R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-01-2003, 07:42 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
Arrow New to the Board

First, let me say me and my son have been Racing off-road for about 5years now. And I've learned thru grin and bearing. The process of how to tune these lil carbs on these nitro engines.

I know this is allot to ask for my first time posting on this Board.

Here goes.

I am searching for 2 engines for on-road cars. One is a Serpent Impact which I am planning a .21 for it. And the other is a NTC3 that I'm planning a .12 for. These engines DO NOT have to be Roar Legal. In fact, I would like for them to be the biggest Outlaw engines possible. I am only planning to run in the local parking lots. Where we blow and sweep off a section and have at it. We are mostly Drag Racing and making Top Speed Runs on the radar guns.

I have done a good bit of research on which engines would make for me the fastest possible to choose. My selections are the following: RB Rody Mod, RB Collari Mod, RB Rody Tuned, JP Kangaroo and the Mario Rossi Mod Kangaroo. Several people who have been in the Hobby for a number of years have also told me. That I should get a RB C5 and have a good Tuner modify it for me.

First question, which of the listed engines would you recommend for my intended use? And, would I be better off buying a stock engine and have a Tuner modify it for my specific needs. Would the modified engine from a Tuner make for me a faster engine than the ones listed?

Reading the Manufacturers specs on the previously mentioned engines the RX21 Nova Rossi's have a 16.80mm stroke with a 16.26 bore. The C5 RB's have a 16.80mm stroke with a 16.22mm bore. Very similar. And then I also see where the RB 1003-S7C Circuit engine, which is half the price of it's bigger brothers the C5's. Has a 16.42mm stroke and a 16.42mm bore. I've built and helped build a few Hot Rods growing up. And what I've learned was a shorter stroke engine with a bigger bore would make more HP than an engine with the opposite characteristics. And will safely turn higher RPM's also. My question is this. If I were to buy a stock engine and have a Tuner modify it. Wouldn't the S7C make for me the better choice over a Nova Rossi RX21 or a RB C5?

I also would like to know which of the above stated engines would you recommend in a .12 for my NTC3? The advice you give to me for the .21. Will it also stand for a .12?

Thank you,
muddywaters is offline   Reply With Quote