R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-06-2003, 09:05 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
Send a message via AIM to Lythion
Default Pipe problem, maybe?

I have an O.S. TR .12 and I got an RD Logics pipe (standard) to go with it. The motor is difficult to tune and runs very hot. Anyone here have the same combination and similar problems? How about the Associated pipe?
Lythion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 09:45 PM   #2
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Weird, I didn't have any problems on mine. Make sure the gasket for the crankcase and manifold doesn't have a tear in it. Could be an air leak too.
Pro Spec America/Apex RC - Team ORCA - Awesomatix USA - Roche RC USA - AVID - Sweep - Protoform - Pro-One RC - Slapmaster Tools - Hebiki Design Works - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers - Timezone Hobbies
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 09:53 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

I had the same problem, except with an MR 12 and an RD 2 piece turbo pipe. All I could suggest is to richen the bottom end (try 3 turns then lean out by 1/12 turn till it runs fine), try a different plug (colder), or cut the manifold by 1/4 of an inch untill your engine can be easy to tune. As for my motor, it is spare parts now, it overheated and completely lost its compression. I wished I could have done earlier what i've suggested to you. I also suggest you take apart your engine and check your compression and no play on the conrod. If you use 30% nitro and up, try adding a shim on the top of the head button.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 10:36 PM   #4
Tech Initiate
Send a message via AIM to Lythion

This is the 1 piece pipe so I cannot cut it. I thought about an air leak and believe that I have checked all the areas it coud be. Maybe I missed one. I checked the exhaust including fuel pressure and the carb. I did make a change in that I moved the O ring that was down by the crank port up around the neck of the carb. The O ring did not seem to be sealing against anything.

I hope that I did not get a bad pipe. Is there anyway to tell?

Oh, and I'm using an O.S. A3 plug.
Lythion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 11:01 PM   #5
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Send a message via MSN to tkhoo

Try to retune the engine. 6 turn out from fully close at high and 4 turn out for low. Start from there. Tune the high first until u can feel it run very good and make sure check the temp every time you lean the high. once finish high go to low, same check the temp. And last go for ideling. Hope can help you.
tkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote