Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
What are some good ways to remove this damn stripped hex screw !! >

What are some good ways to remove this damn stripped hex screw !!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are some good ways to remove this damn stripped hex screw !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default What are some good ways to remove this damn stripped hex screw !!

What are some good ways to remove this damn stripped hex screw !! I've tried to drill a hole in the middle and use one of those EZ out.. but it failed ! i don't have a dremel so thats out.. hmm... what other ways are there to get this damn stripped hex screw out.. !!

Old 03-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Tech Master

There are 2 ways. One is to twist or turn the engine back and forth while holding a phillips screwdriver against the hex screw. Many times this will loosten the screw. The other way is to use a larger diameter drill bit and drill out the head until the head simply falls off. Then you remove the engine and grab the stump of the screw with plyers and loosten.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I know you don't have one but you need a dremel. The best way is with a dremel with a thin cutting disk. You need to cut a slot across the screw and then use a flat tip screwdriver to remove. the only other way is to remove all of the other screws and hopefully you can rotate the engine mount to loosen the tension on the screw thats stripped. Also try and hit the screw with a little heat. Make sure your allen driver is not worn. A worn allen driver will tend to strip screw heads. once you get it out remember to coat your engine screws with a little never seize that will prevent this from happen in the future. hope this helps
Old 03-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Sears has a screw extractor set that has a drill bit on one end and an extractor on the other. Just put it in your drill reverse the drill and it comes out. Part # 52155 comes with 4 sizes. And it won't damage your chassis like a dremel will.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the screw extractors didn't work.. anyway if i drill it out... will i destroy/strip the things in the hex screw socket?
Old 03-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Tech Addict

Another way that works is to make a small cut on one part of the screw with whatever you have in your house. Then take a flathead screw driver, put it against the little slit you made, and hit it with a hammer at an angle to loosen it. I dont recomened this because i have damanged one of my motors doing this before, but it has only happened once. Could have been a defective motor.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

To remove the screw......first remove the engine from the car....it will leave 1 part of the engine mount on the chassis....if it is a 1 peice engine mount, thats fine.... Second, twist the engine mount back and forth...this may work for you, may not, but if it is seized up, the little twisting might be enough to break it free.....

If that doesn't work, and you have a drill....use a 3mm sized drill bit...it could be just a bit larger and drill the head off... that will leave you with a small threaded stub sticking out of the engine mount which you should be able to remove with a pair of pliers.

Or, you could use a small file to wear a grove in the top of the head to use a flat tip screw driver.

If all else fails, ask a neigbor if they have a dremel.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bosley
What are some good ways to remove this damn stripped hex screw !! I've tried to drill a hole in the middle and use one of those EZ out.. but it failed ! i don't have a dremel so thats out.. hmm... what other ways are there to get this damn stripped hex screw out.. !!

i get my off with a pair of wire cutters
i just grap the middle and outer edge of the screw and give it currie
it usly is enough to loosin it
have you used locktite on it?
last resort if you havent used locktite drill it out be careful not to drill to much of the thread off
i use small 3mm to start and finish of with a 4 or 5 mm drill and just take the top off the screw leaving about 2 to 3 mm (thickness of the chassie) to grab on to and then grab the remaining thread with some plires the heat from the drill is enough to loosin the screw .
all the best
Old 03-16-2008, 01:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

almost forgot....NEVER USE STAINLESS STEEL SCREWS.....(or aluminum) on parts that of different types of metals.....if they get hot and cold when wet, they could do somthing that is called "cold weld" themselves together and that might be what happened to your 1/8 scale buggy.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lil-bump
I know you don't have one but you need a dremel. The best way is with a dremel with a thin cutting disk. You need to cut a slot across the screw and then use a flat tip screwdriver to remove. the only other way is to remove all of the other screws and hopefully you can rotate the engine mount to loosen the tension on the screw thats stripped. Also try and hit the screw with a little heat. Make sure your allen driver is not worn. A worn allen driver will tend to strip screw heads. once you get it out remember to coat your engine screws with a little never seize that will prevent this from happen in the future. hope this helps

i thought you were supposed to loctite everything on a nitro car?
Old 03-16-2008, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOW ET
i thought you were supposed to loctite everything on a nitro car?

That may apply in offroad but not in onroad. I use a dab of never seize only on my engine mounts which are alluminum and the screws are steel this prevents
what you see in the picture. My engine mount screws would seize after one day of racing. Just make sure you tighten the Sh?t out them. But I never had one come loose
Old 03-16-2008, 06:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Dremel

I have removed alot of them by using the dremel with a small thin wheel to cut a groove and then use a screwdriver. If that don't work maybe a blowtorch! lol
Old 03-16-2008, 07:20 AM
Tech Master

Get a drill bit that is the same diameter as the width of the head of the screw and drill the entire top of the screw off....then the shaft of the bolt that is still in the engine mount can be latched on to with a set of vise grips and removed...........
Old 03-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Tech Addict

put a cutting wheel on a dremal tool and cut a slot in the screw then use a regular screw diver to twist it out
Old 03-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I second the dremel cut/flathead method. I keep a cordless dremel with my track stuff -- it's saved my arse many times.
Be sure to bear down on the newly cut slot with your flathead when removing --

Good luck,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.