Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 04:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WeatherB
I always thought HPI had awesome parts support so I bought the Pro 4 and the R40.

Pro 4 parts were hard to find, but I thought it was because it's a new car. But at least everything went together really well during assembly.

The R40 is a different story... I get the kit and start assembling it only to find out that the one-way bearing is missing from the 2 speed hub. I called the hobby shop I bought it from and the guy said he doesn't have any in stock to give me. I call HPI and they said that a new one will be sent to me on Tuesday (they're closed Friday and Monday). I tried calling all my local hobby shops and no one has that part in stock (most only have the plastic suspension parts). I finally just placed a massive parts order with Tower Hobbies and requested UPS Express.

R40 questions:

1. Did anyone notice that the mid belt rubs against their manifold? I need to run the belt tensioner about 1/2 way down to make it clear. Is this normal or should I try grinding some of the manifold?

2. The tuned pipe mounting system seems very weak. Anyone have problems with it? If so, what is the best solution?

tnx
That's what happened with my first R40, it took roughly two weeks to get the new housing with the bearing in it.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fastharry
not to change the subject...but I have to be honest.I tried the Rd logics TURBO II pipe....i wasn't overly impressed with its performance....and less impressed with its construction......(as fas as being able to withstand a side impact)...
I agree on its construction. At least on another issue, I had to dremel down some areas and it still looks like my pipe isnt perfectly mandrel bent or perfectly centered on the flange. It has a little kink on one side and inside the pipe looks like it might have this kink as well.

I couldnt really judge power vs others as I havent tried anything else on this motor specifically. But my car had what I thought a nice power-band and the sound was pretty much amazing.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:33 AM
Tech Addict

performula,
That would explain why HPI didn't ask me for any proof or anything. They just said to throw it away and they'll EMS me a new one. It's very sad that even though they weigh everything (and ever put a huge sticker on the side of the box), they can still miss a heavy one-way.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fastharry
not to change the subject...but I have to be honest.I tried the Rd logics TURBO II pipe....i wasn't overly impressed with its performance....and less impressed with its construction......(as fas as being able to withstand a side impact)...
I can get any Skyline .12 pipe for $54, shipped. Very nice piece and a screamer.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:20 AM
Tech Addict

I'm running the Paris Turbo ring and bought a JPL one-piece (in the mail)
Old 05-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Default how to

is there an easy way to remove the pinions?

EDIT: got it... just had to get the right wrench and a thick enough rag to keep from screwing it up.

Last edited by onnetz; 05-29-2005 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Not really. Your better off just buying a whole new clutch bell/
Old 05-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

As I have said numerous times, channel locks, and the HPI pinion tool. I have used this tool over 100 times with never a problem. I only have 2 clutchbells.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Anyone know of any good bearing kits? Has anyone tried the yeah racing bearing kits?
Old 05-29-2005, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

I see absolutely no reason to buy a whole new clutchbell as I got it just fine the way I did it, but I will be getting a pinion tool.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

When I got pinnions I just got a new bell also. It makes it easier at the track when you need a quick switch. I had 3 different sets (yellow,green and the purple.)
Old 05-29-2005, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

Hey guy,
I ran the car today and have two questions:

1. Should I hear a distinctive shifting sound from the two-speed? I couldn't hear anything while I was running it.

2. The steering has a lot of slop in it and during acc and braking the car pulls to the right and left. Anyone have this problem?
Old 05-29-2005, 07:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

I don't know about the stock 2 speed but you should hear the rpm's drop a little and then come back up. No one has fixed the steering problem yet.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by WeatherB
Hey guy,
I ran the car today and have two questions:

1. Should I hear a distinctive shifting sound from the two-speed? I couldn't hear anything while I was running it.

2. The steering has a lot of slop in it and during acc and braking the car pulls to the right and left. Anyone have this problem?
1. Sometimes there is no shift noise wiht the 1 module gearing. Hold the car in the air and slowly apply throttle.

2. There should be almost 0 slop on a new car.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nsxshogun
I don't know about the stock 2 speed but you should hear the rpm's drop a little and then come back up. No one has fixed the steering problem yet.
Some slop, yes. Pulling from side to side, no. I ran a 30 minute final the other day and my car has a bit of slop in the steering. Drove arrow straight down the back straight for the full 30 minutes.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.