Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with your nitro gear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions?? Flying with your nitro gear?

It's been a while since ive flown with my nitro gear. With airport security growing worse and worse, what should I be expecting? I know you obviously cant take fuel, but what is everyones experiences? What should I be expecting?

any help would be apperciated.

Thanks Jason
Old 11-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jason Smith
It's been a while since ive flown with my nitro gear. With airport security growing worse and worse, what should I be expecting? I know you obviously cant take fuel, but what is everyones experiences? What should I be expecting?

any help would be apperciated.

Thanks Jason
New regulations do not allow for RC transmitter to be hand carried. You must check it in. It doesn't matter if it is a radio shack or Airtronic. You must check it in. Funny thing is they allow lipos, which is known to explode and give off intense heat and toxic fumes.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

Should I be worrying about shock oils and nitro engines?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dnitro
New regulations do not allow for RC transmitter to be hand carried. You must check it in. It doesn't matter if it is a radio shack or Airtronic. You must check it in. Funny thing is they allow lipos, which is known to explode and give off intense heat and toxic fumes.
I carried on my transmitter only a few weeks ago for the sedan nats. They didn't even open my transmitter bag.

If you try to carry on your car, I would remove the tank, engine and exhaust. Box it up and clean it thoroughly. Oils fall into the area of liquids which have been a problem for several months now. I would check my shock oil as you are very limited as to what liquids can be carried on.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Since when?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks a lot guys. I'll be checking everything.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Tech Addict

whats up Jason, if you check your carriers in meaning under the plane you can put what ever you want in them and your ok, now if your carrying anything on with you on the plane then you need to be careful. I have a radio bag and a back pack that I carry with me on the plane, in the back pack I put my car in there with everything on it ready to go. If they have you open it up and its all clean they really don't say much and if you have the radio there with you they put two and two together and let you be on your way. The reason why I bring my car on the plane ready to start is because if your bags get lost at least you have your car with you and you can borrow tools when you get to the track until they locate your bags

just my two cents
P.S. it works for me every time and I fly out of LAX
Old 11-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
Since when?
I travel nationwide for work and I've seen it happen a couple of times. A little boy's toy rc controller was pulled out during screening and the parents had to check it in. The line to check bags and TSA screening line can be so long that you may miss your flight if you have to go back to check something in. The thing is, not all TSA agents are follow the same protocol, so you can get away with it on occassion.

I also saw a segment in the new that mentioned the ban. The argument for the ban was that a person can control something in the luggage area via remote control....i.e. trigger a device with the remote.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

i just carried my radio and my car to the sedan nats and it was no problem
Old 11-29-2007, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'm not sure about now, but a couple months ago, I traveled with my car, starter box, engines, and radio in a Metal case that I have. When going through security, they always pull me asside and inspect the case. They just swab the heck out of it and ask a few questions. But on the other hand, my budy last year at the nats had to go back and check an item in. And he was in line with me. I quess it is just however they feel.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:48 AM
Tech Adept

what about just shipping your equipment to the races?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Jason where you going
Old 11-29-2007, 04:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by steve blair
Jason where you going
Hey Steve im going to the US open wheel champs in charlotte. 400 plus entries all the big dogs in dirt oval, should be a good time.

P.S. Make sure you save the exhaust off that new car you just got. It belongs to my brother and I loaned it out.

Give me a call soon, we'll go Karting before it gets too cold.

Jason
Old 11-30-2007, 06:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jason Smith
Hey Steve im going to the US open wheel champs in charlotte. 400 plus entries all the big dogs in dirt oval, should be a good time.

P.S. Make sure you save the exhaust off that new car you just got. It belongs to my brother and I loaned it out.

Give me a call soon, we'll go Karting before it gets too cold.

Jason
Tony Stewart is racing? also?
Old 11-30-2007, 06:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

How much stuff do you guys bring? I assume we try to condense as much as possible. Do you pre order your fuel and get it at the track? Also, is there a standard (that all airlines use) of maximum size and weight when checking your stuff?

Thanks,
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.