Advice needed on Sirio break-in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice needed on Sirio break-in

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 12:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

I would say break in according to the instructions in RCCA. The reason for running the car slow for the first few tanks is the engines are shipped dry, and you need to get the engine lubricated before you start running up to temp. Another method is to run the car on a stand at idle for about 3 to 4 minutes. Due this four times.(about 2 tanks) Then run 4 more tanks at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Then you can start to lean it out. I have used this method, and my engine still makes good power, and it will be 2 years old next month. Also it is a good idea to put about 4 or 5 drops of after run oil in the engine a few minutes before break in.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:01 PM
Tech Addict

RCCA reccomends running it slowly on the first tank and getting it up to 200F right away, which most people seem to do, but I havent heard of anyone doing the heat cycling reccomended in rcca, which is running only two to three minutes at a time and allowing the engine to cool between the two to three minute intervals. My main question is whether I should do the heat cycling or not, Im pretty set on running on the first tank and getting it right up to 200F because that seems to be the most common method.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:32 PM
Tech Addict

So nobody has an opinion on if I should heat cycle the engine or not?