Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Help Please. Is this normal. Noob question >

Help Please. Is this normal. Noob question

Help Please. Is this normal. Noob question

Old 02-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Help Please. Is this normal. Noob question

Hello. Is this oil at the bottom of the heatsink head normal after running it.
I could see it slowly building up at the bottom layers as I ran it. Also there was oil around the glow plug. It is a new engine and Im a noob. The pictures arent the best but I was really concerned with the black liquid coming out of the bottom of the head. Also it ran out of the exaust when I picked it up. I love this thing and want it to perfect. Thanks
It is a HPI 18ss

Old 02-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

so I take it your engine is new if so then oil coming from the exhaust is normal especially at idle and when you tip it over there should be a bit run out of your exhaust as for oil around the head and around the glow plug sounds strange, make sure all you screws are up tight around your cooling head and that your glow plug is tight and has a shim(if non turbo head) also check your seal on you attachment from manifold to engine and also pipe to manifold, there should be no leaks! no check your seal on your carbie alot of oil can piss out from here, do it up nice and firm but not over tight!you should be all good if these are checked and are ok, if problems persists replace cooling head,carbie,manifold to engine seals.
hope this helps
Old 02-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey FavreRunner, aussies1129 gave you some great advice. I owned an 18ss and that never happened to mine so its not normal. It almost seems like the heat sink is loose. The oil around the glow plug is normal if you did not tighten the plug. Its strange that HPI would miss something like that but these things happen. They have a great customer service department so give them a call and Im sure they will help. Here is their number 1-888-349-4474.

The oil from the exhaust is normal. The 18ss usually comes rich and you should lean out the top end a bit. Not alot, maybe 1/2 of a turn thats all. My 18ss ran great and I had alot of fun with it. I would not run the car until you check the screws on the heat sink and give HPI a call. Im sure the engine is fine so dont worry, just a small leak that can be taken care of easily. Good luck!