Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stickers on foams - any point?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 08:57 AM
Tech Adept

Default Stickers on foams - any point?

I have noticed that some people run the stickers that come with their foams. The foams that come from GRP (Elligi, Powertyres, etc.) all come with these stickers. I assume that the stickers are designed to minimize chunking. Is this true? Do they actually make any difference?
If they are not for preventing chunking, are they just for aesthetics?
Old 06-30-2003, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

they do prevent chunking to some degree. but can become a pain in the arse when you want to run a smaller diameter tire than the sticker is.... imho more trouble than they are worth
Old 06-30-2003, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree, I've found that my tires chunk less when I use these stickers. They don't help a whole lot but they do help. I heard somewhere that you can use CA glue to coat the tire wall to acheive the same affect. This is a lot better when you want to run your tires to the rim. The only down side is making sure you don't get any glue on the tire's contact surface.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Would you believe it's for marketing more so than anything else. All foam tires pretty much look alike so the distributor gives you these stickers with their name on it. Why do you think Goodyear and the other 1:1 tire companies use nice big white letters on their tires? So spectators can see what rubber the cars are using.

CA does work to keep a small tear from chunking but won't prevent a major chunk when the wall gets hit at the right angle.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Tech Addict

CA on the side of sedan foams is not to prevent chunking although some people think that's what it is for. It is more for handling and to control the tire sidewall roll than anything else.
Old 07-04-2003, 02:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally posted by fraz
CA on the side of sedan foams is not to prevent chunking although some people think that's what it is for. It is more for handling and to control the tire sidewall roll than anything else.
Thats right Fraz. Hey, good racing this passed sunday at Tom's race.

I use the stickers to cut out my holes on my windshield for air vents.