Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 05:19 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by AMGRacer
For the owners of the R40 is the advantage of getting the diffs out of the car faster useful? I very rarely take mine out of my car, but I am interested in what others do.
thats only part of it....The whole car is designed to be easy to work on....the servos come out easy....the top try never needs to come off...but does come off easy if needed..

getting the diffs out right now is not a big deal(since it has low maintence gear diffs)......but when they come out with ball diffs..or if you want to switch to one way in front...OR,if you want to build extra gear diffs with different weight silicone for tuning,it's a GREAT feature..

seems that all the latest(and greatest) cars are bieng designed this way...
Old 11-25-2003, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

rc_alan,

Like many on this forum, I have owned many on-road touring cars. There are good points and bad points that you can find with any one of them. However, if the R40 is that bad and seems that cheap to you, why don't you sell it and get another NTC3, V-One-RR, or whatever your heart desires. I have read your posts and you are putting down the car in your own, unique way. Just like your NTC3s, I had one, didn't like certain features on it, and traded it for a Tmaxx to a friend that loves the car. It was a good car but to me wasn't the easiest to work on, especially replacing broken suspension arms. But, I don't knock the car on chat forums just because. Constructive criticism on this forum is fine, but constantly putting the product down while promoting other is not that cool, especially since the other cars you mention have their own forums. If you have useful info to share, cool; if you are going to continue to promote and bash, take it somewhere else.

Last edited by JLock; 11-25-2003 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:08 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by C0NTENDER
rc_alan,

I have to agree with icon, any reference you make suggesting that the R40 is like a RTR is totally off base. What would you like the R40 to come with. The only thing I recall you mentioning is a front one-way, and we have already shot that down as not being a major need since all tracks don't require a front one-way not to mention that everyone can't drive with a front one-way. So what is your list of "what should have been included"?
It seems to me that if you disregard the idea that a one-way is a must, then the only thing remotely RTR is the plastic shocks. And if thats the case, the the only thing making Serpent's 705, and new 710, "team" cars is the fact that they come with a one-way. Becasue they too come with plastic shocks This would also apply to Xray's top electric car since they too come with plastic shocks......but do include a one-way.

Now I've openly admitted that I'm "missing something" with rc_alan's point about the RTR thing. But since he argues his point so politely with no flaming, I've simply left it to us having a different opinion on the matter.

But I might be getting a better grasp of it. It seems that for a car to be a serious race car, it needs to have one of two things, or both. A one-way and/or aluminum shocks. And since the R40 doesn't....well.

This isn't to say that this is what rc_alan means by his comments, its just what I'm seeming to notice about whats being discussed.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:15 AM
Regional Moderator

The funny thing about all this is why we're so concerned about what 'type' of car the R40 is supposed to be.

The Yokomo MR4TC started it's life as certified "budget" kit, and made its way to being World Champion.

So I guess it all goes back to that same old saying. Its not where you start, its were you finish!

And no matter where the R40 kit is starting (RTR in some eyes, Race Car in other eyes) it seems to be finishing quite well of late.

So whats the big deal...
Old 11-25-2003, 07:33 AM
Tech Regular

I totally agree. Most RTR cars dont come with universals and the manufacturers cut corners to on certain part quality, cheaper screws, or engine mounts or go to dogbones, etc.

I agree, I would like metal shocks, I bought them but that doesnt make the car RTR. I guess every Serpent is RTR then. They all have plastic pulleys, plastic shocks it comes with a one way, but some want diffs so I guess they make them RTRs. LOL

Getting to the diffs is only half of it. No other belt car has such easy access to the shafts for a belt change. And fastharry's point about switching gear diffs with different weight oils or swapping a one way is dead on.

I guess the R40 in Japan isn't RTR quality since they sell a kit with a one-way and metal shocks there.

The most important point is price. for 260 you get a great car at a great price. All the other TEAM cars cost 100 more, for less than that I can add the one way and metal shocks and lite shafts IF i want to. Bang for the buck the R40 can't be beat. Especially when it comes to replacement parts.

Oh and as for keeping the car clean. no other belt. car is as easy either, due to the diff/belt acess, and those two great clips that you quicly remove to get the tank out. Only the shaft drive cars are easier in that regard.

And I am not an HPI bigot, I own a TC3, 2 Impulses and have owned every other Serpent too. But the R40 is the most refined belt car out now. Maybe the 710 will change that who know and at what price will it be.

The R40 is a great car, totally capable of winning, nuf said.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:55 AM
Regional Moderator

treky11: I was going to ask about how easy it is to clean the car, but I guess you've all ready answered that! I know while I was cleaning my Reflex, I had to duck and peek into all sorts of holes and spots to get the car completely clean. It was a real bear to get that tank clean since it couldn't be removed. And the pack really got dirty since it was right between the tank and engine block. Yukkk! At least I could pull the pack out easy to clean it. I would supposed that with the enclosed battery box on the R40, that the battery doesn't get very dirty.

As for being a fan of HPI. I owned one once. It was a micro that was a ball to assemble and play with. I just hope the R40 goes together as well as that HPI kit did.

The only thing that concerns me is the centax style clutch. This will be the first I've built. I have calipers and all so that I can do the proper measurements, but I've seen so many people struggle to get these things built right the first time out, that I'm a little apprehensive about that part of building the kit.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:34 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Can we cut the little arguement / flaming or whatever is going on here? Discussion about the car is fine, personal attacks aren't.

Thanks...
-Troy
Old 11-25-2003, 10:40 AM
Tech Regular

The centax is easy. (granted i used them on serpents before). The HPI instrux arent so good there. Go to the serpent site, there are some great articles on centax clutches there. Don't worry.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

2 questions...

1. How is the Nitro Star 12R XS engine? (Has any one had one, driven with one or heard any thing about it?)

2. Where can I get online a japenese R40 kit? Because I don't want to get that RTR r40 that comes with no engine, no cheap radio, plastic shocks and no one way J/k
Old 11-25-2003, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

look back in this forum, someone listed a site to buy the japanese version from. it was a cheaper way to go if you want the metal shocks and only a one-way.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:38 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by jhigga15
How is the Nitro Star 12R XS engine? (Has any one had one, driven with one or heard any thing about it?)
I asked the same question a while back. I even started a thread about it. The answer I got was that the HPI .12R XS is just a re-branded STS engine. I decided to investigate this since you can never be too sure if the info your getting is correct.

After comparing...
-Specs
-Heatsink head design, shape, etc...
-Carb design, shape, etc...
and even
-Engine block shape, design, fin placement, etc..

I've found that the report I got was correct. The only difference between the STS .12, 3 port and the HPI .12R XS is the color of the head and the label on the engine block.

So since STS engines are pretty well respected, I would guess that the .12R XS is also a pretty good engine. Its on my short list of engines I want to put in my R40. I'm upgrading from a .12TR.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:43 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by treky11
The centax is easy. (granted i used them on serpents before). The HPI instrux arent so good there. Go to the serpent site, there are some great articles on centax clutches there. Don't worry.
Hey treky11, can you point me to one of those articles. With a link perhaps. I usually don't have much luck when I'm looking around on serpents site. So much stuff there, its easy to get lost.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks
Old 11-25-2003, 05:37 PM
Tech Regular

Well they are in there. I know its a pain without a search engine to find. There is a lot of stuff in the forums and i believe they did a few publications too.

There is also a detailed section with pics in their tech book, its in the menu on the left. choose tech book the go to the 705 or another car and go to the centax section.

This link should work

http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?sn=2&pid=6967&exp=91

but browse around, there is a lot of usefull stuff there.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:10 PM
Tech Addict

My original question got lost in this thread.

R40 optional hollow shafts:

are these made of steel? i'm assuming they are since i would think aluminum be a bit weak to make into hollow main shaft and hollow midshaft.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:36 PM
Regional Moderator

treky11: thanks I'll check it out and do some looking around.

With so much useful info to be had on their site, they really should slap a search engine on there somewhere!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.