantly I was not as well informed about the car before purchase"

Appearantly, someone doesn't do enough research.

"Sure I'll keep the car, "

Now if you have that many complaints, why in the world would you keep it and buy more parts for it, hmmmm let me guess, so you can complain even more. Just like every other consumer on here, you had choices, and you choose to buy the R40, you don't seem very happy with it, so it sounds like it would be better for you to get rid of it and run something else.

Can you do us a favor, please spare the rest of us with your petty whining. You made a bad choice, now move on.

Last edited by C0NTENDER; 12-05-2003 at 05:35 AM.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:33 AM
Tech Addict

most of these complaints doesnt concern me as i'm now planning to completely mod my future R40. I already have my Novarossi NRS RR12L5 for it with Zac Racing components. Just hope those "rubber belts" will hold up !

I was never a big fan of HPI's plastic shocks and the stamped shock towers. But honestly i didnt expect al. shocks or cg towers to be included for a car that cost 260-280 US street price.

BTW, maybe mugen, kyosho, or serpent belts will fit...
Old 12-05-2003, 08:40 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by tranced
Appearantly I was not as well informed about the car before purchase.

Do you think I would have bought the car if I knew about these problems? Would you have? Well sure.. maybe you would.

God Bless the US of A, and QURC
Dude, slow your roll. You don't know anything about me. I simply asked why you would buy the car if you knew it had these "problems" I wasn't attacking you, just asking.

Now if you want to know what it looks like for me to attack you, try this.... "how stupid do you have to be to dump $260+ into a kit you apparently knew nothing about?" Now thats an attack....

....but thats not what I do on the message boards.

I could care less what you do with the car, keep it or not, no skin off my nose. But when you say you'll keep it AND buy the hopups, dispite your apparent distain for the car and HPI, it makes you sound like your full of.......well you know what.

Like I said, my offer is still open. $35 for that championship caliber crap-tastic kit!

Last edited by Darkseid; 12-05-2003 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:48 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by boom
Originally posted by Darkseid
Oh, by the way guys........I'm now a card carrying member of the R40 club.

Hello again fellow reflex driver....... I also got myself a R40

-The car does seem to weigh more(without engine or electronics) than my stock ReflexNT did. But it seems to be right at about the same weight as a friend of mine's ReflexNT Team Only. So I'm not concerned about the weight.

I haven't taken everything out of my reflex yet to compare weights yet, so I'll trust you on that

-Last but not least.......Gotta love these diffs!!! No leaks, and just as smooth as my ReflexNT's 6 gear diffs. 6 gear diff conversion need not apply!

My rear diff leaks a bit..... I also put in 80wt rear oil instead of the silly grease....... how tight did you tighten the rear diff screws? I might have to up the weight a bit since the 2 gear diff provides less action.
-weight: the only reason I was able to think about this is because I stripped down my ReflexNT just before I sold it. And I built the R40 first without any of the electronics. So I was able to get a feel for it. Not scientific or anything, just a feel.

-leakage: well first, I didn't fill the diffs up completely.(like up to where HPI shows in its diagram) Instead, I only took it almost to that point. Second, as I assembled the diffs, I thought something was wrong because the two halves didn't completely seat against each other. Then I realized that this was a good thing because I could tell that the halves were "squeezing" the gasket which should insure a perfect seal. All I did was tighten the screws as far as they would go. This left all four of them seated just below the level of the diff cover. I've had mine assembled for three days now with no leaks. If they were going to leak, it would have happened by now for sure!
Old 12-05-2003, 09:17 AM
Regional Moderator

Default THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK ON ANY OTHER CARS!!!

I just wanted to make that clear first before I say this...

Has anybody else noticed that the other cars available right now are no more 'perfect' than the R40. I mean REALLY, it seems that each company has its own ideas about what is neccesary to win races. And some of these ideas differ from popular perception. For example:

popular perception...

-the fuel tank must be centered...to avoid changes in handling during runs. Mugen, Associated, Ofna, Kyosho FW05, and some others don't bother with this. Its a neccesity on the shaft drive cars, but if its really neccesary, then how do these cars do so well?

-Aluminum shocks....are absolutely neccesary on any pro level car. Yet Serpent have been living with the composite shocks for as long as I can remember. So does Xray, and Corally(until the Assassin) These shocks certainly haven't seemed to hurt Serpent or Xray.

-Universals....now come on, these are a MUST HAVE right!?!? Not neccesarily! The MTX3, a car no one questions, comes with dog bones. Why? It can't be for performance. So perhapes every company tries to save a dollar here or there. At least the ones that are still in business.

-Front one way...this isn't even a sure thing in popular perception, let alone a decided must have for every company's race car.

-Shock towers....now this is a tough one. Some companies start with composite(thats not good enough for some)...some companies start with aluminum(thats not good enough for others)....and some go with graphite right off the bat(and thats not good enough for some others) Want proof, take a look at this:

-Losi, Associated electric cars, and some companies nitro cars come with composite towers, so what happens...some people go looking for graphite plate towers.

-HPI's R40 come with aluminum shock towers. Thats absolutely unacceptable for some people. Its an crime is what it is! But look at what happens next...

-Trinity's ReflexNT comes with a graphite front tower. Yet, when people and team drivers wanted a hopup for it, they wanted an aluminum front shock tower! Imagine that!!!

All I'm trying to say is that EVERY car on the market right now has atleast two or three things that someone will consider not "race worthy". EVERY car!

So can someone please explain why there is a need to go to any one particular thread and talk about how this car or that car isn't race ready? I just don't see the point.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

Dude, slow your roll. You don't know anything about me. I simply asked why you would buy the car if you knew it had these "problems" I wasn't attacking you, just asking.

Now if you want to know what it looks like for me to attack you, try this.... "how stupid do you have to be to dump $260+ into a kit you apparently knew nothing about?" Now thats an attack....

....but thats not what I do on the message boards.

I could care less what you do with the car, keep it or not, no skin off my nose. But when you say you'll keep it AND buy the hopups, dispite your apparent distain for the car and HPI, it makes you sound like your full of.......well you know what.

Like I said, my offer is still open. $35 for that championship caliber crap-tastic kit!
I am COMPLETELY full of BS.. chock full of it!!!

I am stupid enough to dump 260 into a kit because of good marketing, and hara's win. i am keeping the car because i dont have the money to buy another, whereareas you seem to update yearly (if your sig is correct)
Old 12-05-2003, 10:26 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK ON ANY OTHER CARS!!!

I just wanted to make that clear first before I say this...

Has anybody else noticed that the other cars available right now are no more 'perfect' than the R40. I mean REALLY, it seems that each company has its own ideas about what is neccesary to win races. And some of these ideas differ from popular perception. For example:

popular perception...

-the fuel tank must be centered...to avoid changes in handling during runs. Mugen, Associated, Ofna, Kyosho FW05, and some others don't bother with this. Its a neccesity on the shaft drive cars, but if its really neccesary, then how do these cars do so well?

-Aluminum shocks....are absolutely neccesary on any pro level car. Yet Serpent have been living with the composite shocks for as long as I can remember. So does Xray, and Corally(until the Assassin) These shocks certainly haven't seemed to hurt Serpent or Xray.

-Universals....now come on, these are a MUST HAVE right!?!? Not neccesarily! The MTX3, a car no one questions, comes with dog bones. Why? It can't be for performance. So perhapes every company tries to save a dollar here or there. At least the ones that are still in business.

-Front one way...this isn't even a sure thing in popular perception, let alone a decided must have for every company's race car.

-Shock towers....now this is a tough one. Some companies start with composite(thats not good enough for some)...some companies start with aluminum(thats not good enough for others)....and some go with graphite right off the bat(and thats not good enough for some others) Want proof, take a look at this:

-Losi, Associated electric cars, and some companies nitro cars come with composite towers, so what happens...some people go looking for graphite plate towers.

-HPI's R40 come with aluminum shock towers. Thats absolutely unacceptable for some people. Its an crime is what it is! But look at what happens next...

-Trinity's ReflexNT comes with a graphite front tower. Yet, when people and team drivers wanted a hopup for it, they wanted an aluminum front shock tower! Imagine that!!!

All I'm trying to say is that EVERY car on the market right now has atleast two or three things that someone will consider not "race worthy". EVERY car!

So can someone please explain why there is a need to go to any one particular thread and talk about how this car or that car isn't race ready? I just don't see the point.
I like to complain because I dont have the money to buy a different kit!
Old 12-05-2003, 10:48 AM
Tech Addict

dont mean to sound harsh, but if you could afford only 260 for a kit then you couldnt have gotten a better kit anyways.

mugen mtx3 cost around 360
kyosho v one rr cost 320
kyosho v one rr evo cost close to 400
new serpent will probably cost around 350 to 400.

you get what you pay for dude. personally for once i like HPI's design enough to put more money into it (despite naysayers).
Old 12-05-2003, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by icon
dont mean to sound harsh, but if you could afford only 260 for a kit then you couldnt have gotten a better kit anyways.

kyosho v one rr cost 320

you get what you pay for dude. personally for once i like HPI's design enough to put more money into it (despite naysayers).
Yes HPI's design is awesome. It's just some of the parts i do not enjoy.

Maybe I sounded too one sided before.. didnt state my likes about the car?
Old 12-05-2003, 12:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by icon

kyosho v one rr cost 320

For the record, Tranced was waiting for the FW05, but didnt want to wait (they are in high demand), so he got what was available. I also think that Tranced is venting due to the lack of parts available and to some other criticism from people that dont have a clue. Just my common cents.

God bless the US of A and QURC
Old 12-05-2003, 03:54 PM
Tech Regular

"Shock bladders aren't meant to cusion rebound, because on-road R/C shocks are not MADE to be compressed full volume. Shock bladders have a couple purposes, one being to eliminate AIR stuck at the top when assembling the shock cap assembly to the shock body. A hole in the cap above a shock bladder's seal helps bleed the air out during assembly, and less air equals smoother motion of the shaft."

if you have no air the bladder does control rebound. if you dont think it doesn't, try putting a few drops of oil on top of the bladders on one side of your car and see how bad it pulls to one side under accel/braking.

some top drivers actually add oil on top of the bladders all the way around for just that reason.

any collision with a 20lb tmaxx could brake anything. if you bent the shock towers of stamped alum, it was a lot more than a tap. plain and simple.

i'll up dark's offer and give you $36 if you want to sell it.

do us all a favor, don't spend money on hopups for the r40. save it, and use it along with the proceeds from the sale of your r40 to buy another car.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:14 PM
Tech Regular

But to my understanding.. shocks dont compress fully under acceleration, unless you're using soft springs, am i correct or wrong? I mean.. wouldn't that hinder one of the purposes of the shock.. to prevent the chassis from bottoming out?

ahh i duno.. im a fool!
Old 12-05-2003, 09:52 PM
Tech Addict

yes you are, treky already stated that shocks dont compress to full volume .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.