R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #1036
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bosley View Post
yes, I consider Mike's low traction and 90% 180 degree corners without complicated braking zones like ft meyers. the only high speed chicane is coming on the straight and sort of when you pass the drivers stand but really that is a straight shot with a slight left turn before you go right past the snack bar.

Novarossi, you will have to grind the ackerman a bit on the evo2 (it's always been like this, the diff hasn't been "made for" the RRR series in years)

Here is what you need though, you can find them on shop kyosho using these key words and this manual (the v-one-r)
http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/in...11_v_one_m.pdf

VZ009 - diff casings (i think this has the tiny screws)
92051 - 2x11 pin's
92052 - orings
vz012 - bevel gears
bs107 - steel shafts, you can get these in titanium too
I bought the above parts but it doesn't seem to fit where the bearings sit, am i doing something wrong or the partsabove arent compatable with the EVO 2.

Can some one confirm
speed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #1037
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed6 View Post
I bought the above parts but it doesn't seem to fit where the bearings sit, am i doing something wrong or the partsabove arent compatable with the EVO 2.

Can some one confirm
So, if understand correctly you have built a front diff for your RRR and it doesn't fit in to the bulkheads... let me guess: too wide?

Here is what you have done wrong. You have a pulley that screws onto the diff. That pulley is two pieces. One piece has a lip on one side and all the teeth. The other piece is just a flat ring which becomes the lip on the other side of the pulley. Remove that flat ring. You don't need it. The belt can't slip off the pulley as the diff housing will hold it on. When you remove that ring you are now making the entire assembly a little bit narrower and I bet it will fit right in.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:33 AM   #1038
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed6 View Post
Hi guys, just bought the Evo 2 WC Edition and thanks to all your tips it looks bullet proof. All i need is some ideas for diff setup from where to start. Basically i will be running on a tight track, bumby, low traction. Cars tend to understeer a lot in this track.

I thought of going for a front and a rear diff setup.

Weight i thought to use 70K front - 30K rear as i think 50K in the rear is to much for this track.
If the front diff doesnt help here are some more tips. As the guys said, 30k is too thick for low traction, we run 40k in high traction, so 10-20 would be about right

For bumpy tracks you'll want to run a bit of rebound in your shocks, about 50% with 350-400wt oil. If you are running kit RC's try running a-up in the front and run narrower tracks front and rear to help the car roll over. Then you need to consider where in the corner your car is understeering and consider changing caster/ackerman from there

I run the kit setup with a spool on a tight/slippery track and I've got heaps of steering, actually it can be a bit loose but that's the fast way
Old 04-28-2009, 06:16 AM   #1039
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Spool vs front diff

So I'm new to this front diff idea, I've always either run a spool or one-way. What are the pro and cons of the front diff? From what I have been reading, a front diff would be good for low traction tracks. What about fast, mostly flowing tracks? Also, what will it do concerning tire wear front to rear? I tried a front diff (100K) last Sunday and unfortunately I had other issues so I didn't have time to switch between the diff and spool. Since it was the first time with a diff and first run of the year I can't make any judgments.

Dirt Burners Racing - R.I.P. BB / Kolors by Kropy / CEFX / One Eighth Racers
mcsquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:19 AM   #1040
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsquish View Post
So I'm new to this front diff idea, I've always either run a spool or one-way. What are the pro and cons of the front diff? From what I have been reading, a front diff would be good for low traction tracks. What about fast, mostly flowing tracks? Also, what will it do concerning tire wear front to rear? I tried a front diff (100K) last Sunday and unfortunately I had other issues so I didn't have time to switch between the diff and spool. Since it was the first time with a diff and first run of the year I can't make any judgments.
I'd stick to the spool on a flowing track. You'll get more forward bite out of it which will be better on exit from long corners. That said, 100k will feel very spool like. Compared with a spool, front tire wear should be a bit lower with a front diff, rear about the same. You'll get more turn-in with a diff, but less stable braking. On power, the outside front will be driven less compared with a spool so your on-power steering wont be the best and ultimately you'll lose a bit of efficiency

To me, it seems like a lot of people are using the front diff as a quick and dirty fix for deeper setup problems. I know lots of the pros used them at the last worlds but that track was not your average circuit for grip, layout & surface. I know heaps of xray drivers are going faster with them but the RRR has a lot more steering than the NT1 (check all the spool NT1 setups - front tires are always a shore or two softer than rear) so a diff would be one of the last things I try in a kyosho
Old 04-29-2009, 10:15 AM   #1041
Tech Elite

Quote:
I will give you my opinion which differs from Craig's. I have a lot time with a spool and now a diff. The diff gives me more on-power steering than the spool did and I have not noticed less stability under braking. On a tight technical track the diff has an advantage. Before I tested a diff I would have agreed with Craig regarding the flowing track, but I am faster on every track so far running a diff. Maybe with more setup work I could get the spool to go even better, but so far the diff is the winner in this contest. The stopwatch doesn't lie.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #1042
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the replies, I want to hear thoughts and theories. Since I can't race again for hopefully just a couple weeks I am having time to think of changes, it may be longer since I'm getting 'hitched' the 23rd.....

Old 04-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #1043
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
I will give you my opinion which differs from Craig's. I have a lot time with a spool and now a diff. The diff gives me more on-power steering than the spool did and I have not noticed less stability under braking. On a tight technical track the diff has an advantage. Before I tested a diff I would have agreed with Craig regarding the flowing track, but I am faster on every track so far running a diff. Maybe with more setup work I could get the spool to go even better, but so far the diff is the winner in this contest. The stopwatch doesn't lie.
Scott, what diff oil you running? And, do you use the diff on high bite tracks where you're have to use tire shore of 42 or 45's?
blount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #1044
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
Interesting, maybe it's time to try one again. Did you change your ackerman when you switched to the diff?
Old 04-29-2009, 04:33 PM   #1045
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by blount View Post
Scott, what diff oil you running? And, do you use the diff on high bite tracks where you're have to use tire shore of 42 or 45's?
I have been running 100k in the front (so it is somewhat spoolish) I normally run 20k or 30k in the rear. I go higher when the traction is higher. Lately the tracks I have been running on haven't been super high bite. The Motonica GP is the first race in quite a while that I ran 42 shore fronts and my car was very very good. The only track that anticipate running 42's or 45's is in Toledo. I always have a few of the ultra-light Ybslow spools with me in case my car gets unpredictable.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #1046
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Interesting, maybe it's time to try one again. Did you change your ackerman when you switched to the diff?
I normally leave the 11 in my car. Because of fitment issues I removed the M3 ackerman system and went back to the older style.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #1047
Tech Master

Default KM Racing

anybody knows where can i order KM Racing product here in the US

thanks
dg8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #1048
Tech Fanatic

Scott are you running all four bevel gears, or just two? Also, what fitment issues are you having if you use the 12? Granted my diff was introduced to Mr. Dremel....

dg8one, I couldn't find anyone in the states that sells KM. I had to search a little to find an on-line store that I might trust. But I am new to ordering from over-seas.

Last edited by mcsquish; 04-29-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #1049
Tech Elite

Quote:
Scott are you running all four bevel gears, or just two? Also, what fitment issues are you having if you use the 12? Granted my diff was introduced to Mr. Dremel....

dg8one, I couldn't find anyone in the states that sells KM. I had to search a little to find an on-line store that I might trust. But I am new to ordering from over-seas.

I run all 4 bevel gears. The older ackerman plates are a bit smaller than the newer one which comes with the Evo2. The newer one (it is the one off the M3) is easier to makes changes but it is a bit larger and can hit a diff.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:33 AM   #1050
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg8one View Post
anybody knows where can i order KM Racing product here in the US

thanks
You can buy direct from the KM online shop. Their postage is cheap and fast-ish