Wiki Posts
Search

Best Way for cutting a body

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:11 AM
Tech Regular

Default Best Way for cutting a body

Hi,

I have a prepainted 1/8 body for my evolva 05.

I want to perfectly cut the body post holes+ engines head, airfilter, and the tank + the wheels round cut.

Any one can please help !
Old 03-13-2008, 07:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A nice sharp reamer, lexan cutting scissors and alot of patience!

Since the body is already painted you need to be extra careful when cutting the holes for the body posts. I recommend setting the body on the car and using a flashlight from underneath the car to shine some light through the paint so you can see the posts. Next get a small piece of tape and put it where you see the post on the top side of the body. This way you dont mark your painted body and you know where to make the hole for the post. Ive used those dry erase markers and they work well also. Marks rub right off the body once you're done.

For the engine head, airfilter, and the tank you want to use lexan cutting scissors, use a reamer to make the initial start hole and cut out from there using the body scissors. Always go slow and check the hole for fit. You dont want to cut too much at once. Its better to cut out small pieces and check your size as you go along to avoid over cutting and making a large ugly hole.

For the tires, alot of guys use xacto knives but Ive never been good with that method so I usually use scissors and carefully cut out the initial tire shape and test for fit. Then I go back and trim off where ever the tires rub to the body. Again always a little bit at a time to avoid over cutting.

Alot of patience and take your time is the best advice I can give. If you do this you should be satisfied with the results.

Good Luck!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The Flashlight under the body tip for marking the posts is great. I never thought about that.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

i am too cheap for the lexan scissors plus they never cut straight lines for me so i use what i have laying around a razor blade and when i am done i use my dremel with a sanding drum to round everything off
Old 03-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Order yourself the same body in clear. Cut it out and use it to mark your new body. I keep a templete of different bodies in my bag to make cutting bodies easy. After you wreck a body cut out the center section and reuse it to mark new bodies.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JASON MAC
Order yourself the same body in clear. Cut it out and use it to mark your new body. I keep a templete of different bodies in my bag to make cutting bodies easy. After you wreck a body cut out the center section and reuse it to mark new bodies.
Man that's a great way to be consistant.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Tech Lord

Remove the motor and rollbar

In the body there are marks for the bodyposts, start with the rear posts. Meassure the the distance of the posts on the chassis, draw a line over the marks on the body, make new marks and make the holes.

Mount the body and mark the front body posts and make the holes.

Remove the head of the motor but leave the burnroom with plug and mount the motor in the chassis with the body over it.
Push on the body at the motor and the tip of the plug will mark the center of the hole which you can use to draw the hole.

Place half size wheels and draw arround the wheels the cutting line

The airfilter and rollbar holes can be drawed from an old body where you know it is ok or have to leave some material.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

get yourself an OLFA circle cutter from your local fabric store. Cuts perfect circles everytime.

Heres what you want. you can get it online for $9.00 bucks
http://olfablades.stores.yahoo.net/9911.html
Old 03-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Tech Adept

It's all personal preferance but body reamer for posts etc. is a must I also use a circle cutter for wheel arch's etc. fantastic tool - it only scores though and you basically tear the remainder (test it first) I also prefer a blade for scoreing windoes etc before cutting them out - much better job than scissors just make sure you have a sharp blade and it will blunt quite quickly.
Curved scissors are good at the track though where yoy have a wheel rubbing etc.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Tech Regular

How i mark my painted bodies is i get some double sided white tape and lay it in the inside area where the post are going through then with a permanent black marker mark the top of the post, then take the protection off of the tape and carefully position body over your chassis checking it in all directions, lower the body til the post hits the exsposed tape, the marker will come off the top of the post and mark exactly where to cut your holes for the post, all this is done with the engine, roll bar, removed. just another method