HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum >

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Old 10-02-2004, 08:47 AM
BF
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by JAG Racing
I missed this thread... can you paste the URL for us?
Page 127
Originally posted by Thad Garner
The 72210 piston profile provides slightly better dampening. The grey kit pistons have rounded sides the accelerates the oil around the sides of the piston rather then 100% thru the holes. Because the 72210 pistons are machined they are super precise. The flat sides and tight fit make for improved dampening.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:58 AM
BF
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: Re: R40 - Weight Reduction Question

Originally posted by AMGRacer
Yep this is the same reading that I got for my HPI light chassis. If you get all the 2004 hopups you should see around 1725g ready to run
I'm at 1790g just now and have finally removed all the tweak from the car by replacing the rear bulkhead At least I think that's what fixed it.

I'll have to wait till Monday to give it a run as the State Electric Titles are on down at the track this week end. I might slip down there tomorrow for the finals anyway and grab a few pics Bound to be plenty of hot shells in the line up.

Last edited by BF; 10-02-2004 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Currently building my R40. Will be done later on in the morning. Got the 1400nimh pack also with discount on the total price. Post pics later in the evening time or morning.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: R40 - Weight Reduction Question

Originally posted by BF
I'm at 1790g just now and have finally removed all the tweak from the car by replacing the rear bulkhead At least I think that's what fixed it.

I'll have to wait till Monday to give it a run as the State Electric Titles are on down at the track this week end. I might slip down there tomorrow for the finals anyway and grab a few pics Bound to be plenty of hot shells in the line up.
Yeah I was running my 415 in the modified class My shell was not so hot tho
Old 10-04-2004, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I mainly follow the HPI Pro4 thread...but thought a few people here might be interested in this.

thanks..sorry to go into the nitro thread :P

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=51915

Last edited by Nexus; 10-06-2004 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: R40 Turnbuckle slipping?

Yes this does happen, usually in a crash. It only happens very rarely on my car. I think if you have had it happen enough the ballcups will strip, try replacing them and see how that goes.
Thanks AMG - Replacing the plastic ballcups took care of the problem.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: R40 Turnbuckle slipping?

Thanks AMG - Replacing the plastic ballcups took care of the problem.
I thought it should. but if you are chronically whacking the rear wheels into hard boards it will happen again Most of the tracks I run at are fairly easy on the car.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:48 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: R40 Turnbuckle slipping?

I thought it should. but if you are chronically whacking the rear wheels into hard boards it will happen again Most of the tracks I run at are fairly easy on the car.
My R40 is hooked up REAL nice these days ( on concrete surface ) and I am actually running clean races so I think I'll be OK (famous last words right?). I did buy some additonal turnbuckle combinations that should bail me out of trouble in case I need them.

Too bad 4mm reverse thread jam nuts are so hard to find. Ultimate soluton would be to use the stock turnbuckle ( as FastHarry stated ) along with some thin jam nuts.

If anyone has invested in the tooling costs( 4mm taps, std and rev thread ), maybe they can sell some pairs of jam nuts at a reasonable price??
Old 10-04-2004, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R40 Turnbuckle slipping?

My R40 is hooked up REAL nice these days ( on concrete surface ) and I am actually running clean races so I think I'll be OK (famous last words right?). I did buy some additonal turnbuckle combinations that should bail me out of trouble in case I need them.

Too bad 4mm reverse thread jam nuts are so hard to find. Ultimate soluton would be to use the stock turnbuckle ( as FastHarry stated ) along with some thin jam nuts.

If anyone has invested in the tooling costs( 4mm taps, std and rev thread ), maybe they can sell some pairs of jam nuts at a reasonable price??
Interesting you run on concrete? Are you using foam or rubber on that surface?
Old 10-04-2004, 10:08 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R40 Turnbuckle slipping?

I gave up on the Take-Offs, Sorex, HPI rubber tires with inserts. I am running the BSR capped rubber tires. But, there are many guys out here that still prefer the Rubber / insert combinations on concrete.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:37 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

just use those PRO LINE Tmaxx rod ends,and you won't have a problem........
Old 10-05-2004, 08:18 AM
BF
Tech Apprentice

Talking of rod ends, every time I order A313 steering rod ends from tower (twice so far) I get rod ends that don't fit, they are too big. The packet says A313 - 4.8mm rod ends but they are too big. Am I missing something here?
Old 10-05-2004, 08:24 AM
BF
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R40 Turnbuckle slipping?

I note a couple of the regulars at Bayside are running 24mm sorex on 26mm rims with good results. With the weather nudging 30C, 40R will be working after mid morning.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R40 Turnbuckle slipping?

Originally posted by BF
I note a couple of the regulars at Bayside are running 24mm sorex on 26mm rims with good results. With the weather nudging 30C, 40R will be working after mid morning.
One common rubber/insert combination at our location on concrete is the Take-Off CS-32 with the HPI 24mm blue firm insert. This insert fills in the air gap much better and provides a firmer sidewall which in my opinion is one of the tricks to getting the tire combination right when you are using "electric" tires on your nitro car. I have gone through hundreds of dollars just experimenting with many combinations.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Weird how my foams that came with the R40 look like GRP foams. Anyway, I thought the manual wasn't as bad as I heard it was, and the car seems noticiably heavier that most cars, but I don't think its really a threat to my acceleration. Maybe this will even help me from spinning out a little, due the xtreme lightness of my NEO TNT. Anyone filled the rear diff on the stock R40 with any fluid? If so, which one? I'm running nothing there and the included 50,000k. Car runs really smooth. I like it a lot. Glad I didn't get the NTC3. No offense, but I like the looks of this car better. Will post a review of a test run sometime this week when I get time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.