Old 01-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #61
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

Sweet shot!
HarKonnenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #62
Tech Regular

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you guys think the big on-road nitro companies (Mugen, KYOSHO, Serpent, TM, XRay, even HPI) should open a track of their own around the country. 100% sponsored by them, and I'm not talking about sponsoring just a race, but the track itself. They are the ones who will ultimately benefit from it. I know Tamiya has a track of their own in Irvine, but they will only let Tamiya cars run for practice days. Lots of local tracks close down cuz it's difficult for the LHS to run and finance a track, but for the big companies....it should be a drop in the bucket, or at least not as financially taxing compared to LHS.
IDM Evo3
dnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:47 PM   #63
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I have to admit, that would be sick... But I don't see most of the companies doing that save for factory test drivers.. Like xray has a test track, but I belive its just for xray.. Similar to the now defunct tamiya track..
|Team Xray | RC America |MAX Engines | Hudy |Jaco | KO PROPO |"From Slovakia with Love" T3 | Team Timezone |

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #64
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution

you're forgettign one thing needed to make r/c racing huge.

hot women....build hot women and they will come...
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #65
Tech Addict

Hell yeah I'd race at the hot women track !!
I have seen Ralph Burch drive an RC car, It was an amazing thing to watch. So I joined his team and got the same car... XRAY and RC AMERICA
CFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:39 PM   #66
Tech Regular

The problem with on-road nitro racing is techology. (simply the cars go to -fast) Parking lot racing is great for electric cars, but for nitro's it's way
to small and bumpy for 2 speed transmissions,foam tires and speeds around
70 mph. The lack of permanent tracks is IMO the main reason on-road nitro
racing is losing experienced racers and not getting new ones. Off-road nitro
racers are building fantastic pro level race tracks in their backyards all over,
but that would'nt be practical for nitro on-roaders because of the amount of
space and the cost of premium asphalt. I wish I had an answer,but I think if
we had alot more permanet tracks we could attrack more racers.

ps. there is only one permanent track in my area AL-GA, that I know of and
its about to close.
topcat-lll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #67
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RayJ View Post
In the past few years, we've seen a steady drop off at our local club races here in the midwest. Many people are concerned with there job stability, and the high costs involved with racing and the expenses just getting to races. In Detroit we had a local club, and we held afew races at a Walmart parking lot. There was alot of interest generated by passersby on how to get into the sport. In fact after chatting with the Walmart manager.......... he kinda laughed when people went into the store and wanted to buy our cars. Other passerbys asked some of the racers on how much would it cost to get set-up for 200mm or 1/8th. With the replies of $1,000, $1,500......it stopped most people dead in their tracks...............with.... "whoa..........that's way outta my league." A potentially new racers interest generally died at that point.

Five years ago, when I first started with RC stuff. I stopped by at a local offroad track. I asked about how much to get a car and equipment, and I found I could get a car, battery, charger......radio gear for about $500.00. I was in at that point. The intitial sticker shock didn't turn me away from the sport. The key here is intitial sticker shock!! The lack of "initial sticker shock" is why most of the RC business is RTR kits, and always will be. After someone gets started with a RTR kit.............time will tell how much of a plunge they take into the sport. For me? I was in!! I wanted the latest and greatest of everything, and I spent the money.........and still do. Sometimes I thyink I'm just plain outta my mind!! The key here......is intitial start-up costs!!!!! I can't emphasize that enough. When I first entered the hobby I did not want to spend $1,000 to $1,500 to get started. No friggin' way!!

One of the things I have seen lately is the talk about the RTR spec classes with the Kyosho IGT, OFNA GTB and other buggy based cars. Not only are they very reasonable to get people into racing...........they also look very realistic(Ferrari, BMW, Porsche 911, aston martin.......etc etc etc) Now......when people see a race.............and they see these cars run..... they get a chance to "taste" our hobby without going broke. This class also reduces the intimidation factor of racing against experienced racers who are running circles around them in 200mm and 1/8th. If this this new class of buggy based cars is supported............and treated with the same respect as the 1/8th and 200mm's........the on-road scene..........has a chance to improve.

Limiting these cars to rubber tires........and keeping the class "spec" will intially help build more participants. If new potential racers can get involved with $500.00 vs thousands......more people will want to try it. The spec class will eliminate the need for:

Starter Boxes
High priced motors
Many many sets of foam tires
Tire truers
A limited # of replacements parts, since these buggys are pretty tough.
Not having to buy alls those things to get started will make the class more appealing.

Hopefully this new class will evolve new racers. Having a class with a much more reasonable "start-up" cost will bring more into on-road racing. After a racer gets started..... the "hobby bug" will determine......how far new racers will choose to take it. I know many of us would like to see new faces at the track. Hopefully the existing racers out there............will support it.

Well said, Ray.

Are you going to Winter Nats?
ira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:03 PM   #68
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Our Local club Races nitro 1 weekend and electric the other............

the electric Races at our local HobbyTown Lot....We have Resurfaced the Track every other year,Very thin coat's.......

electric has Really grown due to the fact that we hold an Tamiya National Race......Usually 100 plus entrie's....50 to 60 being MiniCooper's.....Seeing how you can get RACING for about 200.00dol's it is Easy for them to do....
The club Races Mini's Tamiya Spec.....

We Race Nitro At Another LHS Lot,also well taken Care of... Resurfaced every 2yr's....We use VHT to Spray with...ton's of Traction.......Problem is that when a Spectator want's to know how much......you Know what happen's.....

These new 1/8th scale's ( IGT,GTB)are bringing in some New Intrest Here!....
I feel that being able to Tell that NEW Racer that they can walk up in the Shop an buy one for 350.00dol's is GREAT........
We will be Racing them as a Spec.Class with minor mod's...ie Bodie's and tire's...

i think it is Looking Good in This Area for Nitro Racing!!
My club.....msra-racing.com
Factory Seal is offline   Reply With Quote