Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Vs Electric

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
with the new lipo batteries out there now you can run longer than 5 minutes , in florida we are racing 8 minutes ( and still faster lap times than nitro tc's) With my electric tc with my mod motors i fly by the 1/8th scales at my local track with ease check out this video the yellow car is a electric tc and yes he is running rubber tires

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0QZZP5Uiis

that video is from korea and he has another video breaking in an engine in his nitro car and he was passing the other cars just the same. So it seems like he is just a lot faster than the locals at that track. I would also doubt that a mod car with the current legal lipos would run a decent 8 min. I know gansie posted where he was getting 3-4 min. on the 4200nimh.

Both nitro and electric are fun depending on track size.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Tech Adept

Default BACK!!

I Want To Get A Nitro Car Since I Have 3 Traxxas RC What Other Kinds Of Cars Are There That Are Low Maintence?
Old 01-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Tech Adept

Default What About A?

What Kinds Of RTR Cars Are There From HPI Or Tamiya?
Old 01-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

With the brushless motor technology available today and those in development as well as the new generations of batteries now being developed, I see electric making a strong case for superiority.

The next year or so will really see a rapid expansion in the popularity of electric again as advancements in motor, battery, and electronics make electrics even faster, lighter and enjoying dramatically longer run times.

Nitro is the largest segment of the hobby and will never go away do to several factors, many mentioned by members here.

That being said, nitro has issues to face that are becoming factors in some locals. Noise ordinances, neighbor complaints and exhaust emissions are all liabilities to some extent.

While the sound, smell, and exhaust are an absolute turn on to many, they are equally repulsive to others. Don't think the GREEN machine hasn't noticed.

In California, they have already gone after 2 stroke engines (motorcycles, out board motors, ATV, watercraft, yard equipment, ect...). It wouldn't surprise me at all if at some point in the near future, other forms of combustion engines don't come under "environmental" scrutiny.

In the end, they're R/C! A form of enjoyment, sport and relaxation that we all enjoy, which form is better (electric or nitro) is a matter of opinion as both have strengths and weaknesses.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Tech Adept

Questions?? Is This A Good Nitro Rc Car?

How Is The nitro rs4 rtr 3+evo from HPI Racing? How Much Does It Cost And Is It Low Maintence?
Old 01-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stoptherockets3
OMG LOOK WHAT I JUST DID!
Did you get hit by a car while driving your truck on the road? Do us all a favor and keep your r/c off busy public roads. Take it to a parking lot or a track. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Francis M.
that video is from korea and he has another video breaking in an engine in his nitro car and he was passing the other cars just the same. So it seems like he is just a lot faster than the locals at that track. I would also doubt that a mod car with the current legal lipos would run a decent 8 min. I know gansie posted where he was getting 3-4 min. on the 4200nimh.

Both nitro and electric are fun depending on track size.
FYI my TC with a 5000mah lipo battery with a 3.5 mod motor will run 10 minutes . In florida we run 8 minute heats and mains with brushless/lipo
Old 01-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

I Want To Get A Nitro Car Since I Have 3 Traxxas RC What Other Kinds Of Cars Are There That Are Low Maintence?
low maintence? get an electric tc

and i wouldnt be bragging that you own 3 traxxas

If you want to be a basher then get a traxxas, if you want to race nitro i would recommend serpent,Mugen,Kyosho and x-ray any of those are a grerat choice.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Crawler
With the brushless motor technology available today and those in development as well as the new generations of batteries now being developed, I see electric making a strong case for superiority.

The next year or so will really see a rapid expansion in the popularity of electric again as advancements in motor, battery, and electronics make electrics even faster, lighter and enjoying dramatically longer run times.

Nitro is the largest segment of the hobby and will never go away do to several factors, many mentioned by members here.

That being said, nitro has issues to face that are becoming factors in some locals. Noise ordinances, neighbor complaints and exhaust emissions are all liabilities to some extent.

While the sound, smell, and exhaust are an absolute turn on to many, they are equally repulsive to others. Don't think the GREEN machine hasn't noticed.

In California, they have already gone after 2 stroke engines (motorcycles, out board motors, ATV, watercraft, yard equipment, ect...). It wouldn't surprise me at all if at some point in the near future, other forms of combustion engines don't come under "environmental" scrutiny.

In the end, they're R/C! A form of enjoyment, sport and relaxation that we all enjoy, which form is better (electric or nitro) is a matter of opinion as both have strengths and weaknesses.

Well said Crawler...

I've been racing 1/10 nitro for the past 2 years and I luv it. My buddy is trying to get me into electric sedan racing by giving me a ready to race car but it just didn't appeal to me. I would have to buy extra batteries, motors, chargers, dischargers, brush cutters, etc...

THat said, I just purchased a 1/18 RC18 with a brushless mamba package. This little monster is fun. I luv it in a sense that it is easy to use -- just charge and just go. No noise, and no one complains.

The brushless-lipo technology is still peaking and at somepoint in the near future will break the speed to run-time barrier that nitro cars enjoy. (Nitro cars can run till their little hearst desire, as long as there's gas.) LiPo capacities are getting larger and brushless motors are getting faster. Nitro technology, as far as engines and gas, has been relatively stagnant, and is probably close to the physical limits of the components that are used. Nitro motors are essentially made of same components but the quality, porting, timing, and custom grinding make them different from other engines. Nitro fuel is nitromethane and castor fuel and/or other lubricant. Unless there is a break-thru material or different nitro engine all together, nitro engines are close to plateauing.

For me, I'll always be a nitro head because of the sound, smell, and the speed.

Just my 2cents.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

How Is The nitro rs4 rtr 3+evo from HPI Racing? How Much Does It Cost And Is It Low Maintence?
stoptherocket,

I think you are shooting yourself in the foot when you say that electric rc's are toys and your nitro "unmodified Traxxas" and future HPI or Tamiya cars is not.

Try posting your replies in the electric thread and see what happens.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dnitro
Well said Crawler...

I've been racing 1/10 nitro for the past 2 years and I luv it. My buddy is trying to get me into electric sedan racing by giving me a ready to race car but it just didn't appeal to me. I would have to buy extra batteries, motors, chargers, dischargers, brush cutters, etc...

THat said, I just purchased a 1/18 RC18 with a brushless mamba package. This little monster is fun. I luv it in a sense that it is easy to use -- just charge and just go. No noise, and no one complains.

The brushless-lipo technology is still peaking and at somepoint in the near future will break the speed to run-time barrier that nitro cars enjoy. (Nitro cars can run till their little hearst desire, as long as there's gas.) LiPo capacities are getting larger and brushless motors are getting faster. Nitro technology, as far as engines and gas, has been relatively stagnant, and is probably close to the physical limits of the components that are used. Nitro motors are essentially made of same components but the quality, porting, timing, and custom grinding make them different from other engines. Nitro fuel is nitromethane and castor fuel and/or other lubricant. Unless there is a break-thru material or different nitro engine all together, nitro engines are close to plateauing.

For me, I'll always be a nitro head because of the sound, smell, and the speed.

Just my 2cents.

That car is still waiting D-nitro....

Marcos J. I do beleive that you guys are making 10 mins. but need to gear to make it or are running on a track that is smaller than your average nitro track.
Ive seen guys gear thier electric to keep up with nitro cars on tracks the size of ft. myer track but cannot make 5 min. with lipo's getting better i'm sure 10 min. at full speed will be possible.

I'm actually hoping that electrics get more run time and speed so that the larger tracks can get thier support.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Tech Master

I think..both are very fast & very interesting...
Old 01-21-2008, 04:17 AM
Tech Regular

why choose just buy one of each
Old 01-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Tech Regular

Default Comparo

Bokies,

Both Nitro and electric cars have their own strengths and weaknesses. Nitro has lots of engine power but it's heavy. Electric car has less power output but it's lightweight.

If electric car has to be as heavy as nitro cars, electric car will surely lose in the race.

For me, it's always exciting to see the 1/8 nitro create some gap on the straight line only to see the 1/10 pan car overtake later. You can also see how the electric pan car out accelerate, out brake and overtake from the inside.

Try it in both tight, medium and fast flowing track. Everyone would be interested who wins or lose.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Tech Adept

Default Bokies?

What Does Bokies Mean? But Otherwise I Agree! BUT GO NITRO!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.