Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
Now are you basing your opinions on the actual left to right weignt distribution of the original R40? Does the original design have more weight on the engine side? I am curious to know if you have done this. Also, how does removing the battery door and wedging everything under the top deck make it easier to work on?
I will attempt to post some pictures of my car on the balancing posts in its COMPLETED form.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Alright then. 1st pic shows the car balanced on some flathead screws (the way I always do it cause I am cheap) Unfortunately its does not show the wheels all that well but if anybody thinks I am making this up too bad.

The next pic shows the car on the balance posts, balanced, and the chunk of cleaning goop i used to get it perfectly balanced. Note how close to the centreline the goop actually is.

The next pic shows how much weight I needed to use to get it perfectly balanced.

The last pic shows my car bone stock ready to race minus fuel and airfilter.

Anybody who has ever raced an RC car knows that putting 13g on the car to get it balanced is considered to be a WELL balanced car from the box.
Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-dsc_0176.jpg   HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-dsc_0177.jpg   HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-dsc_0178.jpg   HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-dsc_0179.jpg  
Old 01-13-2006, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Very cool. Thanks for doing all that AMG! I'd be willing to bet that the balance will be much better with fuel in the tank. Your car is pretty light too. When you said you didn't have the 2 speed on for your previous weight, I thought it would end up heavier then 1800g. I really like your balancing posts. Just my style!
Old 01-13-2006, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Very cool. Thanks for doing all that AMG! I'd be willing to bet that the balance will be much better with fuel in the tank. Your car is pretty light too. When you said you didn't have the 2 speed on for your previous weight, I thought it would end up heavier then 1800g. I really like your balancing posts. Just my style!
No problems Roy. As I said before when I originally saw the pictures I had the exact same thoughts as the other guy, but after building the car fully I could see what HPI have done with the weight.

I have built and raced around 8 electric chassis over my time and I have always needed around 10-30g to balance most of them (some more!!) so I was pretty happy with my rough 13g on the 2005.

I was quite pleased with the built weight of the 2005, remember mine is absolutely stock with no additional lightening parts added. My buddies MTX4 he just built weighs 1790g so the new R40 is certainly in the hunt. When I eventually put all the Ti screws through it again it should pull a bit out again.

Yeah when you can do the balance with some screws why mess around with Hudy posts!!
Old 01-13-2006, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What did the 2004 need to balance it and which side?
Old 01-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
What did the 2004 need to balance it and which side?
It was underweight the other side to the 2005, the total amount I forget but it was not a huge amount. I balanced it when I first got it, then could not be bothered after that because I was running at club events only. I have pulled all my electronics out of my 2004 now so somebody with one could perhaps tell us.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Here is the HPI pack
Thanks for the response, Roy, but I could not find any places that sell that pack. Do you know of any online stores that stock it? I searched Google, but only a couple of Japanese sites came up, and I have no idea how to order from them.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Tech Addict

Well ran my car for the second time today, with yesterday bieng practise.I am very impressed at the new car i really like it. Pretty much out of the box i found it quick for some unkown reason with my 2004 spec i had to run 3 deg toe in at the rear but know i can get away with 2 deg and still have the rear sitting well. The only problem i had was the two holes that i mentioned before, the rear arms for the droop screw, you cannot use the forward hole the chassis it too thick and i found i could not get enough droop on the rear. But still a nice car finshed a whole day and a 20min final with no problems at all.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AMGRacer
My 800 gets me through 4 x 5minutes and 1 x 20 minutes on 1 charge so I totally agree. I believe the HPI hump pack may be a Japan only item. Try RC Champ or one of the HK shops. I got mine from Harmony models.
Here is where AMG got his from
Old 01-13-2006, 11:31 PM
Tech Master

not hpi but it is in the US and should work....
http://www.southeastrc.com/item/TRIRC5308
Old 01-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Guys,

I drove a borrowed R40 for a little at the beginning of 05, what has changed with the kit since then with the intoduction of the 05 spec? I have read something of V2 shocks etc... Would it come with univerals upfront?

Edit: opps... forgot about overdrive question on the 05 kit or not?

I look forward to hearing from you all shortly

H_O

Last edited by hooked_on; 01-13-2006 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Wally
Old 01-13-2006, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I tried in vain to find it in his website, but Speedtech has the AAA reciever packs. I asked him what they looked like and he pulled one off the shelf to show me...
Old 01-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
I tried in vain to find it in his website, but Speedtech has the AAA reciever packs. I asked him what they looked like and he pulled one off the shelf to show me...
The website is
www.speedtechrc.com

I just checked, and they don't have the HPI one listed. You could always give steve a call to see if he has it. There is one for the mtx3 by RDlogics but with no picture so I can't tell if it is the correct configuration.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why not try this one:
http://www.skylinercracing.com/store/P_47.htm
Old 01-14-2006, 04:47 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

or this one....http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCKM2&P=7

Trinity Receiver NiMH Pack Hump 5 Cell 800mAh AAA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.