what a good first car?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what a good first car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

I agree totally with ApexSpeeds comments.
My opinion for a good starter car is still the NTC3. A cheap and very competitive car to have as a beginner. My second choise is the HPI RS4 series car. Parts and great looking bodies are out there like crazy for the HPI car.
My first RC race car was the 4-Tec. It was the fastest thing going straight! Turning was another issue. The guys that had the TC3's were turning and not breaking. I got one and dropped in a Fantom .15 in it and was happy. Later, I made the move to Serpent.

If it wasn't for the practical experiance of running the TC3 I would not have the knoledge base to go into the more expensive pure race kits out there. Remember crashing? Try that with our pro kits. $$$$$ The Hpi and TC3 can take a hit and still be competitive. Easy to fix and cheap to operate. Have fun while learning your car!
Old 11-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi Ivoo,

If you plan on taking on this hobby for a looong time, then take their advise: Get a real race car like the Kyosho V-one RRR, X-Ray NT1, Mugen MTX4, Serpent 720, etc. so you won't be wasting your time.

But if you really just want to test the waters, then get a Kyosho FW-05t plus. This one is for beginner and intermediate users. It's a car you can grow with. It is durable and easily upgradable.

You mentioned V-One S. This is also a good car. But since it is belt driven, pebbles and other tiny debris on the street can easily damage the drive belts. I'm not saying it is less durable. Just that for street bashing, a shaft driven car is more suitable. V-one S is also easily upgradable.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ivoo....By the looks of your avatar, you are in Australia possibly even Brisbane cause that looks like willowbank. If you want a nitro tourer then Mugen is the easiest car to get parts for hands down. Not only that its a brilliant car right out of the box and is capable of being well and truly on the pace. So my advise to you is to go down this track.

have fun

Daniel
Old 11-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ivoo
can people please just leave a comment saying which rc car is the best to start off. a drifter or anythng
Depends on where are you going to use it at the local track to race or parking lot or street bashingfor racing Kyosho,Mugen,Xray,Serpent,G4s are all good choices and for parking lot street bashing NTC3 or Kyosho you want a shaft car because of the little pebbles and rocks will mess up a belted car hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:27 AM
Tech Adept

FW06 is a good beginner car. The shaft is going to give you less problems and now it comes with a better radio with digital servos.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

parang kilala kita
Old 11-26-2007, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Default hmm

MUGEN first car & last you'll need
Old 11-26-2007, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SOLOARTIST 702
MUGEN first car & last you'll need

Would you really recommend a Mugen to a beginner who is bashing a drifter in the driveway?

It's really quite difficult—if not impossible—to make ANY recommendation on a car if no one really knows how he wants to use it.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Default hmm

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Would you really recommend a Mugen to a beginner who is bashing a drifter in the driveway?

It's really quite difficult—if not impossible—to make ANY recommendation on a car if no one really knows how he wants to use it.
no but i just threw that in
Old 11-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ivoo
can people please just leave a comment saying which rc car is the best to start off. a drifter or anythng

Start of with NTC3, RS4, or FT05. Good starter cars. They all have front diffs, which means you have full control of brakes. The high end cars front one-ways, which makes it difficult to brake. It gets very touchy. And you don't have to deal with centax clutch. If you are a beginner, the learning curve is already steep as it is, specially regarding engine tuning and maintenance.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The best first car is a Tamiya Frog, Hornet, or Grasshopper. Once you master that, move up to a Tamiya Hot Shot (4wd). Then take the leap and get an electric sedan such as Associated TC3/4/5. Finally move up to a nitro sedan finally arriving at a Mugen, Kyosho, Serpent, OFNA, Magic, X-Ray.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by garen
The best first car is a Tamiya Frog, Hornet, or Grasshopper. Once you master that, move up to a Tamiya Hot Shot (4wd). Then take the leap and get an electric sedan such as Associated TC3/4/5. Finally move up to a nitro sedan finally arriving at a Mugen, Kyosho, Serpent, OFNA, Magic, X-Ray.
Ummmm, I can't really argue with this. Afterall, It's how I started over 20 years ago. I still have my original Tamiya Frog.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Serpentd
Ummmm, I can't really argue with this. Afterall, It's how I started over 20 years ago. I still have my original Tamiya Frog.
that is one really ugly car!
Old 11-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

For "Drifting", "Bashing" and possible racing you could look at the Kyosho Inferno GT cars.

They're much stronger than any typical on-road cars, a lot bigger and can run over 50mph right out of the box in RTR trim. They can be run on just about any surface with just simple tire changes. Check the latest edition of "RC Car", there's a great write-up on them.

Check with your local tracks, many are talking of starting "classes" for them too.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ramiel
that is one really ugly car!
Yeah, well I never said it was pretty. I think it looks offroad cool sort of. After all it was made around 1980 or something. What do you expect??

Anyway, I agree with Jspeed, the IGT would be a KILLER first car. Fast fun and most of all DURABLE!!! Cheap too, around $400 bucks for everything. You really can't beat that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.