Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum >

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Old 03-18-2004, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default 4-gear diff modification

Has anybody tried using the lightning 4-gear diff setup like in the setups on the HPI site? I was wondering how this effects the handeling of the car?
Old 03-18-2004, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

so US is not gettin the 2004 kit or upgrade?
Old 03-18-2004, 12:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by cHckbOY5
so US is not gettin the 2004 kit or upgrade?
NO ONE knows.......but it doesn't look like there will be one (since there are NO INFO whatsoever on HPI USA site....)

Everything is SAVAGE...........I heard they will release a 21 powered Savage on road car and Micro with Savage chassis...
Old 03-18-2004, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Setup

Originally posted by Vr6vroom
First RC King,
A lighter diff oil is going to make the differentials rotate faster, thus in turn making the car react faster to any input. There is a point of too light though, that is were some good old fashion track testing helps. Alot of things go into the soup for the right setup. Such as TEMPERATURE, tire size and shore and company, chassis setup, body, gearing, and so fourth. We can only post what is right for our track at that given day, because tommorrow it may bring a whole other type of conditions. But we will try and help with the best of our ability.

Amg never heard back for the Ti pivot balls, where did you order them from.?? I too, ordered the Gpm pieces, Pins, Rotor, Brake mount.
Last,
I too have experieced the motor brace bolt holes being stripped. So I guess we need some screws huh? Also the HPI or 3 Racing brace is a much need support! There is a lot of flex from my point of view right at that spot.
Hmm thats funny I PMed you back. Anyway I got the GPM parts from Harmony Models in Hong Kong. GPM normally is very low quality, but they are cheap and therefore worth testing

I am now running M3 x 25mm screws and they are tight in the holes now, no more coming loose. I also agree with the flex fromt the brace. Lateral flex is low due to its design, but there is a lot of flex in the other directions.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah... The HPI USA site is definately the worst of the three! That's why I prefer the European site better.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)
Default web site?

AMG,
do you have a address for Harmony?
Old 03-18-2004, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: web site?

Originally posted by Vr6vroom
AMG,
do you have a address for Harmony?
They do not have a useful website. Best is to email:

[email protected]

Very good service, very good prices, huge range.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)
Default website

Thanks Amg.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:23 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default First runs...

Well, I finally got in my first runs with the car. And what can I say really? I thought my ReflexNT was pretty well set up, but this car was absolutely hooked! I've never seen any car with this much steering without the use of a one-way. I can't imagine needing one in this car. The car exhibits almost no body roll thanks to the dual sway bars. I started the car with 2.5 degrees of rear camber expecting to have the tires cone on the outside like they did on my Reflex because of body roll. Nope, nadda... In fact I'll have to take it back down some to keep them from coning on the inside.

Hmmm....what else...the car cleans up amazingly well. Very easy to reach everything. I had the car cleaned up from some very dusty running in only 30 minutes.

I found it neccesary to cut some material off the bottoms of the rear hubs to keep small particles from jamming the rear wheels. The tolerances here were simply waaaay too small. Even small sand particles were enough to completely stop a wheel before the modification.

The main belt seems to be a little loose after only 8-10 runs. Thats not good. I'll take up the slack with the tensioner, but the belt doesn't seem to have much of an expected lifespan...could be wrong, but thats the way it looks.

Thats about it for the car. i'm very happy with the car right now and looking forward to the season. I feel confident that this car can compete and win against anything out there with or without all the hop ups that some people have.

-ON A SIDE NOTE- I know this isn't an engine thread, but I must say that my Sirio .12 makes for a perfect partner for the R40. Insane power and speed...simply insane!

This engine and car combo only go to prove my original opinion that with the insane power of modern`1.45+hp engines, the difference between a 1800g car and a 1725g car wont be notice by most mere mortals.

Last edited by Darkseid; 03-18-2004 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: First runs...

Originally posted by Darkseid
Well, I finally got in my first runs with the car. And what can I say really? I thought my ReflexNT was pretty well set up, but this car was absolutely hooked! I've never seen any car with this much steering without the use of a one-way. I can't imagine needing one in this car. *snip*
Hehehehehehehe not bad huh I run a oneway and you should see this badboy turn in
Old 03-18-2004, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

here's HPI's next advertising campaign...

"less time wrenching ....more time running .....
Old 03-18-2004, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by fastharry
here's HPI's next advertising campaign...

"less time wrenching ....more time running .....
I agree except for the motor access issue. It is such a darn pain in the ass to get a motor out of the chassis. Have to remove both braces, very annoying.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

what you guys to setup your cars? Is there a better way than others? I use rpm camber guage. I normally use my eye to adjust the toe. But it looks quite diffcuilt with on road cars. HELP!!
Old 03-19-2004, 01:20 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: First runs...

Originally posted by Darkseid
I found it neccesary to cut some material off the bottoms of the rear hubs to keep small particles from jamming the rear wheels. The tolerances here were simply waaaay too small. Even small sand particles were enough to completely stop a wheel before the modification.
I had the same problem but only with the kit tires. Other tires I use; TRC and Fast Tires; didn't jam up
Old 03-19-2004, 02:52 AM
Tech Master

the r40 a good beginner car?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.