HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Tech Addict

I BROUGHT MINE OF EBAY. the front and rear for very cheap. almost half price.
so have we heard anything about that steering.
i went to order the light weight 2 speed assembly today, and frontline hobbies here in aussie which is the importer for hpi says they have no listing on it. weird hey. guess iam stuck with the stock setup.
or does sumone have a set they can sell me? i pay with paypal. no hurry as i just brought new spur gears for the stock. ehhee
Old 01-25-2006, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I'm in the market for a new pipe. Anyone have any suggestions? Will the RB logics turbo do the trick or should I look into the skyline VR12 everyone swears by?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
I'm in the market for a new pipe. Anyone have any suggestions? Will the RB logics turbo do the trick or should I look into the skyline VR12 everyone swears by?
I've heard good things about the new cvec, but haven't tried it yet.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bummy
I BROUGHT MINE OF EBAY. the front and rear for very cheap. almost half price.
so have we heard anything about that steering.
i went to order the light weight 2 speed assembly today, and frontline hobbies here in aussie which is the importer for hpi says they have no listing on it. weird hey. guess iam stuck with the stock setup.
or does sumone have a set they can sell me? i pay with paypal. no hurry as i just brought new spur gears for the stock. ehhee
Here ya go!

http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-Lightweight-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
I haven't shimmed my steering because its never really caused any problems. Mine don't really lift. I just get a little bit of movement. You should be able to shim from the top or bottom as long as nothing binds. I seem to remember people shimming the top. I haven't had any tracking problems that wern't caused by my steering servo. Maybe one of the guys that did this mod can shed more light on it. I was thinking of shimming just because I like things nice and tight.
LOL ! I have no problems as far as sticking or returning to center. In fact it steers quite well except for the slight mid corner push. Like you I just cant stand slop anywhere & there is a little in that one crank. Thanx Man!
Old 01-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GBagRacing
LOL ! I have no problems as far as sticking or returning to center. In fact it steers quite well except for the slight mid corner push. Like you I just cant stand slop anywhere & there is a little in that one crank. Thanx Man!
AMGracer poster back a ways that getting the aluminum front sway bar mounts fixed the mid corner push tendancy.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah I have at various times had a mid corner push with the car. I have a couple of fixes to that problem.

1. Get the 2005 kit. No word of a lie, box standard the 2005 has far less mid corner push in the fast stuff and especially on transition.
2. On a grippy track with very high speed corners (I am talking top of 2nd gear into a sweeper without braking) I have used the graphite arms and the alloy swaybar holder to get the car to have more "precision" whilest turning. Its not really a "push" per se its more of a "wandering" or lack of steering response when the chassis is really rolling.

I have never had a low speed mid corner push that I could not eliminate with springs and shocks. Where are you getting yours?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

I've desperately tried to get the integy oneway diff and or 3racing, but they never came through. I just had to settle for the standard R40 oneway diff. I'd really like to get the05 version, but it costs just way too much, not to mention I've upgraded my older R40 to the point where even if it were to be sold, I wouldn't get much for it. Still being standard, I'm capable of beating other rides and that's already been proven. The car is being broken down and cleaned up for a practice run at FBF on saturday, and a run at bridgeport sunday.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
I've desperately tried to get the integy oneway diff and or 3racing, but they never came through. I just had to settle for the standard R40 oneway diff. I'd really like to get the05 version, but it costs just way too much, not to mention I've upgraded my older R40 to the point where even if it were to be sold, I wouldn't get much for it. Still being standard, I'm capable of beating other rides and that's already been proven. The car is being broken down and cleaned up for a practice run at FBF on saturday, and a run at bridgeport sunday.
Are those other oneways lighter or something?? I have never seen em..........
Old 01-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

AI said the 3racing one is lighter than the HPI r40 one. Ah well, since I can't get it the HPi will work fine. I'd need it for the bridgeport track as there's some nice turns you can see in the pics.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
I can vouch for power hobby , good seller for sure. One of the ones I like going through.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

BTW Ill snap some shots of the 3racing one-way , its a LW one-way, in even two ways. Its pretty cool. Sadly all photos of it on the net are small and dont show the lightweight drive cups that come with it.

Even if im not using the one-way , im thinking on buying another to just get the drive cups...lol.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Here ya go. Kinda self explanitory once you see them. Funny enough though 3racing doesnt list them as a lightweight one-way. If you read it on a parts list it just says one-way. A third benefit is once you have worn the one piece of the drive cups , you can just swap to the other slots.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey people

I gave up on the R40 that had the steering problem, went over the whole car with somebody who is racing in the top for 8 years and he was just as puzzeld as i am.

As for HPI not replying to emails...that also made me go to another brand car!
My guess is that they realy dont know what to do with emails about the "notorius" steering problem some people have and therefor just dont reply...

Anyway's, i have bought the Serpent 710...if i had known the difference in quality at first i wouldent choose the R40! The serpent feels way better, stronger material, perfect fitting, much nicer finish, all (almost) hex screws, stiffeners against torgue (dont know how much they actually work but it looks good), reason enough for me to have the serpent as favorit.

One thing that i think is bad on the serpent design, the reciever box and the placing off that box. It is wide open for dirt, cant place the reciever in a decent way in the box, next thing is the lacking off space for a switch...no place cut out for that at all
I am done 99% with building and will see this weekend how the car performs for my needs
Thanks all for your advice and help on the R40 problem!!

Ron
Old 01-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

Glad it works for you. My friend had a busted oneway in his 710 that prevented him from being able to run. He prefered the handling of my R40 anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.