Wiki Posts
Search

Wheel offset

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Wheel offset

WHat does zero and 2 degree offset mean when purchasing wheels?
Old 02-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Some cars are designed to use a 1,2 degree offset. What this does it changes the center point of the tire when looking at the width of the tire.
If you mount a 0 degree offset tire onto a car designed to use a 1 degee offset wheel,the wheel may rub on the inside near the rear upright. This also changes your track width when you use different offset wheels. Hope this helps. There is a graphic online somewhere that explains this much better than I did.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hmmm... Is it this graphic?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...3&d=1144925672
Old 02-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

And after the fitments issue is resolved its all about mechanical advantage on the contact patch...stupid traction circle.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Can anybody explain the different between 0 and 2mm offset when the offset is in the wheel and when it's in the hex? the overall geometry is the same on the car, the only difference that I can think of is that over the long 30mm worth of wheel, the 2mm offset would be stronger and create the feeling of a stiffer wheel.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Bingo!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Brian Bosley
Can anybody explain the different between 0 and 2mm offset when the offset is in the wheel and when it's in the hex? the overall geometry is the same on the car, the only difference that I can think of is that over the long 30mm worth of wheel, the 2mm offset would be stronger and create the feeling of a stiffer wheel.

Not sure what you are asking. but the offset is the position of the hex in relationship to the center of the tire just like the picture. I believe an offset wheel only purpose is to allow full suspension movement when cornering without the worry of the tire rubbing on any suspension parts. Just remember if you change to an offset wheel your track width will change also. Some cars where just designed to use an offset wheel (ie Mugen MTX-3)
Old 02-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Tech Master

Track widths are also be changed buy using different offset rims
Which also changes roll centers
this can also be used as a tuning aid
Old 02-08-2008, 02:14 AM
Tech Lord

More offset with a same total trackwidth on the front will give more on power steer
Old 02-08-2008, 04:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
More offset with a same total trackwidth on the front will give more on power steer
Is that true if the offset is in the hex, or if it's in the suspension though. shortening the pivot balls will change your roll center which could give you that feeling.

I've had a kyosho team driver tell me that offset in the wheel or the hex feels different, but I can't seem to work out the geometry other than the wheel is just stiffer because of how wide it is.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:31 AM
Tech Lord

The offset on the frontwheels will give a more changing wheelbase in the corners, the outside wheels will get a longer wheelbase and the inner wheel a shorter.

Offset is always made on the axle with shims, thicker hexmounts or other wheels
Old 02-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Brian Bosley
Is that true if the offset is in the hex, or if it's in the suspension though. shortening the pivot balls will change your roll center which could give you that feeling.

I've had a kyosho team driver tell me that offset in the wheel or the hex feels different, but I can't seem to work out the geometry other than the wheel is just stiffer because of how wide it is.
On a RRR, it is really a number of factors. If you use zero offset rear wheels (only the rears have an offset), you need to turn out the piviot ball screws to make 200mm, which means you're moving out the entire hub assembly on each side by 2mm. But regardless of if you use zero offset or +2mm offset wheels, the wheels are still in the same position relative to the centerline of the car if the track width is 200mm.

Something also to think about is contact patch and camber relatvie to a zero offset and +2mm offset wheel. Which one has a greater contact patch when cornering relative to camber setting?

I wish someone could get the info straight from the guy that designed the RRR. I think a lot of people have some good educated guesses as to why the car was designed this way, but it would be good to hear it from the source.

Last edited by rmdhawaii; 02-08-2008 at 06:20 PM.