Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Reducing Tire Wear >

Reducing Tire Wear

Reducing Tire Wear

Old 02-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default Reducing Tire Wear

Other than going up on tire shore hardness and making gradual throttle responses... What other tips and tricks do you guys use to reduce your tire wear? Is using a harder rim on a tire will help to reduce tire wear? What are your experiences with different brands of tires and tire wear. I have been trying to get ahold of some Kyosho Red Box tires so I can test their tire wear with no luck. Now Im going to buy some Twister Tyres kyosho rim to see if this improves. What else do you guys recommend to reduce?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Tech Adept

if you're going through tires faster than everyone else.....change your driving style. I know easier said, than done.

Anything that will create undue friction on the tires, will wear the tires. The biggest ones I see is wheel spin and sliding the car around the corners.

Solutions:
wheel spin - smoother throttle response and adjust gearing

sliding - change your driving lines (take a look at a full scale racing guide for proper driving lines) and change your setup so that the car holds the line as opposed to sliding the rear to follow the front (think road race setup vs drift car)
Old 02-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry for the double post
Old 02-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

check your diff & what wt are you using
Old 02-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Go to a lighter weight oil, drop 10,000 example if you are using 30,000 go to 20,000
Old 02-06-2008, 02:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan
Go to a lighter weight oil, drop 10,000 example if you are using 30,000 go to 20,000
my theory differs to this. a lighter diff oil will allow a tire with the least grip to spin up easier and actually create more tire wear. a thicker oil allows both wheels to be driven more equally, if the rear end is loose then you back of the throttle, where as a lighter diff oil the grip will still be ther but the unloaded tire will be spining up, but you arent realising it. diff oil should be run as thick as possible while still maintaining a drivable car.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
my theory differs to this. a lighter diff oil will allow a tire with the least grip to spin up easier and actually create more tire wear. a thicker oil allows both wheels to be driven more equally, if the rear end is loose then you back of the throttle, where as a lighter diff oil the grip will still be ther but the unloaded tire will be spining up, but you arent realising it. diff oil should be run as thick as possible while still maintaining a drivable car.
Usually, excessive tire wear on one axle means that the balance of the car isn't right.

Try to take some grip of the axle (front or rear) which you think is having a tire wear problem.

If your car is eating tires all around, you are driving too much
Old 02-06-2008, 04:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

A track close to me resealed with sand in the mixture, you could barely get 45's to last 30 minutes straight out of the package on the left side of the car. Some tracks just wear tires.

Every time the car "drifts" you are losing about 0.1 seconds no matter what movies you've seen and it's bad on tire wear.

Your clutch and diff oil are extremely important to tire wear as well as brakes, the clutch should hit as hard as the traction will allow and the brakes should slow you down without locking up. Try to watch your wheels during acceleration and deceleration, see if they're spinning too much or too little.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for all the replies...

Im using 500wt in the shocks allaround, solid axle upfront and 10,000 on the rear.

Well what do you guys think? What causes more tire wear, having a loose end or a tight one? Because when you think of it having a loose end means the rear wheels will "drift" through turns if you can manage it. But if you have a tight end, the tires will grip so much it will create wear.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Riketsu
Thanks for all the replies...

Im using 500wt in the shocks allaround, solid axle upfront and 10,000 on the rear.

Well what do you guys think? What causes more tire wear, having a loose end or a tight one? Because when you think of it having a loose end means the rear wheels will "drift" through turns if you can manage it. But if you have a tight end, the tires will grip so much it will create wear.
10,000 is too light for me in the RRR at any time. 30,000 minimum even if traction is slim. more like 50,000 if traction is high.

Drifting creates more tire wear than grip and slower lap times, always unless you are considering the 3% optimal slip angle which you should be using.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Brian Bosley
10,000 is too light for me in the RRR at any time. 30,000 minimum even if traction is slim. more like 50,000 if traction is high.

Drifting creates more tire wear than grip and slower lap times, always unless you are considering the 3% optimal slip angle which you should be using.
Problem with the tracks over here, the traction is close to none. By going to 20k or 30k, I'll be sliding all over the track.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Champion

Is your problem rear tires wear faster than front ?

Lately I've been using different compound technique, eg. 37 front, 40 rear, with 3mm split. I've been using this setup for MTX4 and MTX3 ( with front one way ) with nice result. For NT1 ( with front & rear gear diff setup ) I use 37 front and 42 rear with 2mm split.

Light weight cars is another trick.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Problem with the tracks over here, the traction is close to none. By going to 20k or 30k, I'll be sliding all over the track.
try standing up your shocks when going to a thicker diff fluid & add more camber in the rear riketsu you are just laying down to much wheel spin in the rear on a low bite track 37F 40R 20,000 4.5 camber rear
or buy some grape soda for the track
Old 02-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Remeber traction is established thru chassis roll....if your lacking traction on one end of the car..then you should create more roll thru softer shock oils,springs or roll centers...you should be able to run 30000 with a soft chassis setup..also toe-in in the rear helps alot when it comes to you rear end being loose...I normally run my RRR with a stiffer rear then front to gain steering response...I would try running 500 oil 30000 diff stock springs try lowering roll center in the rear...also a lower rear roll center will help with tire wear..hope this helps

Robert Maestrey
Old 02-07-2008, 07:11 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by GMartinez

or buy some grape soda for the track
we also use on P.R. Ok cola it have moore sugar

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.