Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum >

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Old 12-17-2004, 10:12 PM
Tech Master

The .8 gearing is taller, but those that are running the .8 say that the included .8 gears pull as hard as the ones on the stock 2 speed.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a question about a lighter chassis for the r40. What is a good one to use? HPI offers their own but i found a couple of others. 3Racing makes one, if you go to www.3racing.com.hk you will see it. Also alot of people on ebay sell one, It doesnt specify a brand but here is what that one looks like Click here. Any suggestions?
Old 12-18-2004, 09:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Maxx
I have a question about a lighter chassis for the r40. What is a good one to use? HPI offers their own but i found a couple of others. 3Racing makes one, if you go to www.3racing.com.hk you will see it. Also alot of people on ebay sell one, It doesnt specify a brand but here is what that one looks like Click here. Any suggestions?
MAXX - Check out page 137 of this thread...
Old 12-20-2004, 08:32 AM
BF
Tech Apprentice

I keep popping front knuckles. I do this by hitting things but that is not the point . The point is the knuckle cariers crack and you can't see the cracks. But it's the cracks in the cariers that let the balls free.

I'm not buying anymore front knuckle sets until they make a graphite set.

Just do it.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:44 AM
Tech Addict

I keep popping front knuckles. I do this by hitting things but that is not the point . The point is the knuckle cariers crack and you can't see the cracks. But it's the cracks in the cariers that let the balls free.
I use a thin layer of 2 part epoxy on the top and bottom of the knuckles(where the crack usually forms). It reinforces them a little. The knuckles will still break it just takes a little more force to break them.

The R40 was my first car so I broke a ton of knuckles learning to drive this car.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:06 AM

Has anyone got hold of the new belts yet?? Where?
Old 12-20-2004, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by fastharry
Trust me..the 2004 kit exist's..I have 2 unbuilt kits....they also include the lw motor mounts and ti screws....

RCMODEL.com has them....You can't blame the guy for giving you that answer.....He's not required to know another countrys product....I can tell you I'm a Miele vacuum and appliance dealer in NJ.......I could care less what Miele vacs they sell in germany.....

Harry - What is the weigth on the 04 Spec car? Can you please describe if weight is race-ready or not. thanks.

My R40 (raceready by my definition anyway) is 1895 grams. My other totally stock car is at 1975 grams. I have the lightweight shafts, lightweight battery, light-weight 2-spd, and graphite shock towers, and Alum. shocks. I realize I can save 20 grams with the lw chassis which would get me to 1875. Do you know how much weight savings the titanium screw kit provides?

Please suggest a R40 diet for me to get to 1800 grams.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by JAG Racing; 12-20-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 4WD overdrive settings

Originally posted by AMGRacer
The pivot balls I am talking about are here:

http://www.gpmracing.com.hk/car/page/r40_1.jpg

I am not saying that they are brilliant, but they are lighter (I weighed them) and they have lasted around 5-6 months so far.
AMG,

How much did one of the Titanium pivot Balls weight? I weighted the stock one at about 3.5 grams per. How about any of the other titanium options on the link? Do you have any of them? Weights?

Thanks,
Old 12-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Default Thrust Bearing

Hey, would anyone know if a thrust bearing from a Mugen MTX3 work on a R40 clutch? I want to run tonight at the track, and I'm coming short on resources. The track will most likely have the mugen parts over the R40.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Maxx
The 3Racing chassis is almost the same weight as the stock item. Only the Hara chassis and the HPI lightweight chassis are significantly lighter than the stock chassis from what I have found.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by BF

I'm not buying anymore front knuckle sets until they make a graphite set.

Just do it.
Where you racing at man, I have not seen you for a while. At wynnum if you hit those ropes while going quickly you can pull out the hubs, happened to me a few times. However it is because the rope grabs the wheels/axles unlike many other track borders which dont grab as much.

I have a feeling that a graphite set would be even more brittle, probably would not help greatly. If it is a chronic problem you can get alloy ones from a few sources.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by JAG Racing
Harry - What is the weigth on the 04 Spec car? Can you please describe if weight is race-ready or not. thanks.

My R40 (raceready by my definition anyway) is 1895 grams. My other totally stock car is at 1975 grams. I have the lightweight shafts, lightweight battery, light-weight 2-spd, and graphite shock towers, and Alum. shocks. I realize I can save 20 grams with the lw chassis which would get me to 1875. Do you know how much weight savings the titanium screw kit provides?

Please suggest a R40 diet for me to get to 1800 grams.

Thanks in advance!
Are you running rubber tires and a front oneway? I can get my car down to 1730g ready to run using foams and a oneway with the 2004 spec car and the lightweight battery. With rubber tires and a front diff it gets up over 1800g.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by AMGRacer
Are you running rubber tires and a front oneway? I can get my car down to 1730g ready to run using foams and a oneway with the 2004 spec car and the lightweight battery. With rubber tires and a front diff it gets up over 1800g.
AMG - I run BSR capped radials which weigh about the same as a foam ( 25g per tire/wheel ). I am forced to run front diff at my track. Wonder if I can buy the rear spool and use it in the front?

Do you run rear diff or spool? What am I missing?
Old 12-20-2004, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by JAG Racing
AMG - I run BSR capped radials which weigh about the same as a foam ( 25g per tire/wheel ). I am forced to run front diff at my track. Wonder if I can buy the rear spool and use it in the front?

Do you run rear diff or spool? What am I missing?
I will recheck all my weights tonight, been running rubber spec for a while now. You can make the front diff into a spool.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

I gotsa problem. When my car is sitting still it hardly turns to the right and when I turn it left the wheels don't center untill I turn the whell to the right. I think somethings binding somewhere.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.