Originally Posted by mhavlena
Who can help me out!!!
I've been busting 2nd spur gears like crazy...what's the secret to meshing?
Instructions stipulate to use paper between the gears for correct meshing, but it seems that you have to have the pinion and spur as tight as possible to ensure that they don't strip.
It is weird, as one ensures that the meshing is extremely tight, they bind, which could cause many other problems.
Does anyone have any experience with this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mike Here is everything I checked:
-replaced the plastic chassis brace (I replaced it with an aluminum one)
-make sure you aren't using too long of a screw in the rear chassis brace. You will think it's tight, but it may be hitting the bearing.
-make sure the motor is not moving. Again using too long of a screw will cause issues.
-replace the clutch bearings. It may be a bad bearing causing the clutch bell to move away from the spur.
-make sure there isn't too much slop in the 2-speed. It may be shifting so hard that it is causing the issue.
-I had issues with using the Kyosho TI 2-speed shaft (others have not) with it flexing. I now run the YBSlow, it is made from good quality Titanium.
-replace the rear bulkheads, the bearings that the 2-speed shaft over time can open up the plastic and have a little movement.
-I set my mesh tighter than I used to. I set it with just the 2nd gear on and just loose enough it isn't grinding (the gears will wear in) then check it again with both spurs installed. If the mesh is too tight on 1st gear i will leave one engine screw just loose enough I can pivot the engine and loosen the mesh. I also usually will remove the pipe so I'm not fighting that.
It ended up being that I needed to replace the rear bulkheads. The first time I replaced them I didn't have any new ones and got a set of "lightly" used ones from a friend (big mistake
). The 2-speed shaft bearings had opened the holes just a tiny bit to allow movement.
I hope this helps. Let me know if you need other ideas, I know this was a very frustrating problem.