Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 12:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Excellent decision by HPI USA........regarding R40 2004 spec...

".........We're looking into that, no firm plans right now though....

HPI Staff................"

Nice...really nice.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

new 2 speed coming out from hpi
Old 03-25-2004, 12:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by JLock
..........Also, the HPI Stratus Aero 2 body is only offered in 190mm only (or at least that is what they are advertising).
They do have 200mm............7484.

I don't think AMG will make that mistake.........and I am sure HPI will not made more mistake beside the 04 spec and HPI challenge.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:57 PM
Tech Rookie

heres a pic of the 2 speed

HPI Racing announces a major new option for the ROAR National Champion HPI R40 nitro sedan, the Light Weight 2 Speed Transmission Set. The new design is lighter than the stock 2 speed, which delivers increased acceleration and a reduction in the overall car weight for faster lap times. In addition to being lighter, the new transmission features a finer gear pitch for increased efficiency and quicker acceleration, and hard anodized alloy clutch bell gears for extended gear life. And, at the request of R40 racers, the gear ratios have been revised for more punch and a higher top speed. This is a "must have" item for R40 owners who compete in race events, and is highly recommended by our team drivers. The set comes with everything needed for the conversion, and complete instructions.

Available soon!
Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-87173.jpg  
Old 03-25-2004, 01:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by cHckbOY5
new 2 speed coming out from hpi
Cool.............at least 1 thing to keep my mind on the R40.....otherwise, I will go race BOAT.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by nitro13
heres a pic of the 2 speed

HPI Racing announces a major new option for the ROAR National Champion HPI R40 nitro sedan, the Light Weight 2 Speed Transmission Set. The new design is lighter than the stock 2 speed, which delivers increased acceleration and a reduction in the overall car weight for faster lap times. In addition to being lighter, the new transmission features a finer gear pitch for increased efficiency and quicker acceleration, and hard anodized alloy clutch bell gears for extended gear life. And, at the request of R40 racers, the gear ratios have been revised for more punch and a higher top speed. This is a "must have" item for R40 owners who compete in race events, and is highly recommended by our team drivers. The set comes with everything needed for the conversion, and complete instructions.

Available soon!
This is the 2 speed unit available in the 2004 conversion kit and also on the 2004 car. Looks pretty sweet and much lighter. However 0.8 module gears are damn annoying, they wear out really quickly.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by JLock
AMG,

I, too, noticed that Protoform and Proline have really shortened up their body listing. I am partial to the Volvo S60 and it is no longer available but bodies that aren't ROAR/IFMAR legal are. What gives with that? Also, the HPI Stratus Aero 2 body is only offered in 190mm only (or at least that is what they are advertising).
HPI Japan has released the Aero 2 in 200mm just recently. I am hoping that it works quite nicely
Old 03-25-2004, 02:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Isn't there a light weight 2spd for the car thought i saw one but can't find it know
Old 03-25-2004, 03:19 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by AMGRacer
However 0.8 module gears are damn annoying, they wear out really quickly.
The ONLY way I would go to finer pitch gears is if I raced on a permanent track. With the beating these gears take, it seems like a waste to purposely go to parts that will wear out faster.

You want "more punch and higher top speed" like HPI says these gears will give you?...well we aint gonna get it if our gears are chewed up after only a couple of races!
Old 03-25-2004, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Darkseid
The ONLY way I would go to finer pitch gears is if I raced on a permanent track. With the beating these gears take, it seems like a waste to purposely go to parts that will wear out faster.

You want "more punch and higher top speed" like HPI says these gears will give you?...well we aint gonna get it if our gears are chewed up after only a couple of races!
Yeah. I ran them on my V1R for a while. I am a reasonably good driver and I for sure could not feel any difference, but I did notice that they got chewed up much faster. Also makes setting your gear mesh just that little more critical.

On the upside the gearbox itself looks much lighter which can only be a good thing. If we could have a lightened clutchbell now HPI............. And some red compound clutch shoes

BTW I emailed Delta about their red clutch shoes for the R40 and got no response. Anybody in the US got a hookup with that company?
Old 03-25-2004, 03:47 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well, I'm not quite as concerned with the weight savings as some of the other R40 owners here! Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a lighter 2 speed, but not at the expense of durability.

Just not a good trade off in my view.

Now that HPI has decided to go graphite with it's suspension components, any chance they'll do it with the other molded items on the car? I know that front bulkhead cap weighs quite a bit and so do all the other bulkhead pieces. Now if HPI really wants to drop some weight, they should take a look at those pieces.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Darkseid
Well, I'm not quite as concerned with the weight savings as some of the other R40 owners here! Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a lighter 2 speed, but not at the expense of durability.

Just not a good trade off in my view.

Now that HPI has decided to go graphite with it's suspension components, any chance they'll do it with the other molded items on the car? I know that front bulkhead cap weighs quite a bit and so do all the other bulkhead pieces. Now if HPI really wants to drop some weight, they should take a look at those pieces.
Its all about the rotating mass man. I will always reduce that mass where possible. And unsprung weight. Biggest improvement you can make on any car after a good setup.

I hope they dont go all graphite, it is just not required and in fact the graphite parts are much more brittle. Arms are useful to reduce unsprung mass, but graphite arms will explode or crack on hard hits.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:55 AM
Tech Addict

been a while since i've visited this thread. i've been working on my Super Nitro lately. is that 2004 edition R40 out yet?

AMGRacer:

need a bit of your wisdom and experience. i know you still have your V One RR, but have you seen the FW05R run against the R40's?
Old 03-26-2004, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

im definelty putting that new 2speed on my shopping list
Old 03-26-2004, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Does anyone know where I can order the 04 conversion kit? Is it even out yet in Japan, I though it was scheduled for a late March release over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.