Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
General 1/8th Scale On-Road Thread >

General 1/8th Scale On-Road Thread

General 1/8th Scale On-Road Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

Use your 20 or 25% nitro you'll be just fine. The worlds events "IFMAR" only allow up to 25% nitro... And "in my opinion" it's easier to tune motors with a lower nitro percentage... So, be worlds legal and tune your motor to live longer :-)

http://www.ifmar.org/pdf/ifmar_wc_8th_track.pdf

Section 5.23
Old 11-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Excellent. I'll stick to my Byron 20% for everything then. I'm not out to win races or points championships... just have fun and be in the ballpark.

Ok, here's another couple:
  • What are the screws/screw holes in the outside of the rear body mount for?
  • Can someone explain the technical aspects and tuning of that type of rear body mount system? Why does it move with the suspension and what do the adjustments in the mount offer?

For as long as I have been racing, I don't think there have ever been as many questions about any given car or class ever before.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

the holes in the body mount accept screws which can be adjusted to allow the body to rest directly on them.
the floating body mount transfers downforce directly to the suspension and keep the rear of the body in the same position regardless of the suspension angle. normally you can move the body mount position to raise or lower the body/body angle for more or less rear downforce.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

Found some more good tech info here:

Engine Tuning

Centax Setup

Last edited by ESWLFSE; 11-20-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:49 AM
Tech Regular

I just thought of a question. Can you run different cars for qualifying and mains? Or - do you qualify a car or a driver? If not, how differently is the car set up for qualifying vs. mains?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

As far as I know, it's the driver who qualifies in all R/C racing. Changing cars would only be advantageous to someone who wants a really different setup for a main and doesn't want to change the whole car between rounds. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone doing that successfully very often.

Here's a bland question... who sells black wheeled tires? I cant stand the yellow, and white is just dull to me. GQ orange is cool but tough to find. Anyone make black or grey (a la Protoform photos) wheels or are the ones I have seen just dyed?
Old 11-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed

Here's a bland question... who sells black wheeled tires? I cant stand the yellow, and white is just dull to me. GQ orange is cool but tough to find. Anyone make black or grey (a la Protoform photos) wheels or are the ones I have seen just dyed?
.....don't think anyone.........i also want black wheels......Serpent sells black wheels for their F180 but come with tall foams that would need cut down........i don't think the new wheels will take dye like old Associated nylon......paint them?..will work good till you touch a board... http://www.serpent.com/product/301931/
Old 11-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Looks like there are black ones out there. I'm working on finding out the brand and wheel. wOOt!
Old 11-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Looks like there are black ones out there. I'm working on finding out the brand and wheel. wOOt!
In 2006 1/8 Nationals, some drivers were using tires by Lightspeedrc that had black rims. However, I do not think the site still exists.

Doug
Old 11-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

Regarding wheels...what are some good sources? Are prices pretty consistent at about $38/set? Are there only two types - Serpent and Kyosho/Mugen? What is the difference between them? Does anybody replace donuts anymore?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ESWLFSE
Regarding wheels...what are some good sources? Are prices pretty consistent at about $38/set? Are there only two types - Serpent and Kyosho/Mugen? What is the difference between them? Does anybody replace donuts anymore?
..... I buy all my stuff from Lee Muse at www.gasrccar.com 20 bucks for a pr of rears and 15 bucks for a pair of fronts for my Serpent. Not sure about prices about Kyosho/Mugen. NO ONE i know of does donuts anymore... funny you ask because Lee just priced donuts for me for my RC200/300. He wants 16 for rear donuts and 12 for front donuts. almost the same cost as complete wheel/tire and they're already trued.........
Old 11-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Already on the second page, but this thread has been a huge help so far. Thanks to everyone who has participated to this point.

Can someone explain what a boost bottle does on the pressure line to the exhaust, and why it is used?
Old 11-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Tech Adept

Already on the second page, but this thread has been a huge help so far. Thanks to everyone who has participated to this point.

Can someone explain what a boost bottle does on the pressure line to the exhaust, and why it is used?
As far as I know, the pressure chamber helps the motor from not leaning out in the event of it running out of gas and if the cars turns over. Bottomline, it helps regulates the pressure to the tank.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

GQ orange is cool but tough to find.
I scored a few sets of orange GQ 37s on EBay for $27 each.

What about fuel guns? I still need on of these and they are pricey. Which ones are the best value? We used Delta squeeze bottles when I last raced.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ESWLFSE
I scored a few sets of orange GQ 37s on EBay for $27 each.

What about fuel guns? I still need on of these and they are pricey. Which ones are the best value? We used Delta squeeze bottles when I last raced.
Proline makes a good Fuel Gun that sells for only $49.99.
and it has a nice cylinder that is made of clear plastic which you see the amount of fuel inside the fuel gun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.