HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 12:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey AMGracer good to see ya out at Brendale on Sat. night, should come out more often. The car looks really good the best I've seen one go at my home track. See ya out there in a month or there is racing on Sunday.Until then keep up the good work.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:16 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Land of the LOST!

Originally posted by Vr6vroom
Are there editable setup sheets for the R40 anywhere?
You can get the blank setup sheet from HPI website. And while you're there, you can see Hara's setup when he won the Nats.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by finchy
Hey AMGracer good to see ya out at Brendale on Sat. night, should come out more often. The car looks really good the best I've seen one go at my home track. See ya out there in a month or there is racing on Sunday.Until then keep up the good work.
Hey man good to see you out there too! Man I forgot how much fun that track is to drive on!! Will definately be back in 4 weeks..........

The most amazing thing was I was running the car with almost out of the box settings and with 63mm Nitro Shoes! With some tweaking I dropped from 22s into low 21s and a best of 13 laps in 5.02. Got plenty more reserves in the tank yet Cut the tires to the right size and a bit better gearing and motor tune and I will have 14 laps, it WILL be mine
Old 03-08-2004, 12:40 AM
Tech Elite

Just a general note to the others on this forum, run the car on the track with a stock setup if you can!! The stock setup so far has been very good on a medium grip twisty and a high grip very long track!! Small changes in tires and body have yielded a car that is IMMEDIATELY on the pace of the top 3 guys at both tracks I have been too!

Only hopups I am running are the Hara towers, hollow shafts and the Ti screws. My car is still a whopping 1900g with a very heavy Alfa 2.1 body on it, and I was equalling or bettering MTX3s and V1Rs on acceleration with a poorly tuned Rody 3 port!

My whine of the week tho is that stupid HPI pinion removal tool. That thing is shocking, dont waste your hard earned. The device to grip the clutchbell is next to useless. Why cant they design a unit like the Mugen tool, that thing is a work of art.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

....You tell 'em son....

And the car DON"T BREAK when you tap the wall either....
I can't wait to see the new version go......

Hey Rookie..ready to throw that 710 into Lake Michigan yet?...
Old 03-08-2004, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by fastharry
....You tell 'em son....

Hey Rookie..ready to throw that 710 into Lake Michigan yet?...
Not rich enough to throw $360 into Lake Michigan yet....but I will run the S710 the other weeks of racing...like 1 week R40 then other week S710.........and compare my time sheet.

Again, that way, I can tell you the different between these 2 cars.......but one thing I can tell you guys for sure, I am sure keeping the R40 will be MUCH CHEAPER then the S710.

Still, no word on R40 2004 spec............I hope US will have that before 05 is here.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Default re: 2004 Spec

Rookie.......

I thought 2004 spec was available on the other side of the big pond, if that is true how about HK ??

As anybody played with the different pully combinations, and what was the results?

Last edited by rkmori; 03-08-2004 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Tech Champion

Nope....not even in Japan....probably end of this month (from Japan) then 3-4 weeks later in USA.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Braking with the One-way Differential

Hi guys.. I'm testing my R40 with the one-way differential, and I notice that when I hit the brakes the car spins. Is that normal?? And if is normal, is there any way to fix that, I don’t know maybe is there any way to make the car brakes with the rear wheels only?
Old 03-09-2004, 07:30 AM
Suspended

Default R40 for sale

Got new in December.

It's a great car and parts are cheap! It's a rolling chassis with no engine, receiver, servos, or exhaust.

Here's the hop ups:

Titanium mid shaft
GPM carbon side plate (behind engine)
Wolfpack Radicals Prototype 2 speed with titanium shaft (uses a smaller and lighter TC3 2 speed shoe setup)
HPI 75cc racing fuel tank (stock is 72cc)
1100mah receiver pack included as well
many screws converted to hex head screws (rcscrewz kit included)
front one-way diff
titanium front turnbuckles

Here's the spare parts:
new chassis (stock)
extra belts (one of each)
full set of arms, knuckles, bulkheads
A few used take-off foam tires included (including tires on car)
one brand new set of take-off foam tires (40's)
extra pinion and spur gears (variety)
extra shock shaft, assorted springs
extra set of axleshafts
pivot balls
outdrive cups

The car is in excellent condition and has been raced only 4 times.

$275 obo and I'll ship it anywhere in the US for free. I accept paypal. If it doesn't sell within a few days, it's going on ebay.

my email is [email protected]
Old 03-09-2004, 07:35 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Braking with the One-way Differential

Originally posted by R40freak
Hi guys.. I'm testing my R40 with the one-way differential, and I notice that when I hit the brakes the car spins. Is that normal?? And if is normal, is there any way to fix that, I don’t know maybe is there any way to make the car brakes with the rear wheels only?
Yes its normal. With a one-way you now have 2 wheel/rear only braking. With a diff you have 4 wheel braking. If you want to drive with a one-way you will have to change your driving style a bit. If you are new to driving a diff may be better for now and once your skills improve you may want to try a one again. Most feel that while a one-way is faster through the turns you need to be a better driver in order to handle the change in the car's dynamics.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Braking with the One-way Differential

Originally posted by R40freak
You will need to adjust your brakes so they do not lock up the rear tires. This is why the car spins. Practice light braking and rolling through turns. You will also be able to get on the power sooner through the turn with the one-way setup.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Tech Champion

Understand front 1-way function, it is designed for ALL SPEED, so, mid-high traction and large track will have full banifit of 1-way.

Downside, you can no longer drive like before....with front 1-way, you can only do light braking and have to let the car SLIDE (entering) corner and let the car do the rest of turning.

A little drag brake will help, and your driving stype must change....try to run it and see your time is any faster, if not, get the gear diff back in.

It is difficult to change the way you drive..........and there is no garantee front 1-way is any faster, it is just most ppl later learn to drive with front 1-way and ended up faster, but that is not necessary happen in your case.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Post Re: Braking with the One-way Differential

Ok thanks for your helps.!! Yes treky11 last weekend I was practicing a lot, at the beginning it was a little hard, but latter I was driven it better and better to the point that I almost didn’t use the brakes, because I notice that is faster through the turns and have a better control in the turns at high speed… what diff oil do you guys use in the rear??... and what setups do you recommend for a medium size tracks with a lot of grip??
Old 03-09-2004, 04:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)
Default r40 blowout

My local hobby shop is blowing out the R40's for cheap.! the cheapest I have seen. You can contact me if you want one, or call Ace's Nitro Hobbies @ 203-330-1788 ask for Angel, tell him I sent ya', and we'll get it shipped to you.

I found the setup sheet finally , but cant edit them, anyone have a suggestion.???
I will try again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.