4-tec carbon fiber graphite parts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4-tec carbon fiber graphite parts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 01:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? 4-tec carbon fiber graphite parts?

other than the upper chassis that is available (though not as widely as i hoped it would) are there any graphite parts for the 4-tec? I would imagine that it would make turning a lot better since the 4-tec has a fat ass.

If it's not available would i have to make my own? It won't be a problem since I have a milling machine. What thickness should i use? Can i use Texalium? Hybrid?

ty in advance for your input.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Tech Initiate

ttt
Old 12-15-2007, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Once apon a time, Traxxas used to have the larger shocks, graphite shock towers, braces and upper deck. I did mine up, but that was over four years ago. I don't think that Traxxas supports their 4-Tec like they used to. My LHS told me that they can only get the graphite upper deck.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Graphite

Yeah I know Traxxas even Discontinued the upper deck too. Check out my custo Graphite Lower Chassis I built HERE: http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...=187973&page=3
Old 12-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by revo_rules
Yeah I know Traxxas even Discontinued the upper deck too. Check out my custo Graphite Lower Chassis I built HERE: http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...=187973&page=3
wow that is insanely nice! dude, you can make some serious money if you made more of those and sold them! mind if i be on the list first if your thinking about making more?
Old 12-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Tech Adept

With this chassis the engine doesn't get too hot?
I believe that the reason why nitro cars use aluminum chassis is to dissipate heat.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Ramiel
With this chassis the engine doesn't get too hot?
I believe that the reason why nitro cars use aluminum chassis is to dissipate heat.
if that was the case every nitro car in the market would be overheating after a few minutes of run time. The engine head is what cools it, notice the ribs?
Old 12-18-2007, 05:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by aznrevlazn
if that was the case every nitro car in the market would be overheating after a few minutes of run time. The engine head is what cools it, notice the ribs?
so why not use chassis made of carbon fiber like the eletric cars? it would be lighter and stronger.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

so why not use chassis made of carbon fiber like the eletric cars? it would be lighter and stronger.
because it makes the nitro cars more expensive
Old 12-18-2007, 07:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by joe of loath
because it makes the nitro cars more expensive
hahahah don't make me laugh
we are talking about serious racing cars, a chassis made of carbon fiber is not going to make the cars far more expensive than they already are. Let's say to F1 teams to use aluminum instead of carbon fiber to reduce the costs, cuz that's what they are concerned about...
Old 12-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Tech Initiate

ramiel , by all means if you think it's the chassis that cools the engine then by all means wrap your cooling head in electrical tape and do some hard runs and find out what the outcome will be.

People go with the carbon fiber because it's not only lighter than plastic or aluminum but it's a hell of alot stronger, though more rigid. And now your bringing formula cars into this? Engineers use what they can for certain applications whether to sacrifice strength over weight or weight over strength. If they can and will use carbon fiber, they will. But if they need something less rigid with the same amount of strength they'll use aluminum or even titanium (and btw, formula teams have the capital and sponsorship to do either and or).
Old 12-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

ramiel , by all means if you think it's the chassis that cools the engine then by all means wrap your cooling head in electrical tape and do some hard runs and find out what the outcome will be.

People go with the carbon fiber because it's not only lighter than plastic or aluminum but it's a hell of alot stronger, though more rigid. And now your bringing formula cars into this? Engineers use what they can for certain applications whether to sacrifice strength over weight or weight over strength. If they can and will use carbon fiber, they will. But if they need something less rigid with the same amount of strength they'll use aluminum or even titanium (and btw, formula teams have the capital and sponsorship to do either and or).
Don't be stupid. I never said that the chassis cools the engine, I said that it helps to keep temperature down. Electric cars usually don't go over 120ºC so they can use carbon fiber chassis.
I used F1 example to talk about costs, not about carbon fiber been more rigid or not. That argument is ridiculous
If you say that the engineers use aluminum to have more flexibility that makes more sense, but I'm still not convinced otherwise electric cars would use aluminum chassis too and probably we would have a carbon fiber chassis as an option to nitro cars.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Don't be stupid. I never said that the chassis cools the engine, I said that it helps to keep temperature down. Electric cars usually don't go over 120ºC so they can use carbon fiber chassis.
I used F1 example to talk about costs, not about carbon fiber been more rigid or not. That argument is ridiculous
If you say that the engineers use aluminum to have more flexibility that makes more sense, but I'm still not convinced otherwise electric cars would use aluminum chassis too and probably we would have a carbon fiber chassis as an option to nitro cars.
There are, lol.

And your saying that electros would use aluminum chassis' too? Of course they would dependent on the application, hell most electros come with aluminum bottom chassis and it's not because of a heat application you moron it's for rigidity and weight.

Hell, why don't the bottom chassis on all nitros have ribs!? It would help better to disperse that oh so most destructible 120+ degree heat from the engine!
Old 12-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Tech Adept

There are, lol.

And your saying that electros would use aluminum chassis' too? Of course they would dependent on the application, hell most electros come with aluminum bottom chassis and it's not because of a heat application you moron it's for rigidity and weight.

Hell, why don't the bottom chassis on all nitros have ribs!? It would help better to disperse that oh so most destructible 120+ degree heat from the engine!
I'm done. I'm not going down to be at the same level as you.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Cool

I'm done. I'm not going down to be at the same level as you.
Azn 1 Ramiel 0

mad cause i am right huh? yeah, it happens (though in your case i am guessing alot).