Wiki Posts
Search

What's up with the R40 HPI

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

well,they alwazys seem to have a few bugs...as does every company..

but,you have to admit this...

They are probably one of the quickest in the industry to ADMIT and CORRECT a problem....
Old 07-29-2003, 07:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I hate to be the one to rain on your parade, but since you are getting info from someone who heard from someone, I thought everyone else might want hear that Thad was not even at Revelations this weekend... the only other HPI driver managed 4th in the C main. Which is very good at a track as competive as Revelations considering it's brand new... but light the track on fire... don't think so... not yet anyways.

Now...before I get flamed...this is in no way saying whether the R40 is bad car nor a good car, for that matter.... just too early to say. Plus I couldn't just sit here and let my fellow RC'er be misinformed...one way or another.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:00 PM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i agree!

it is too early to tell
Old 07-29-2003, 08:21 PM
Tech Prophet

I don't know how big the Revelations track is but the smallest final drive ratio for the car in 2nd gear was like 4.9 something. If you're planning to run it on a huge track with small tires, I suggest to think again. From the way I look at it, it's an excellent car for small tracks. The 1st gear final drive ratio goes all the way up close to 7.9 if I'm not mistaken. But then again, I heard that the car is very heavy. Parts fit is excellent (no slop or filing needed) but it's a HEAVY car. The plastics don't look too good either.

Looking at the 2 speed gear box assembly and the spurs, they look A LOT like the one from Impulse

Well, just some of my observations for what it's worth. Like somebody mentioned, the final analysis would be to see the car perform on track and the results should speak for themselves
Old 07-29-2003, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Jonathan
I hate to be the one to rain on your parade, but since you are getting info from someone who heard from someone, I thought everyone else might want hear that Thad was not even at Revelations this weekend... the only other HPI driver managed 4th in the C main. Which is very good at a track as competive as Revelations considering it's brand new... but light the track on fire... don't think so... not yet anyways.

Now...before I get flamed...this is in no way saying whether the R40 is bad car nor a good car, for that matter.... just too early to say. Plus I couldn't just sit here and let my fellow RC'er be misinformed...one way or another.
not that it makes a difference,but he was there on Fri dialing teh car in....

he's going to the NORCCA nats,thats why he left early....
Old 07-30-2003, 09:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Jonathan

FYI - the guy who ran the R40 in the race was running his first race with the car. He works in our marketing department, not R&D and doesn't wrench on the car every day. The one-ways were not available so Thad and the guy who raced were running on diffs. In addition, "the other HPI driver" (I know him, hehe) must race in the expert or pro class with full-time pro racers (like me unfortunately), if he'd been racing in sportsman he would have finished higher I'm sure. Just clarifying, not flaming.

As you say, it is too early to say. However, you have to compare apples to apples as the saying goes.

As for the comments on the car being heavy and the plastics - have you weighed it? How do you know? The car is a little heavier out of the box than a comparative car, but it's not like it's a pound heavier than what's out there. It's just a little heavier. Put in some Ti screws that you have already, don't add the aluminum eye candy and you'll be fine. Also, judging material quality when you haven't even picked up the car is questionable at best. It's easy to say something LOOKS inferior but it's another thing entirely to test drive it and see how it performs. Finally, about the gearing - there are such things as interchangeable gear ratios. They are already made and being tested.

Last edited by Frank McKinney; 07-30-2003 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Tower Hobbies has it for sale...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEAV5&P=7

no info about it though. just a price and a buy now button.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Frank McKinney
FYI - the guy who ran the R40 in the race was running his first race with the car. He works in our marketing department, not R&D and doesn't wrench on the car every day. The one-ways were not available so Thad and the guy who raced were running on diffs. In addition, "the other HPI driver" (I know him, hehe) must race in the expert or pro class with full-time pro racers (like me unfortunately), if he'd been racing in sportsman he would have finished higher I'm sure. Just clarifying, not flaming.

As you say, it is too early to say. However, you have to compare apples to apples as the saying goes.

As for the comments on the car being heavy and the plastics - have you weighed it? How do you know? The car is a little heavier out of the box than a comparative car, but it's not like it's a pound heavier than what's out there. It's just a little heavier. Put in some Ti screws that you have already, don't add the aluminum eye candy and you'll be fine. Also, judging material quality when you haven't even picked up the car is questionable at best. It's easy to say something LOOKS inferior but it's another thing entirely to test drive it and see how it performs. Finally, about the gearing - there are such things as interchangeable gear ratios. They are already made and being tested.

You tell 'em Frank baby...

Lets not kill this car before YOU or WE see it,build it.drive it.....
Old 07-30-2003, 03:43 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Frank McKinney

SSOOOO.............
You are saying you will need hop-up parts for this car!?!?!?
Old 07-30-2003, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

not hop ups just additional gears for
different tracks with the the included
gears being the general gear for
most application. the only hop up
would be a one way wich is not always
needed.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

hey frank..how about an update as to when its shipping from HPI??
Old 07-30-2003, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Red face

Settle down fastharry.

Someone get him some rittlen (sp). He on the HP wagon again.

The only buzz I see is the one you are trying to create.

Every manufacturer will make HPI hopups on history. Heck, they made fortunes selling hopups for all their other money pits! They are dying for another HPI gold mine.

This may be a great car, and it may be a money pit.

Frank - my 2 cents. Looks ok, we'll see when it comes out! But a pro car with plastic shocks, cmon. Even the video on the HPI site shows the guy had metal shocks. One hopup on the list !!
Old 07-30-2003, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

I'm actually a Dell Man..

I gave up Hewlett Packard...(HP,Get it? )

You know you're getting one Treky..

hey frank...tell treky if he doesn't behave,he has to pick from the bottom of the Free Body Bag at the HPI challenge.. in Aug..

Old 07-30-2003, 04:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by treky11
Settle down fastharry.

Someone get him some rittlen (sp). He on the HP wagon again.

The only buzz I see is the one you are trying to create.

Every manufacturer will make HPI hopups on history. Heck, they made fortunes selling hopups for all their other money pits! They are dying for another HPI gold mine.

This may be a great car, and it may be a money pit.

Frank - my 2 cents. Looks ok, we'll see when it comes out! But a pro car with plastic shocks, cmon. Even the video on the HPI site shows the guy had metal shocks. One hopup on the list !!
lol......... the MTX3 has the hop-up gold mine!!
HPI wants it back!!!
Old 07-30-2003, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Don't let any Mugen drivers hear you say that....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.