Opinions on heat cycling during break-in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opinions on heat cycling during break-in

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

JPHRacer do you take the head off to check if the top of the sleave is polished to see if your break-in is finished or do you just look for an increase in performance? I think Im going to run in full tanks because most people seem to do that, Ill jut try to keep the run times around 5 minutes.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:26 PM
Tech Adept

Yes, you need to take off the head, and look at the polished band at TDC, once the band is compleatly polished around the top of the sleeve then you can start to rip it up. Thats how I tell, if the motor is broken in. Then I reset the head deck and check the plug for the fist few race runs, just to make sure that you have the cirrect heat range plug.

David Wert
DWR Motors
Old 07-20-2003, 10:43 PM
Tech Addict

So the general opinion is that I shouldnt heat cycle and just run in full tanks during break-in? Sorry to keep bringing this up but nobody except JPHRacer has really given me a straight answer. Ive been putting off breaking it in for quite some time now because Im really nervous about messing it up.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:57 AM
Tech Adept

Just as nike says; Just do it.

The sirio are awsome and can take a beating.

David Wert
DWR Motors
Old 07-25-2003, 10:46 PM
Tech Addict

I havent been able to start break-in due to rain (It hasnt rained the whole summer and it downpours with hail and lightning on the day I planned to break in my engine .) I picked up some after run oil at my lhs and decided to ask the guy what his opinion was. He said it would be a good idea to do 5 minute cycles on the first tank, but thinks you should keep the engine below 200F. I think Ill take his advice and run the first tank in 5 minute intervals with cooling in between, but I think I'll get it up to 200F right away, I think he might be more into the old skool break-in method. RCCA says to bring it up to 200F and I trust them so I think Ill do that. The guy also said to run it around 1/3 throttle because if you run it slower than that itll heat up the clutch. I'm running it in a ntc3 and since the drivetrains so friction free, I dont think the clutch will heat up much even if I go really slow, what do you guys think about this? The guy at my track says he runs in full tanks but that other people say to run in intervals, I think its just a diffrence of opinion.

As of now Im going to heat the engine up with a hair dryier to make it a little easier for my starter box to turn over and lube it with some after run oil. I'll run the first tank in 5 minute intervals with cooling in between and get it up to 200F right away. After that Ill increase speed every tank until around the 9th tank when Ill hit some WOT bursts and start leaning it little by little after that. If nessecary Ill start leaning earlier in the process. Does this sound ok?

What do you guys think about what the guy at my lhs said about staying under 200F, should I go against what he says or what numerous articles Ive read said?

Thanks for the help, sorry to keep bringing this up, cant wait to get the break-in started tomorrow. (well today I guess since its 1 am)

Last edited by AE Racer; 07-25-2003 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-26-2003, 03:03 PM
Tech Addict

I just ran the first tank, I did it in two 5 minute cycles. I ran it around at about 1/4 throttle and it was pretty fast already. I couldnt get the temps up to 200F though I leaned it out a considerable amount but the highest I could get it to was 182F, Do you guys think this is ok? I hope I didnt cause premature wear, I just dont think its gonna get any hotter running at the speeds Im running it at. Im pretty sure its running rich though because theres a light trail of smoke when Im running and there are droplets of oil on the pipe and oil bcking up into the pressure line.
Old 07-26-2003, 03:26 PM
Tech Addict

Just ran the second tank for six minutes at about 1/3 throttle, It ran a little above 190F for most of the 6 minutes and in the last 1 or 2 minutes it ran at 200-205F so I guess Ill be ok. Im gonna finish up the rest of the tank then start running in full tanks. This things got some serious power its flying at 1/3 throttle with a large trail of smoke.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:22 PM
Tech Addict

Just ran the 5th tank at about 1/2 throttle or a little above that, it ran 195-207F for most of the tank but at the end of the tank it went down to 180F because I had to let it idle for 30 seconds and I started running a little above half throttle to get it back up to 200F but the engine started leaning out because there wasnt much fuel left in the tank and went up to 220F. Is 220F to hot for break-in? it was only for like 15-20 seconds, I was on the 5th tank. Hopefully I didnt damage anything. Im breaking it in on the street and it so annoying because they slow down to like 5mph to pass me and Im going crazy because the engines getting too cool, I wish they just whiz by me at 30mph.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

MY opinion on breaking in is to run-in the first few tanks (3-5) nice & easy.... Then start running the engine as if you're racing it.

but as u will discover... there are many ways to do this, just pick a style that you like.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:11 PM
Tech Addict

Do you think its ok that it went up to 220F though? there was plenty of smoke coming out. I just hope I didnt damage the pisten and sleave, it was only for like 20 seconds though.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I wouldn't worry about it...
Temp will be a factor when you're tuning motors for race use... then u will be getting max fuel & max cooling by air flow & fuel..
Old 07-27-2003, 10:00 PM
Tech Addict

yea, I just dont want to run it too hot during break-in because I could be damaging it.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up break in

Rody at R/B Says to open the high speed needle at full throttle till the motor barely runs for 3/75cc. tanks to propperly mate the new parts, then start to set the high end on the track. I did my O/S tr this way and it flys.
If you want to keep up with the 5 port motors on the track you may have to run more temp. in the motor. Just run the motor where it likes to run, dont be too concerned with temp. mine runs 300 all day long. I have 1 full gallon through it I took it apart to look at it and everything is still very good.
I run 30% TRINITY platinum.

Last edited by Slotmachine; 07-27-2003 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:59 PM
Tech Regular

AE racer i just bought a brand new novarossi TT12S1 turbo engine and as i read the instuction it told me to do the samething the heat cycle well im doing it right now im only on my 3 1/2 tank break in so i dont know the result yet but ill let u know