2008 Great Lakes Challenge - Toledo, Ohio

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 Great Lakes Challenge - Toledo, Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Thanks to the Toledo crew for such a great race. This was my first "big" nitro race ever, and it didn't disappoint.

Special thanks to all the guys that have helped me at this race, and in the past year:

Paul Ciccarello, Aaron Buran, Brian Berry, Mark Unger, Elliott Hart, Jim Herrmann, Greg Aker, and DJ Apolaro.

When I got my sedan last year, I knew ZERO about nitro racing and it lasted all of four races. It pretty much was a throw-away year.

All of you have helped me finally get the car to a point where it can be competitive. It's been frustrating at times for all involved, and I fully appreciate your help and patience.

Can't wait for the next race!
Old 08-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Well I just got home from the race and man I am beat. It was really fun to see old friends and make some new ones. I would like to thank the 1/8 crew for having the event and making sure we had good weather. Thanks to Brian Barry, Dave, Pual, Aaron, Scott and Mike McBride for all the hospitality. I was all alone and they took me in. It was nice to run the 1/8 scale and learn as much as possible in such a short time. For it being my third time running 1/8 scale things went well. Greg is also very correct about Mark. That must have been one of the most fun races I have seen in a while. Mark, as well as others, put on a great show. Greg, your pitting was awesome!

Also, Thanks to My sponsors for the great product. My Serpent 960 was perfect in the final. That combined with the Twister Tires, Novarossi 359 and Maxy's fuel was a great feeling. I was on pace the entire race and anything could have happen. Also a special thanks to Mike McBride and Jamie C. for the great Pit work. No misshaps in the pits the entire run, except for my riding a burm and flipping the car. Congrats to all the winners as every main looked really close.

Till next time,

DJ Apolaro
Old 08-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Congrats

Job well done DJ!
For only your third 1/8 scale race and "Take the Podium", good wheeling!
TwisterTires/ATS are proud of not just your finish but how you represent yourself and our products.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Good Job Apolaro

Originally Posted by dj apolaro
Well I just got home from the race and man I am beat. It was really fun to see old friends and make some new ones. I would like to thank the 1/8 crew for having the event and making sure we had good weather. Thanks to Brian Barry, Dave, Pual, Aaron, Scott and Mike McBride for all the hospitality. I was all alone and they took me in. It was nice to run the 1/8 scale and learn as much as possible in such a short time. For it being my third time running 1/8 scale things went well. Greg is also very correct about Mark. That must have been one of the most fun races I have seen in a while. Mark, as well as others, put on a great show. Greg, your pitting was awesome!

Also, Thanks to My sponsors for the great product. My Serpent 960 was perfect in the final. That combined with the Twister Tires, Novarossi 359 and Maxy's fuel was a great feeling. I was on pace the entire race and anything could have happen. Also a special thanks to Mike McBride and Jamie C. for the great Pit work. No misshaps in the pits the entire run, except for my riding a burm and flipping the car. Congrats to all the winners as every main looked really close.

Till next time,

DJ Apolaro
Congrats Mr Apolaro Excelente JOB
Old 08-05-2008, 05:25 AM
Tech Addict

My race write-up is done as of late last night. That, lots of photos, equipment lists, chassis photos, and reports from several drivers should all be posted on SGrid Online (www.sgrid.com) by late this afternoon. Am now at the airport flying home.

I'll have several more photos posted here by late afternoon or early evening.

I need to finish all this up, then get ready for the Nats at 301 followed by several more events, and finally the electric worlds in Bangkok this coming November.

Thanks, 'guint1'. If you like those photos, you'll like Sunday's even more! My only problem is there are too many of them - will probably do it as another automated flash slideshow, so people can pick and choose which ones they want to see. I've got over 600 photos just from Sunday!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Had a blast awesome event 16 hr drive back home & will trek it again.
Thanks Brian,Ted for an outstanding & smooth event.
It was nice to see some old friends & make new one's.
Congrats to all the Winners & qualifiers who put on a exciting show.
1/8th A Main was the best
Congrats Josh,Scott & Dj Great Job
Bobby Slacker had a blast wheeling it with you.
Andy,Ray Rd 5 was a blast look forward to it again

Just wanted to thank my sponsors
Kyosho America/Team Orion for a flawless car
Murnan Modifieds for that blazing proto type motor 6 min baby
Twister Tires for all the support for this event
Werks Racing Blends Thanks Eric
Brooklyn Hobbies
Real Dental
Special thanks to Uriah for the awesome pitting & Greg Esser for the Mains
Old 08-05-2008, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I wanted to add my thanks also for the entire Toledo crew. Excellent race as always! Thanks also to Aaron Buran for the pit work all week in sedan and Ira and Kurly in GT. Congrats to Ron Torbaugh for the podium in GT with a prototype car, even with the bum servo.

Thanks to Josh for all the help during the week and Bobbo, Andy, McSquish, Ted Flack, Ira, Barry Voltz, Dan Louis, Espo, Kurly, Ian, Nathan, and Ted for the laughs all week. You guys made it a fun week for sure.

Congrats to D.J. for the podium in 1/8, it was nice meeting you and everyone who came by my pit to see the 4PK or the Duratrax Raze GT.

Thanks also to my sponsors for their support which made it possible for me to be there:
Futaba, O.S. Engines, O'Donnell, Duratrax, Great Planes, Much More, Parma/Faskolor, CEFX, RC Manufactory, and M & A Race Logistics.

Rick

Last edited by Rick Vessell; 08-06-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks Josh, Scott, Bobbo, Rick, Cooper, and Ted for all the laughs!
Big thanks to Kyosho and Jaco for all the support that got me on the podium.
I had a ton of fun this year and can't wait for next year.

Rick, Did you ever get that $8 from Hammer?

Josh, Good luck at the Worlds!!!! Have fun and get up on the toes.
P.S. Sorry I taught your daughter to say "Hey Josh" Man that was funny! uhhh, I mean, I'm sorry.

Thanks to Skip Starkey for the kind words of encouragement after watching me try to recover from a slide out of the carousel by using the "Whiskey throttle" technique. "You are going to make a great masters driver some day" -Skip Starkey
Old 08-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

WOW... Not sure where to being, but wanted to say thanks to the Toledo team for putting on a great race. I'd also like to thank Chris Whitney, Greg Esser, DJ, Chicky, Mike Keely, Doug F., Joby and crew, Scott Kimbrow, and Jim Adkins for all the support, pit work, drive line tips, and setup tips.

My sponsors, Maxy for the best fuel, Uriah for incredible HP, Mugen for the MRX4-X, Parma for delivering the R12 body, KO PROPO America for an awesome radio, and Twister Tires for allowing me to laydown the HP to the pavement.

Greg and DJ - Thanks for the comments. I had qualifying times to put me in the show, but my consistency just wasn't there so I had to play the bump up game once again. The C-main it was a good battle with Robert and I and Greg Esser worked his magic in the pits allowing me to get in and out fast enough to make up time and then on the last lap Robert started losing power and allowed me to take the win. In the B-main, I was able to get a great start and the battle for the 2nd bump up spot was a battle for the entire 30 minute race. Mike Strack and I put on one heck of battle the entire 30 minutes exchanging positions, and making some crazy passes throughout the race. With one minute to go I made a costly mistake and it allowed Mike to take the bump up position and head to the A-main while I took the win for the B.

Looking forward to the 8th scale nats next month so bring your A game. I look forward to more battles and good times.

Mark
Old 08-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

There is a lot of 'thanking' going on here, so I might as well ad mine!. This was my first time making it to the GLC but I hope it won't be my last. I'll try and work it out so I can come early enough to be more competetive. Thanks to the whole crew! Special thanks to Dave Berry for pitting me in 2 classes while doing his club duties in tech, keeping his car ready, and pitting for
Brian! He was very busy, and I appreciate the help. Big thanks to Rick Vessell for providing tires for my Prototype Robitronics GT (the ones I brought with were better suited to a drifting contest). I just hope I never have to race GT and 1/8 circuit back to back again! WOW! What a transition...
Old 08-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GUINT1

Also another good job well done
New Yorks Fastest Touring car guy
Qualf 5th on the grid kid...Yes Sir
Jammmmie Corrado. good job man.
Thank you for the kind words. I had alot of fun.

Also a special thanks to Mike McBride and Jamie C. for the great Pit work. No misshaps in the pits the entire run, except for my riding a burm and flipping the car.
DJ Apolaro
Anytime my friend. I should be thanking you though.

Thanks to the entire Toledo crew for an excellent event. Well run race.

Congrats to all the class winners, you all deserve it!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Tech Regular

What can I say, but what a great time...This was my 1st GLC and and definitely will not be my last...Thanks to everyone from the toledo crew for putting a awesome race together what a great racing atmosphere. As for the people I have to thank the list is long but here we go...Jamie, Oscar, Brad, Christian, Chris W, Vince, Uriah, Jeff(You owe me wings), Bobby Flack, and I'm sorry if I forgot anyone but there are so many, for making this one of the funnest races I've been too, see ya next year for sure....
Old 08-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Till next time,

DJ Apolaro

Congrats DJ on the podium finish at the GLC. Way to go!!
Old 08-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

Article is posted. Am now editing 3.4 gigs of photos. It's wonderful to have cameras that take huge images, especially when you want to crop down to just the good stuff, but it sure overwhelms the computer!!!

Josh's report will be posted as soon as I get the pictures up.

There should also be lots of photos here by tomorrow morning, maybe sooner.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Thanks to everyone

Thanks to the One Eighth Crew awsome track,an traction thanks to Murnan Modified for the Nova power.Would love to hve made the A show but a chunked tire stop me from that bump up spot.Thanks to Kyosho America ,Real Dental,Swiss Components,Murnan Modified.Hope to see everyone at the Sedan Nats.B-main Watson

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.