Wiki Posts
Search

Truer battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Truer battery

Since I mostly race at tracks without AC power, I was looking for a battery to power my tire truer and charge receiver packs for the day.

I looked at the sealed lead acid cells, there is an 18amp 14lb battery but I have no idea how this really compares to raw truing power or how many tires I could cut.

I looked at car type batteries but they're usually 30-40lb, could they be charged by the Pb feature on the Avionics charger or do you need a car type charger?
Old 02-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I normaly use the car battery (with the engine running) while I'm truing tires. I just keep an extra 12v lead acid battery in the back of my truck which will cover all of my charging need for at least 2 months.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Tech Regular

the 18amp hour battery should keep you truing tires for the day how many sets of tires are you planning on truing in a day I get well over 10 pairs on a 7 amp hour battery with no noticable decline in power.

I run a 18amp hour batt in my toolbox to power a 15watt amp as well as my chargers and my tire truer and my MP3 player and so far I've never had the batt die on me even after being at the track for the entire 12 hour day. again I usually don't true more then 8 pairs of tires in the course of day but with everything else running off the battery I had no issues.

just one word of caution if your chargeing your batts don't try to take off more then 2mm at a time or you could end up starving your chargers of the current they need.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:23 AM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i use an 'jump start' battery for the tire truer and as a backup to my starter box. i haven't stressed it to find out but it seems more than enough. mine is by coleman but looks like this without the extra black plastic padding:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270210248834
Old 02-08-2008, 04:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by avs
i use an 'jump start' battery for the tire truer and as a backup to my starter box. i haven't stressed it to find out but it seems more than enough. mine is by coleman but looks like this without the extra black plastic padding:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270210248834
Great tip on the jump start style, there's quite a few options out there and most of them seem to include a built in wall charger all for 40-70 bucks. glad to see I'm not the only person thinking about this cause the front of my truck gets pretty nasty.

19amp hours, sealed with a charger for $75, I'll keep looking but that looks like it if you guys are getting 10 pairs out of 7amps. I usually true somewhere around 20 pairs cause I'm the primary guy with a truer.
http://www.nextag.com/Vector-Network...00/prices-html
Old 02-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

not a bad deal. especially if you have the room in your toolbox to carry it.

I went with the 18AH SLA Batt and a 12v float charger I got from harbor freight for around 15$ (basicly just a trickle charger that won't over charge the battery like the regular wall wart style) put it in the bottom of my toolbox (secured in it's own box) and connected it to an extra ofna power panel I had from an old starter box so I could keep tabs on the batterys charge level as well as plug in my charger into the built in banana jacks.

regardles of how you go 20 pairs of tires should be no problem with an 18AH battery and still have plenty of power for charging rec & Tx batts.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

I bought a Duralast 75/12/2 smart charger, I'm not really sure what the rating on the battery is but I just cut 26 pairs of tires back to back using the charge from the box and the battery claimed to be over 50% charged still.

Should be good for the race day for $65
Old 02-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Couple LiPos work great and fit in the rubber tray.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I have a 12v SLA battery, but thinking I may invest in a nice car battery being it provides far more amps to really take off xtra foams if you are in a hurry.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Look at what I found for charging.

http://batterytender.com/product_inf...products_id=54

Charges 2 batteries at once. Looks cool too!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Tech Regular

hey RapidRoy this is the version I currently use for all my 12v charging needs

Battery tender Jr.

gets the job done and won't break the bank. charges my car battery from nearly dead to full over night (12 hrs =/-) 7ah SLA in around 8 hours from nearly dead.

Hark you may want to look into motercyle/golf cart batterys pretty much the same power but a lot less weight. If I see you at Flloyd I'll show you my setup. can't miss me just listen for the music coming out of my pit box.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by regg151
hey RapidRoy this is the version I currently use for all my 12v charging needs

Battery tender Jr.

gets the job done and won't break the bank. charges my car battery from nearly dead to full over night (12 hrs =/-) 7ah SLA in around 8 hours from nearly dead.

Hark you may want to look into motercyle/golf cart batterys pretty much the same power but a lot less weight. If I see you at Flloyd I'll show you my setup. can't miss me just listen for the music coming out of my pit box.
I was just looking at that exact charger. I just found it today on Ebay for $25 shipped NIB. I just killed my starter box battery with my 1:1 car charger. 2 amps was just too much. I bought a new gel cell and want to keep it ready to go.