Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum >

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Old 03-30-2004, 11:00 AM
Tech Addict

There is a 2004 Spec edition on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=44015

You can trust Kaliboy. I sold him a Pro2 years ago. He lives in Maryland,races@ the "Track" if anyone was worried.

Last edited by CraigH; 03-30-2004 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Excellent....Can you give me some others models with an estimate price please......i dont want to spend more than 230 on the engine.

Thanx a lot for your help.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:04 AM
Tech Rookie

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCSN9&P=0

do yall know if that body will fit the r40 or any other body like that

nitro13,
Old 03-30-2004, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

It looks like it will fit if you remove the foam bumper and top bumper brace but you may want to check to see if GTP or Lola type bodies are legal at your track. Most clubs do not alow for thease body types in the nitro sedan classes.

Mark
Old 03-30-2004, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Rookie Solara
...Tell me, do I need to switch to FW-05R, or MTX3, or G4 or ...........get a stock R40 and trust me, the day I received the stock R40 in my hand, HPI USA will RELEASE the 2004 spec immediately after....trust me, I have all kind of LUCK like that.......
I like my R40 and was really hoping that HPI USA would sell the 04Spec and upgrade package here in the US. I moved away from HPI in the past because they didn't seem to want to support the "racers." Well, now it looks like they've thrown us a bone with the R40 but that's as far as it goes. If they have no commitment to improving and supporting their car in the US, I'll have to once again look to another mfg. If the new Yokomo comes out this summer and the 04Spec parts don't...I'll be Yok driver again. It's a shame too because I just completed my Pro4 to race HPIs side by side in different classes.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:39 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I guess I'm just missing the point of this whole thing. HPI releases a good car, supports it with parts, continued developement and hop ups, yet they aren't committed to it because they didn't bring this version of it to the US?

To see all the people complaining about this here tells me that some people have been living in a cave for the last few years. This isn't the first time an RC company has released a car overseas but not in the US? It happens all the time. And the fact that this car comes with basically the same hop ups that many people here complaining the most already have is even more confusing to me. I honestly don't get why it matters if they bring this car here, if you already have the parts on your current car???

I'm not saying you guys shouldn't be upset, for whatever reason you happen to be upset. All I'm saying is I don't get what the big deal is about this 2004 thing. The same funk was in place when people found out that a version with aluminum shocks and the one-way was released over seas. Yet people somehow got over that. So somehow I think everyone will recover from this hidious crime HPI has commited with the 2004 car!

It just seems to me that some people here, even those who like the car, are just waiting for something to be suspect about. Why??? Do you like the car or not?
Old 03-30-2004, 12:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I think the different is...................stock R40, need at least $150 of upgrade to be kinda like 2004 spec...that is like $400 plus
The R40 2004.......very much STOCK and ready to race....and it is like $350 or so...

OK, stock R40 is race ready too......may be, but I for sure will not satisfied with the stock R40 (ie, need all those upgrades and kinda match the 04 spec....) and don't think the stock R40 is compactable at our local track.

It is ME only, I am not talking for the others....and I will bid on that 04 spec on ebay and see it will go beyond $450.....LOL.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

People please whats a few hundred grams. Thats like saying I have to bowl with 15.6 pound ball instead of a 16 pounder most people wouldn't feel this diffrence. So Whats so important about allow shocks witch I know are heavier, a super chassis and a new upper deck.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Darkseid
I guess I'm just missing the point of this whole thing. HPI releases a good car, supports it with parts, continued developement and hop ups, yet they aren't committed to it because they didn't bring this version of it to the US?
It just seems that HPI is not commited to their US presence unless the buyers first show them our support by buying more cars. HPI doesn't want to waste their time trying increase their market share because they feel HPI is looked down upon and new parts for the car won't sway anyone over to the HPI car. I'm sure they were hoping for a bigger flurry of new owners with the R40 debuting at the ROAR Nats with a victory. It just hasn't been the case.

However, HPI always seems to want to support Europe and Asia because their products in those continents have a bigger fan base. The R40 and Pro3 haven't been embraced as well here in the US. Hence, no Hara Edition Pro3 and no 04 Spec. The Pro4 is gaining popularity and HPI will support it through the nose because they know the car has been well received here already.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by nsxshogun
People please whats a few hundred grams. Thats like saying I have to bowl with 15.6 pound ball instead of a 16 pounder most people wouldn't feel this diffrence. So Whats so important about allow shocks witch I know are heavier, a super chassis and a new upper deck.
Not really FEW hundred grams (the car will be UNDERWEIGHT and I wish 04 spec does shave few hundred grams....LOL) I think FastHarry mentioned the 2004 spec are good 100 grams plus lighter then the stock R40 (final weight is a little over the ROAR legal weight and very much the same as S710 and Mugens..)..........in the big race or any local A-main races........WEIGHT does matter....and those weight might shave you good 1/4 seconds or so per lap.....for 30-45 minutes main, that is a lot of laps....

Overall, I care the less about the alum shocks, shocks are shocks, as long as the oil, damper and springs are right, I can even use the RS4 shocks and still can run the car....but the upgraded chassis (ligher or actually same weight, but definitely stronger), carbon towers (a hair lighter and better looking), LW middle and gear box shaft (that transfer to speed = faster), LW radio plate (lighter..), front 1-way (you might dirve faster on mid-large track with that) and 0.8 pitch gear box (more low-end punch, faster....?)............those are RACE OPTIONS.....very much a standard LIST of options on other OPTIONED chassis like FT NTC3, S710, MTX3 and G4.........

When you cannot improve your driving skill anymore (like me, driving for 16 years.....not much to improve), you can only improve your car with options.

Last edited by Rookie Solara; 03-30-2004 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by burger
OK, I got my motor in the mail yesterday, and installed the Centax on it. I went ahead and used the HPI flywheel collet included with the kit, and the black shim behind it. When mounting the clutch bell, the flanged bearing overhangs the crank (sg) by about 1mm and I used 2 copper shims and 1 silver shim between the flanged bearing and the thrust bearing. This leaves me with about .5mm of end play.

The clutch bell feels a little sloppy and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to fix this. I may go to a better bearing to see if that helps. I'm worried that this will cause the bearings to fail.

J
The slop is "normal" and as far as I have been able to tell is caused by the bearings. I am not sure whether the bearings themselves have slop or whether they are not fitting tightly into the clutch bell.

In any event I have probably around 5 litres through my car now and the clutch is still like new. If the centax is adjusted right it should last even with the slop.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by nsxshogun
Like Rookie said above once you reach a certain level with your driving it becomes more about your equipment and less about your skill, especially when everybody else is as good (or better!) than you.

MY R40 is still a good 100g heavier than most comparable cars. It does not seem to be hurting me too much, but I am sure it is also not helping me.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

I installed the TI hingepins and the graphite drag plate last night. So far the GPM quality is very very good! The best thing about the pivotballs is that they retain the ability to use the spacers

Item weight savings:

Ti pivotballs x 8 - stock 24 hopup 12
Ti hingepins x 6 - stock 20 hopup 11
Graphite side plate - stock 6 hopup 3
Graphite drag plate - ?? forgot to weigh

So these items saved 24 grams overall, 12 grams in unsprung weight.

Also I am happier with the graphite drag plate, it seems to remove some of the slop between the bearings and the bellcrank arms. The bearings press fit into the graphite plate quite firmly.

I quite like the new look of the car now, all black and graphite looks a little more "mean" than the kinda cheesy purple alloy. The hopup silver chassis should really make the car look clean and mean
Old 03-30-2004, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Does anybody know the weight differential between the stock layshafts and the hollow ones?
Old 03-30-2004, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by mtveten
Does anybody know the weight differential between the stock layshafts and the hollow ones?
I posted this info some pages back. I forget right now but they were around 40-50% lighter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.