Wiki Posts
Search

TUNE PIPES AND HEADERS - HELP WANTED

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (78%+)
Default TUNE PIPES AND HEADERS - HELP WANTED

HI HUYS, I NEED SOME URGENT HELP ON TUNE PIPES AND EXHAUST HEADERS. I HAVE HEARD LOTS OF DIFFERENT ANSWERS OF WHAT TO USE BUT I CAN'T MAKE A DECISION SO I FIGURED IT IS TIME TO ASK YOU GUYS.

SO HERES MY QUESTIONS:
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A SINGLE AND DUAL CHAMBER TUNE PIPE? HOW CAN I TELL IF IT IS A SINGLE OR DUAL? IS IT BETTER TO HAVE 1 OR 2 EXHAUST TIPS? LONGER OR SHORTER EXHAUST HEADER?

DOES CERTAIN EXHAUSTS DO CERTAIN THINGS? DO THEY HELP ON TOP SPEED OR ACCELARATION ETC?

IF SOMEONE CAN HELP ME ON THESE ANSWERS THAT WILL BE GREAT AS I WANT TO UPGRADE MY EXHAUST AND I AM NOT SURE WHICH ONE TO PUT ON.

THANKS
Old 12-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

Can someone please tell me which of these stock NTC3 exhausts are better overall for performance and how many chambers do they have in each?
Attached Thumbnails TUNE PIPES AND HEADERS - HELP WANTED-ntc3-exhaust-r.jpg   TUNE PIPES AND HEADERS - HELP WANTED-ntc3-exhaust-s.jpg  
Old 12-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

A good rule to follow is that a shorter pipe/manifold= more top end power, while a longer pipe/manifold= more torque.

As far as the chambers, I don't know the actual effect on power, but I know that a lot of the pipes have the EFRA stamp making them legal for certain sanctioning bodies.

Good luck.

-Steve
Old 12-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bsmooth
A good rule to follow is that a shorter pipe/manifold= more top end power, while a longer pipe/manifold= more torque.

As far as the chambers, I don't know the actual effect on power, but I know that a lot of the pipes have the EFRA stamp making them legal for certain sanctioning bodies.

Good luck.

-Steve
So steve if I were going for more top end power I am better off putting the rear exhaust on my NTC3 rather than having the stock side exhaust one that is on know? Is that correct?
Old 12-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Tech Addict

Paul,
I'm not very familiar with the TC3, but if you have a side exhaust engine now (like the picture) you will only be able to run a side exhaust type of pipe. The only bonus is that if your pipe has the silicone coupler, you can pull the pipe out a few millimeters making it longer. This will give you more top end hp, but will also lean the engine out, so make sure you richen the high speed needle to compensate for this.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Tech Regular

Hi, I am a little confused. In your first reply you said "shorter pipe/manifold= more top end power" then on your next reply you said lengthen the silicone coupler to give more top end. So which one is it? Longer pipe more top end? Shorter pipe more top end? Sorry for the inconvenience, just trying to learn a bit about tuned pipes. Cheers
Old 12-06-2007, 12:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by paul73rc
Hi, I am a little confused. In your first reply you said "shorter pipe/manifold= more top end power" then on your next reply you said lengthen the silicone coupler to give more top end. So which one is it? Longer pipe more top end? Shorter pipe more top end? Sorry for the inconvenience, just trying to learn a bit about tuned pipes. Cheers
Shorter pipe gives more top speed. Longer pipe gives more bottom end.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Can someone please tell me which of these stock NTC3 exhausts are better overall for performance and how many chambers do they have in each?
If your talking about the ntc3. this car has the ability to except a side or rear exhaust pipe. but it all depends on which type of engine is installed on the car. When talking about the silicon coupler this is small tuning adjustment if you have a long pipe you can somewhat shorten the pipe thru the coupler to try to get a litlle more top end.
Most top end pipes are dual chamber ( a chamber with in a chamber). The best way to tell is if you stick a small object thru the exhaust stinger and it does reach all the way thru the pipe then it is dual chamber. A single chamber is just a hollow pipe. hope this helps

race you later
Old 12-06-2007, 07:24 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bsmooth
Paul,
I'm not very familiar with the TC3, but if you have a side exhaust engine now (like the picture) you will only be able to run a side exhaust type of pipe. The only bonus is that if your pipe has the silicone coupler, you can pull the pipe out a few millimeters making it longer. This will give you more top end hp, but will also lean the engine out, so make sure you richen the high speed needle to compensate for this.
Sorry Paul!
I confused myself!!! Reverse what I said. I gotta get off these boards when i'm tired
Old 12-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Tech Adept

when you drive can you recognize the difference in speed, if you can't i would just run whatever pipe the engine manufactory recommends for that pipe. which by the way most of the time is the best choice for any level of driving.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Both of the pictures you attached are single chambered pipes. The one on the car is a side exhaust. The one pictured by itself is for a rear exhaust engine. There is a dual chamber pipe similar to the one picture you have but it has a weld seem. I liked the dual chamber the best as it had better overall performance from what I remember. As for the header length I remember having roughly .5 mm gap between the header and the pipe.