Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Had my second race with the R40 this weekend. One word....sweet!

I was getting compliments all day on how this "HPI" managed to look as good as or better than any other car on the track. I spent most of my time messing with my 2 speed trying to get it to shift early enough. This was a result of going from a REALLY big track to my usual track which needs quicker shifting on the straight. No biggy though, just race day tuning.

No breakage and no gremlins this time! Just a really good car, handling really well. Qualified 3rd for the A-main, but the A-main was rained out...
Old 04-19-2004, 01:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally posted by tranced
where can i buy the rear carbon shock tower ? the HPI one
I think Kawahara has shock towers if my mind not playing tricks but i'll try to check to make sure
Old 04-19-2004, 02:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default RB Concept X12 Rody

I need help here.

Do you guys know from where we can order an RB Concept X12 Rody?

I am searching for those engines all over the place ...I saw a lot of messages, but I cannot find a place selling it.

Any idea?
Old 04-19-2004, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by tranced
where can i buy the rear carbon shock tower ? the HPI one
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGBT1&P=7

BTW,I heard the car runs even better with the shock towers....
Old 04-19-2004, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: RB Concept X12 Rody

Originally posted by Frag
I need help here.

I am searching for those engines all over the place ...I saw a lot of messages, but I cannot find a place selling it.

Any idea?

Call Cruisin' RC's in Ramsey NJ..201 825 4884.....

ask for RON BOSCO....(he's off tonite).....He's also the owner,,,

You tell him fastharry told you to call and give you a good deal(if he has it in stock)....
Old 04-19-2004, 04:11 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: RB Concept X12 Rody

I need help here.

Any idea?
Why do you want this particular motor?
Old 04-19-2004, 05:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

My first weekend with the R40 had was overall pleasing. This past weekend I was in Atlanta for the XRAY/Hudy spring challenge. The first day out with the car I was overall happy with the kit settings. I ended up using AE copper springs all the way around, and HPI 37 tires f/r. I was only able to get one good qualifier in but I ran out of fuel on the last lap with 1/3 of the track to go. Because of that, I ended up qualifying in the "D"og main. If I hadn't run out of fuel I would have qualified 9th or 10th overall placing me in a good position to bump up to the A from the B. After bumping up to the C main, I had problems where I ran out of fuel. Unfortunately, that dropped me about almost 3 laps down. I finished about a lap down from the leader. Oh well.

The reason for only one good qualifier (4 total) was in the first qual I had major engine problems, the car seemed to slow. The second qualifier, my plug (serpent 6) burnt out. 3rd qual, broke the bearing (only the bearing and nothing else) in the steering plate that connects the bellcranks. Since the track does not support the R40 (mostly mugen, serpent, associated) I had to make a trip out to Hobbytown just a few minutes down the road. Other problems I had was setting the clutch, took me awhile but finally got it close. Also, my two speed was shifting way to early. It seems like I almost had to lock the screws down to get it to shift later. Oh, and lost the side belt due to a loose tensioner. Other than that I was quite pleased on how well the car handled. My fastest lap during practice was a 17.1, with consitent lap times between 17.1-17.4. I believe the fastest lap time was Uriah with a 16.7. I think the car did quite well considering that the engine only had 1/2 gallon through it, my clutch settings were not quite there and I was running a non-modified NS3 using 30% nitro.

ENGINE PROBLEM: After messing with my car for two days and not getting it tuned properly, I almost gave up and was going to buy another motor. I know it had been a year since I had run a nitro car, but tuning a nitro engine is not something you forget. I enlisted the help of Art Carbonell and even he was puzzled. He finally said that it had to be a bad carb. Luckily.....I had a spare engine (JP mod RR12L5) so I pulled the carb. PRESTO.......no more tuning problems. My car now accelerated faster.

Also took a side hit on the servo which cracked both servo ears (ERG WRX).

Oh, and while I was there...I put in an order with Uriah for an engine. After seeing how fast his motor was.....I was sold. It seemed as fast, if not faster than my Richey motor I used to run. I do miss my Richey motor because I was able to run 6-7 minutes with tons of power and at only 220-230. It seems that my NS3 motor loves to run hot.....anywhere from 260-280. I would love to richen it more, but we all know the fuel problems with the R40.

And for those who doubt the durability of the new 2 spd, don't. Didn't loose any teeth.

The only change I will make to my car is lay down the front shocks even more, and run 30k diff fluid rather than the 10k I have in right now.

One last thing. I didn't that the R40 was such an acrobat. It did quite a few flips end over end. LUCKILY nothing broke. It seems as if I will be sticking with this car. The only thing I have to replace now is the pipe. It took some heave hits and I ended up breaking one of the flanges where the spring goes between the header and pipe.

Jeff
Old 04-19-2004, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Proteus great post! Man you broke some gear! Funny thing is almost everything you mentioned has been mentioned in this thread before............. Interesting.

Sounds like your car was pretty much on the pace, which is exactly what I found with my R40.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey guys,

about the steering servo problem that's getting hit a lot on the R40 while racing, someone said ealier that futaba are making low profile servos (9550 is I remember) that will praticly fix that problem. That servo is digital though, and I don't think it will work with standard receiver right?

Do you know any other companies that do low profile servos?
Old 04-19-2004, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Hey guys,

about the steering servo problem that's getting hit a lot on the R40 while racing, someone said ealier that futaba are making low profile servos (9550 is I remember) that will praticly fix that problem. That servo is digital though, and I don't think it will work with standard receiver right?

Do you know any other companies that do low profile servos?
Digital servos work with standard receivers. I dont personally know of any other shorty servos.

The 9550 is evry exposed again when you go to the lightweight top deck for the R40. Less so than a standard servo of course. Once you go to the lightweight top deck and you are busting servos I think you will need some form of stronger guard.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)
Default Proteus

Seems that you had a eventful weekend. I wish I could have made it to GA, for the race but not in my plans. The R40 is a excellent car, and I think you have covered just about every issue the rest of us have been experiencing. The S9550i sthe fix all for servo issue's, I am ordering a second for my throttle. But they are unavailable here so far. I keep hearing how the R40 is a great small track car, and would get lost in the pack on larger tracks. I cant wait to prove everyone wrong.
I also just picked up the new HPI aero status. Looks cool. New parts added this week are the HPI TI screws, GPM brake pulley/brake mount, C/F frt arm mounts, servo saver and Steering plate from 3 racing. I am still adding stuff as I go. I would recommend relacing the HPI CVD's with # racing ones, I destroyed 3 large wheel bearings with the pins gouging the inside of the race's, therfeor taking out the axle, bearing, pin, and dogbone. quite costly to keep replacing. With the 3 racing axles, I havent had one failure. My LHS has all the 3 Racing parts you need, call him with inquires at 203-330-1788 ACESNITRORC.com.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Proteus

Originally posted by Vr6vroom
Seems that you had a eventful weekend. I wish I could have made it to GA, for the race but not in my plans. The R40 is a excellent car, and I think you have covered just about every issue the rest of us have been experiencing. The S9550i sthe fix all for servo issue's, I am ordering a second for my throttle. But they are unavailable here so far. I keep hearing how the R40 is a great small track car, and would get lost in the pack on larger tracks. I cant wait to prove everyone wrong.
I also just picked up the new HPI aero status. Looks cool. New parts added this week are the HPI TI screws, GPM brake pulley/brake mount, C/F frt arm mounts, servo saver and Steering plate from 3 racing. I am still adding stuff as I go. I would recommend relacing the HPI CVD's with # racing ones, I destroyed 3 large wheel bearings with the pins gouging the inside of the race's, therfeor taking out the axle, bearing, pin, and dogbone. quite costly to keep replacing. With the 3 racing axles, I havent had one failure. My LHS has all the 3 Racing parts you need, call him with inquires at 203-330-1788 ACESNITRORC.com.
I ran my R40 at a track which would be considered large and I received the comment "That is the best looking R40 I have seen" after a few heats. It works nicely on large tracks.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

frag, if you check with horizon hobby they have it back in stock.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)
Default Big tracks

Amg,
What kinda ratios are you running. THe tracks are going to run in the area of 150' x 75' very fast style tracks. Check out the JacksonRC.com, being one, and RcMadness.com for another, just very large tracks. I will be running on a 1/8th scale track this weekend. I will keep ya posted.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Big tracks

Originally posted by Vr6vroom
Amg,
What kinda ratios are you running. THe tracks are going to run in the area of 150' x 75' very fast style tracks. Check out the JacksonRC.com, being one, and RcMadness.com for another, just very large tracks. I will be running on a 1/8th scale track this weekend. I will keep ya posted.
The track I will be running this weekend has around a 180+ foot straight. Basically I put the biggest gearing on the car immediately since I am using foam tires and they usually are around 57mm which reduces the rollout significantly. Most cars dont even have a tall enough 2nd gear for this track, they peak before the end of the straight. A tuning hint in this case is to add a shim to the head which will free your motor up a little to rev more but it costs a little low end punch. You will notice this done on many HPI team driver setup sheets where they are running on a large track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.