Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum >

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Old 09-01-2003, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by The Sleeper
adlawoo and Regg,

I have ran 6 or 7 tanks thru my R40 and the belts are fine. I wonder if you guys got the pulleys mixed up. There are different sizes. On the side belt (the longest belt), the rear pulley is 19 tooth and the front pulley is 23 tooth. And then, a 18 tooth pulley goes in for the front diff belt. If your pulleys are somehow in the wrong place, I can see how that would tear your belts.

One other thing, my kit had a 22 tooth pulley that's not being used. It could be easily be mistaken for the 23 tooth.
I checked my build and the pulleys are all in the correct spots. I managed to find a tempoary solution by swaping out the rear belt and replacing it with one from the yokomo GT-4 it's a bit loose even after setting it up for maximum tension. but it did work very well and is holding up better then the stock belts.

also noticed that the spur gears are prone to chipping as well as the pinions
Old 09-01-2003, 04:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Belts

Same here....all were(pulleys) okey and on the right places...Thanks Sleepers for pointing that out! I guess it will surely be notice, if it's mistakenly (pulley) misplaced - front belt tension will be tight or vice versa....

I may try my Reflex front belt, but then it will be loose for sure(Reflex-67T/R40-64T)...will see and I'll just change the tension set-up probably will work like Regg's
Old 09-01-2003, 07:34 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Belts

Originally posted by adlawoo
I may try my Reflex front belt, but then it will be loose for sure(Reflex-67T/R40-64T)...
If you're looking for alternative belts, you can try Serpent's kevlar belts. The 705's front belt is 64T (192 mm). There is a 4 mm and a 5 mm option belt.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: Belts

Originally posted by InitialD
If you're looking for alternative belts, you can try Serpent's kevlar belts. The 705's front belt is 64T (192 mm). There is a 4 mm and a 5 mm option belt.

Thanks! Will try that...but my bad, I should have said it like this...the Reflex/Kyosho rear belt (192) & HPI A727 belt (189-63T)
Old 09-02-2003, 12:46 PM
Tech Addict

I already have about about 15 runs on my car which equals out to be about 20 or so tanks and I havent even chiped a gear or had any problems with my belts. I have been running on a parking lot track every weekend for the past 3 1/2 weeks. If you guys are running on parking lots make sure there isnt to much loss gravel or sand that could be causing this.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:47 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: side belt tensioner

Originally posted by HPIRACER310
nevermind. problem solved.
I am having the same problem with my tensioner. What did you do to fix it?
Old 09-02-2003, 08:29 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: side belt tensioner

Originally posted by BallPy
I am having the same problem with my tensioner. What did you do to fix it?
take the tensioner off the the car.

easy fix. use some fine sand paper (preferably on a flat surface) to sand down the inside of the plastic washers (the sides that touch the bearings). you could sand the outside of the washer, just a matter of preference to reduce overall width.

hope this helps.

Last edited by HPIRACER310; 09-02-2003 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Frank, here goes (see you in Vegas with my new car)

OK, almost done building my R40. Yes I bought one to race at the worlds. Will it replace my NTC3 as car of choice, don't know yet. It will have to show me a lot to make me leave the ease of working on a NTC3.

Anyway, here are the things I would like to see improved or corrected.

1. Metal shocks - a pro car shouldn't come with plastic shocks
2. Bearings for the steering. Bushings in a pro car
3. The front arms have front to back slop if they are installed with the spacers shown in the directions
4. The plastic looks different, but when you put a screw in it still feels like the old HPI plastic
5. Fix the directions.
6. Include all the setup/tuning guide info with the kit.
7. SPARE PARTS, SPARE PARTS, SPARE PARTS, where are they
8. There is extremely little room between the gas tank and the slide carb, seems like the tank could have about an 1/8 of an inch removed from the mold where it comes close to the slide carb to give a touch more room.
9. Urethane belts should be on a pro car
10. Too much slop in the steering, particularly in the area where the flanged bearings go into the swing rack. there is either wobble or binding if you tighten the screws all the way.
11. Stronger servo guard for the steering servo.
12. Fix the knuckles/uprights to be tighter where the alum cups screw in. They are way too loose.
13. The clutch is too tight even when shimmed correctly or not shimmed. and yes many have complained about this. The tolerances are off somewhere.
14. Include grease for the thrust bearing
15. Many kits have the 2x10 and 2x12 pins bagged with the wrong size or missing
16. Include graphite shock towers
17. Pre- thread the clutch shoes for the set screw

Other general wishes

1. Bring the kit with the metal shocks/one-way to the US
2. Lightweight driveshafts
3. A bumper that floats like the one in the NTC3
4. Collars with set screws on the driveshafts rather than plastic spacers.
5. Include a set screw on the roll pins in the universals. Yes the bearing holds it in place but when you remove a wheel, the hex hub can come off, then the pin falls out, then the universal moves and next thing you know the pin falls out cause the bearing is stuck in the upright.
6. Heatsink/finned engine mounts
7. Include titanium turnbuckles in the kit.
8. If the stock shock towers have to be alum, at least make them purple
9. Have a mark on the plastic pulleys to show the number of teeth on the pulley itself
10. Metal pulleys included (and not the way too heavy steel ones that HPI made for the racer)
11. Come out with a full option kit near the same price

Things I like.

1. The Rx box and the way it floats (although I want to know why Hara ran his car differently )
2. The gas tank on posts with clips, easy to remove !
3. The battery compartment/placement
4. The diffs are meaty
5. The downstops/up-travel being in the sway bar mount. AWESOME, now you don't loose your setup when you break an arm
6. The bearing capturing the pin in the universal
7. The rubber mounts for the front hingepins, provided they hold up.
8. The adjustable steering servo mount design

I am sure there will be more. I'll update as they come to me. Overall a well designed kit. Now lets see how it performs.

:

Last edited by treky11; 09-03-2003 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Default HPI R40 Nitro Car vs:

Guys;

Has anyone had the Chance to do a side by side comparison between the R40, V1-Evo and G4?

They all look very similar in design.

Just curious, Thank.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Tech Regular

I finished my kit but am having trouble with it free rolling. If I have the side belt off the car rolls free...with the belt on it doesn't really roll that free. Only thing I can compare it to is my MTX-3 which rolled free.

I checked the gears and I seem to have the correct ones installed.

18T front middle, 23T front side
19 rear middle and side.

Anyone have this problem?

Thanks,
Puma
Old 09-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i just ran my r40 for the first time today. this car handles like a dream. it almost handles like my tc3 on carpet. i im ready for the big race in my town.

Last edited by Omar; 09-03-2003 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by puma1824
I finished my kit but am having trouble with it free rolling. If I have the side belt off the car rolls free...with the belt on it doesn't really roll that free. Only thing I can compare it to is my MTX-3 which rolled free.

I checked the gears and I seem to have the correct ones installed.

18T front middle, 23T front side
19 rear middle and side.

Anyone have this problem?

Thanks,
Puma

Puma..

my car rolls fine.....with the side belt off,roll the rear and front side gears with your hands......something is binding front or back....you don't have the side belt tension too tigght,do ya?..

if you have the wrong pulleys,it will show up when you roll the car...Try rolling the front and rear wheels seperately on the table...I used that all the time on my racer2's when IO couldn't find that hidden rock..
Old 09-03-2003, 06:04 PM
Tech Adept

Default suspension tech

Havent started her up yet, probly this weekend. still waiting on a steering servo to arrive in the mail.

What's a good starting point or neutral setting for droop?

I have Hpi threaded aluminum shocks on the car.
64.50 mm overall shock length, with the ride height set at 4mm front / 5mm rear.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

just so you guys are aware..

parts(all the main stuff like arms,belts,hinge pins etc) are in stock at tower...

alot of them are limited supply...
Old 09-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by fastharry
Puma..

my car rolls fine.....with the side belt off,roll the rear and front side gears with your hands......something is binding front or back....you don't have the side belt tension too tigght,do ya?..

if you have the wrong pulleys,it will show up when you roll the car...Try rolling the front and rear wheels seperately on the table...I used that all the time on my racer2's when IO couldn't find that hidden rock..
With the side belt off or when I roll the rear and front side gears with my hands everything is smooth. If I take off the belt tensioner and only have the side belt on it's back to not rolling freely.

I triple checked the installed gears and everything seems to be correct.

I'm confused

-Puma

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.