NTC3 Pivot balls

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NTC3 Pivot balls

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 05:44 AM

Default NTC3 Pivot balls

Does anyone know where i can buy Pivot balls for the NTC3 by the bulk? These four in a pack pivot balls are not cutting it. I at least bend two every time i race. And at 8-9$ per pack its getting a little high. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 06-01-2003, 06:05 AM

Maybe try and slow down alittle bit , stay off the boards. I've broke 2 pivot balls off and bent 2 in a 1 1/2 years of racing the NTC3.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:36 AM
Tech Regular

The ones I have bent, and that isn't many, I have fixed by putting them in a vice and smacking the ball end back straight. Won't work if they are real bad but a little bend is easy to fix. Just be careful to not mess up the threads. I use brass inserts in the vice and barely tighten the vice.

Besides, hitting something makes me feel better, they only bend after I screw up and hit a board.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:54 AM

Thanks for some of the ideas. The track i run on is very tight and not really forgiving on these heavy gas cars. So i'm bound to hit the board at least once during one of the races. Most of the time its the pivot ball on the lower a-arm that is getting bent. And right after i clip a board i know if my car bent a pivot ball because it develops a push. so if anybody knows where i can get these in bulk it sure would be helpful. Or maybe if RPM could develop a slightly wider front bumper . hmm.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

and your using what brand of ball?
Old 06-02-2003, 05:40 AM

I'm using the Associated steel pivot Balls.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Be carefull when bending them back, they will only take this kind of stress once or twice. The next time it won't bend, it will break. I'll be installing Mugen pillow balls in my NTC3 as soon as my LHS gets them in for me. Shafts are a little thicker, resists bending a little better. We'll see.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

I replaced my steel pivot balls with titanium ones. They're a little more expensive, but they're a lot more durable.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by NTC3NUT
Be carefull when bending them back, they will only take this kind of stress once or twice. The next time it won't bend, it will break. I'll be installing Mugen pillow balls in my NTC3 as soon as my LHS gets them in for me. Shafts are a little thicker, resists bending a little better. We'll see.
I thought you were running the Ti Racing ones?...
Old 06-09-2003, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Donnie-D
I replaced my steel pivot balls with titanium ones. They're a little more expensive, but they're a lot more durable.
Are they thicker than the steel ones they replace?

If they're not then they are actually less durable but weigh less. Common myth is that Ti is stronger than steel, it isn't. It is less dense than steel and it all depends on which alloys of steel are being compared to which alloy of Ti.

I'm sticking to the steel pivot balls, at $9 srp for 4 they are a bargain vs. $15 for 2.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Titanium is stronger than some steels. It just depends on what grade Ti and steel... The ntc3 pivot balls seem like low grade carbon steel.... Anybody know if the mugen or hudy (x-ray/serpent) balls will fit??