Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grp 63mm on mrx4x.Clearence issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Grp 63mm on mrx4x.Clearence issues.

I mounted a set of grp ajpj tires on my mrx today.The rear tire has about a 1mm gap between it and the rear body post mount sitting at ride height.If I try to compress the suspension it immediately touches the post.My set of msr tires that came with the kit have about 4mm of clearence.Right now I am running one spacer behind the inner and outer bearing.The car was handling great on saturday at 301 so I don't want to drastically change the way the car handles.I do like the aluminum sticker idea to hold the tire together as Saturday I got nervice and hit the brakes turn the wheel then hit the gas and turned it the other way and the car started flipping end over end and the rear tire had a huge chunk out of it.I think as the car was getting ready to traction roll the rear tire chunked because I seen the chunk of tire fly in the air right as it began rolling.Thanks

Old 07-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yep, the offset is just a bit different on the GRP's. There are three options. Move the inside spacer in the rear upright to the outside. This will give the car a bit more steering too. 2nd Move the body post uprights to the inside hole. Again slightly more steering but you might not even notice the difference. 3rd option is to trim the inside edge of the tires just a bit.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Tech Regular

When you say more steering.Do you mean the rear will slide/rotate easier or the front will have more grip?
Old 07-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Lord

Both, but both changes I mentioned are slight and very subtle changes. You might not even notice them. If you do and don't like it a slight increase on the front sway bar will have you back where you were.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Tech Regular

So those changes will result in increased steering capability but if I turn the sway bar alittle it will tame it back down?Do you mean turn the sway bar so that the flat part is top to bottom or front to back?Thanks
Old 07-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When the sway bar is flat, (horizontal), like this "_", it's doing nothing. When you put it at full vertical, like this "|", it's at the stiffest position.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sorry I'm a little late to this party.

I'm going to assume this is a X car? You have two choices on increasing the clearance on the X kit. You can run the rear body mount in the inner hole (not the way I would do it) or you can place the two MUG H0189 spacers in back of the outer bearing in the hub and the problem will go away. The GRP AJ/PJ has a different off-set because the tire are 3.2mm wider that most tires available on the market today. If you look at the chart on the bottom of this post you will see apx a 1.6mm difference in offset so moving the shim will result in a change in scrub of .6mm. Not a change that I suspect would affect handling

GRP AJ/PJ rims being wider will also affect track width issues. If you measuring the track width on the outside of the rim you need to remember that the GRP AJ/PJ is 63.5mm wide vs. most other rims at 60.2mm. That would mean a track width with most tires of 263mm would translate to 266mm with GRP PJ's (Assumes we are using track width to determine relative center lines of the drive wheels.)

Tire Type_____Kyo Red Box Rear___________GRP PJ Rear
Rim Width_____59.9mm___________________63.27mm
Rim Off-set____19.32mm__________________20.93mm
Old 07-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Tech Regular

I moved the body mount in and that solved the problem quick and easy.However the aluminum sticker idea seems to be just for show because after running a few laps the stickers were already torn up.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Tech Lord

Three things you can do to help avoid chunks.

1. Round off the edges real good.

2. Run a little thin CA glue around the outside bead.

3. Try not to hit the curbs. That sheet metal can tear them up.