Hi Frank, here goes (see you in Vegas with my new car)
OK, almost done building my R40. Yes I bought one to race at the worlds. Will it replace my NTC3 as car of choice, don't know yet. It will have to show me a lot to make me leave the ease of working on a NTC3.
Anyway, here are the things I would like to see improved or corrected.
1. Metal shocks - a pro car shouldn't come with plastic shocks
2. Bearings for the steering. Bushings in a pro car
3. The front arms have front to back slop if they are installed with the spacers shown in the directions
4. The plastic looks different, but when you put a screw in it still feels like the old HPI plastic
5. Fix the directions.
6. Include all the setup/tuning guide info with the kit.
7. SPARE PARTS, SPARE PARTS, SPARE PARTS, where are they
8. There is extremely little room between the gas tank and the slide carb, seems like the tank could have about an 1/8 of an inch removed from the mold where it comes close to the slide carb to give a touch more room.
9. Urethane belts should be on a pro car
10. Too much slop in the steering, particularly in the area where the flanged bearings go into the swing rack. there is either wobble or binding if you tighten the screws all the way.
11. Stronger servo guard for the steering servo.
12. Fix the knuckles/uprights to be tighter where the alum cups screw in. They are way too loose.
13. The clutch is too tight even when shimmed correctly or not shimmed. and yes many have complained about this. The tolerances are off somewhere.
14. Include grease for the thrust bearing
15. Many kits have the 2x10 and 2x12 pins bagged with the wrong size or missing
16. Include graphite shock towers
17. Pre- thread the clutch shoes for the set screw
Other general wishes
1. Bring the kit with the metal shocks/one-way to the US
2. Lightweight driveshafts
3. A bumper that floats like the one in the NTC3
4. Collars with set screws on the driveshafts rather than plastic spacers.
5. Include a set screw on the roll pins in the universals. Yes the bearing holds it in place but when you remove a wheel, the hex hub can come off, then the pin falls out, then the universal moves and next thing you know the pin falls out cause the bearing is stuck in the upright.
6. Heatsink/finned engine mounts
7. Include titanium turnbuckles in the kit.
8. If the stock shock towers have to be alum, at least make them purple
9. Have a mark on the plastic pulleys to show the number of teeth on the pulley itself
10. Metal pulleys included (and not the way too heavy steel ones that HPI made for the racer)
11. Come out with a full option kit near the same price
Things I like.
1. The Rx box and the way it floats (although I want to know why Hara ran his car differently
2. The gas tank on posts with clips, easy to remove !
3. The battery compartment/placement
4. The diffs are meaty
5. The downstops/up-travel being in the sway bar mount. AWESOME, now you don't loose your setup when you break an arm
6. The bearing capturing the pin in the universal
7. The rubber mounts for the front hingepins, provided they hold up.
8. The adjustable steering servo mount design
I am sure there will be more. I'll update as they come to me. Overall a well designed kit. Now lets see how it performs.