R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-12-2008, 07:58 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by going4#1 View Post
I'm still pretty new to Li-po. Could you explain what a balancer jack is? Is it simply a charging jack that is connected to both cells in a two cell pack in parallel? In other words, the plus wire is attached to both plus terminals of a two cell pack and the minus wire is attached to both minus wires of the two cells? This would be different in a typical NiMH pack where the minus wire is attached to the minus terminal of the last cell and the plus wire is attached to the plus terminal of the first cell and all the cells are linked in series.
There are usually 2 connectors supplied with Lipo batt, 1st is the normal red and black wire attached to either Dean, Traxxas type or Futaba J type connector. The other one has got 3 wires (2cell) 4 wires (3cells) and so on. This one is for charging the battery in balancer mode. Most Lipo chargers nowadays has got balancing mode on board however there are some which doesn't have it but you can always buy it separately and connect it to the charger. From what i understand (somebody correct me if i m wrong), if you charge it in balancer mode the charger will charge the cell one by one or separately charge the cell individually until its full, and it will take longer time compare to normal charge. I always charge mine in balancer mode. Its just my Premium Power Rx batt in my RRR doesn't have the balancer connector with it and I m assuming thats the reason it doesn't last that long compare to my other lipo batt.
dameetz is offline   Reply With Quote