Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum >

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Old 06-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I'd really like to race my NEO TNT as its been doing so great for me but that requires finding my way to Manhatten to get parts at AHC. Really wish my LHS had those parts that he thought he did. All I ask for is one right rear hub. Anyway here is a chassis shot. Springs, MT12, THS pipe and GRPs are all goin on the R40 since I doubt I'll get the neo parts soon.
Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-mvc-007s.jpg  
Old 06-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by goldenboy
the only reason you can get it from tower, is because they get all there stuff from the distributor great planes, and great planes also does have the replacement gears and spurs, so yes they are available. but also the other main distributor horizon hobby, they now stock the .8 module. that is who i got mine from. so if your local hobby shops gets htere stuff from either gp or hh, then you are fine.
Yeah, you are right, I just found it from TOWER site too....from 20T to 29T (0.8 module)......thanks
Old 06-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Tech Regular

harkonnend:

the r40 will be awesome, just remember to pick up some green gears while you're at it!

also, the MT12 will be perfect for floyd. it is a track where mid range speed is king, besides the straight, but then again, remember that it is layed out for the majority of 8th scales

the stock setup should do well there, i am going to try it next time i go. found out my chassy was tweaked, which wore out my tires pretty badly.

dont want to sound like your mother, but double check all adjustments once you're ready to go!

also, your skyline body will need a hole near the direct center of the windshield, with the top of the circle just past the top edge of the windshield banner.
i suggest just getting a new body, the alfa seems to do good there.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally posted by tranced
harkonnend:

the r40 will be awesome, just remember to pick up some green gears while you're at it!

also, the MT12 will be perfect for floyd. it is a track where mid range speed is king, besides the straight, but then again, remember that it is layed out for the majority of 8th scales

the stock setup should do well there, i am going to try it next time i go. found out my chassy was tweaked, which wore out my tires pretty badly.

dont want to sound like your mother, but double check all adjustments once you're ready to go!

also, your skyline body will need a hole near the direct center of the windshield, with the top of the circle just past the top edge of the windshield banner. i suggest just getting a new body, the alfa seems to do good there.
Kool. I'll check out that body then. What about those GTP style bodies? How are those? Seeing them more on 10th scales now. Believe it or not I got a stock futaba S3003 in my current sedan and with a 5cell hump pack it does great. The hitec 625MG is in my buggy at the moment. I'll snag the R40 soon once I stack up some more cash.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by Rookie Solara
Hey AMG (and others), I believed my R40 is in the air over the middle of USA now....so I want to collect some gears information for the R40 for this up coming weekend race and see how R40 handle compare to my NTC3.

Anyhow, I don't believe I can get the 0.8 module in USA beside Tower, but there is no reason to get that yet because they only carrry the kit, they don't have any other SPUR or PINION for sale, I am not going to run the stock gears forever, so I will wait..

My question is....for MID-LARGE size track, what is a good combination spur and pinion that you recomment? I have no idea what my R40 (used) came with, so give me some head up...

Thanks
Rookie...You might find this hard to believe(I was told this be Thad Garner,and I didn't believe it till I saw it)...

The .08 module,even though it has a higher gear ratio,has more pickup then the stock gearing.....and it has more top speed than my old 2 sp which was geared higher in second....

On our edison track,with a 200 ft back straight ,an OS turbo,and Stock .8 ratios,this car was faster down the backstretch than just about every car there......(eccept treckys Nova 5 port R40,with the same gearing.....)...

Try the stock ratios first.....

BTW,out our tues night track,which last night had a 100 straight,the r40 was faster than the 5 port RB tc3's......and an equal to the 710 with 5 port Rody..and my car was running 255 degrees.......

One more thing.....for those running the OS turbo.......Give that engine about a gallon to break in.....and run the Dynamite pipe # 6614 on it.......

That pipe and motor run great....I tried the RB logics turbo II pipe on the car........wasn't close to the dynamite.....In Fact,the 710 guy tried it this week also on the rody.....and he wan't impressed either....
Old 06-16-2004, 08:01 AM
Tech Rookie

fast harry,

I'm new to this forum and have a couple of questions i hope you could answer or anyone at that.

1. is the .8 ratio what comes in the r40 light wieght 2sp?
2.which pipe whould you reccomend for a nova mega 3 port MS edition
3.what the best spacing for your tranny clutch...should you leave it as HPI says....
Old 06-16-2004, 08:27 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by fastharry
Rookie...You might find this hard to believe(I was told this be Thad Garner,and I didn't believe it till I saw it)...

The .08 module,even though it has a higher gear ratio,has more pickup then the stock gearing.....and it has more top speed than my old 2 sp which was geared higher in second....

On our edison track,with a 200 ft back straight ,an OS turbo,and Stock .8 ratios,this car was faster down the backstretch than just about every car there......(eccept treckys Nova 5 port R40,with the same gearing.....)...

BTW,out our tues night track,which last night had a 100 straight,the r40 was faster than the 5 port RB tc3's......and an equal to the 710 with 5 port Rody..and my car was running 255 degrees.......

One more thing.....for those running the OS turbo.......Give that engine about a gallon to break in.....and run the Dynamite pipe # 6614 on it.......

That pipe and motor run great....I tried the RB logics turbo II pipe on the car........wasn't close to the dynamite.....In Fact,the 710 guy tried it this week also on the rody.....and he wan't impressed either....
FastHarry.....according from Fedex, I should have the R40 at my door after work today............and because of you, I will order the 0.8 module today............after all the talk without actually owning a R40, I can finally join the R40 camp with 1 on my hand (again..)
I can understand the more pick up from the 0.8, the finer the pitch, the more PICK UP that you can get (you can see those 64 pitch gears on elect TC and 12th scale..) And about the top end faster then the stock 1.0........that I cannot explain, but I will BELIEVE and if 0.8 is better all around, what is the reason that I am not getting one...? No reason at all...

Darn.........now you tell me the TURBO 2 are not that good compare to the dynamite one.......I brought that pipe 3 months ago because I was planninng to get the 2004 spec, and now, I have the R40, and you tell me to get the Dynamite one....man, I can't collect RC stuff like you....I don't have a 3000 SF RC room to collect almost 300 RC cars like you....LOL.

Anyhow, I will see I can crank up the R40 in 2 days.......I sill believe the NTC3 is a faster and better handling car, but I hope FASTHARRY (and others of course) and the R40 will prove me wrong....from the last time I drove the R4O from my friend that I was helped to tune, the R40 does have the protential to make me put the NTC3 on ebay.....

For those 0.8 module user, the stock spur are 54/60, what about the pinion...? Also, Fastharry and others, what is a good gearings for the 0.8? I have to order them from TOWER....

I think there are couple of 0.8 module team driver setup sheet from the HPI Japan site that I can try....
Old 06-16-2004, 08:33 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by thefisherman
fast harry,

I'm new to this forum and have a couple of questions i hope you could answer or anyone at that.

1. is the .8 ratio what comes in the r40 light wieght 2sp?
2.which pipe whould you reccomend for a nova mega 3 port MS edition
3.what the best spacing for your tranny clutch...should you leave it as HPI says....
Fast Harry can verify my answer...but I will try to help here..

(1) The 2-speed that came with the R40 (not completely understand what you are asking...) is NOT the 0.8 module nor Light weight........you have to purchase a seperate 2-speed gear box, parts # is #87173, and that will give you the 0.8 module and the light weight 2-speed gearing and housing, except you still use the stock centax clutch housing.

(2) See FastHarry's post above....just not sure exactly what part # that is...

(3) Yes, you can use the stock HPI setting between 0.5mm -0.7mm, however, I have good luck with spacing between 0.3mm - 0.5mm, it gives me a little bit faster respond clutch timing and more like regular 2-shoes clutch feeling, however, that gives more wear on your clutch shoes...shoes will be shaved much faster.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:50 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Picked up a win over the weekend with the R40. But I also broke it for the first time. Popped my steering knuckle off over the pivot balls and broke a universal. Nothing unusual for a nitro car.

For the first time though, I'm getting to see how ridiculous the parts ordering for the car is. It reminds me of the only thing I hated about my Tamiya cars of the past. Frickin' parts trees!

I mean come on, why should I have to buy a complete bulkhead set, just to get a new set of knuckles? Or why should I have to buy a whole arm set just to get the pivot ball pads?(which I lost when the knuckle pull over the pivot balls)

If I have to do it, I have to do it, but that don't mean I gotta like it! At least the car doesn't break too often, so hopefully I wont have a bunch of useless parts sitting around for nothing.

Or I guess I could take the new upper bulkhead I'm forced to buy, and mill it a little to see if I can make one thats lighter but still strong.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Darkseid
Picked up a win over the weekend with the R40. But I also broke it for the first time. Popped my steering knuckle off over the pivot balls and broke a universal. Nothing unusual for a nitro car.

For the first time though, I'm getting to see how ridiculous the parts ordering for the car is. It reminds me of the only thing I hated about my Tamiya cars of the past. Frickin' parts trees!

I mean come on, why should I have to buy a complete bulkhead set, just to get a new set of knuckles? Or why should I have to buy a whole arm set just to get the pivot ball pads?(which I lost when the knuckle pull over the pivot balls)

If I have to do it, I have to do it, but that don't mean I gotta like it! At least the car doesn't break too often, so hopefully I wont have a bunch of useless parts sitting around for nothing.

Or I guess I could take the new upper bulkhead I'm forced to buy, and mill it a little to see if I can make one thats lighter but still strong.
I understand that completely, but I can give you 2 information that makes you feel better...

(1) If you own a Mugen or Serpent car......you pay $7 for 1 steering knuckle......now, you have about the same $9 to buy a pair of steering knuckle along with some other parts that you MIGHT need........can you garantee you will not break the bulkhead next week..? Those extra parts might save you a race day next week (I dont' want to jinks you...but you know, sh_t happens...)...you have to understand the cost of the HPI parts...if the whole trees is selling for $9, then 1 steering kncukle will be like $2.....with packaging the stuff, it will ended up to $4 each, and that is EACH....now, you want to pay $9 for both plus extra or $4 each with no extra....?

(2) If 1 day, you decided to part out your R40.........you will have TONS of parts to take picture of and make your deal looks great and you can ask for more...........I knew that cause my SNRS4 have tons of parts that I don't need, but they definitely looks good on EBAY and actracte a lot of ppl......
Old 06-16-2004, 09:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Darkseid I know what you mean three weekends in a row broke three front hubs now i have enough parts to build about 4 or 5 cars two ready to race and a bunch of dam parts
Old 06-16-2004, 09:18 AM
Tech Champion

Anyone tried to SWAP the front steering hub with SERPENT or MUGEN hub (along with pivot balls of course)........I do not think SERPENT is any BETTER then HPI (cause I have uncountable amount of steering knuckle replaced for the Impulse)...but they might be A HAIR stronger then HPI...

Never tried Mugen or Kyosho......they might be better, might be the same.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:20 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Darkseid
That is a good idea............mill it as much as you could untill you cannot mill it anymore........."1 gram is 1 gram"....you are 1 gram lighter is always better then 1 gram heavier....here and there, you might shaved 5 grams overall...
Old 06-16-2004, 09:28 AM

The mugen hubs should fit, they also use 8mm pivot balls just like HPI. It looks like the US and overseas .8m 2 speed kits have different ratios; Can anybody confirm this?
Old 06-16-2004, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by fastharry

I absolutely concur with Fastharry. When I got my 0.8 gearbox I looked at the ratios and I was very surprised. The 1st gear is significatly longer than the 1.0 module stock gearing and the 2nd gear is much much longer. I thought this would make the car sluggish, but in fact it is fast as all heck. The 0.8 module box for some reason can run longer gearing and be as responsive, if not more so than the 1.0 gearing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.