Community
Wiki Posts
Search

And this is what happened to my JP-FX3 Piston

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default And this is what happened to my JP-FX3 Piston

I have no idea how this happened. I did look at my engine bearings and one of the balls in the main bearing looks like it has split in half so that might have caused it. I'm so annoyed as this piston is only 3 race meetings old and the bearings are 1 race meeting old.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Did you just installed a new rear bearing? if you did which brand and what kind? is it an original bearing? what happened to the original bearing? (that is if you just replaced the rear bearing)
Old 11-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yes i did replace the rear bearing with a new rear bearing. thats why i said it was only 1 race meeting old. and it was the proper JP FX bearings specifically for that motor
Old 11-10-2007, 11:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ViperSkull
Yes i did replace the rear bearing with a new rear bearing. thats why i said it was only 1 race meeting old. and it was the proper JP FX bearings specifically for that motor
part # 16602C ?
Old 11-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Tech Addict

aww!!! that's too bad...
if you say its the bearing balls, it looks like it went up the combustion chamber through the intake port but got stock on the sleeve as the piston pushed up and scraped the piston, and i believe same thing happened to the sleeve as well...

ohh well, get yourself an early christmas present and get a modified engine!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

I just took the Rear bearing out and had a look and one of the balls has a chunk taken out of it. so depressing
Old 11-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
part # 16602C ?
Yes, part number 16602
Old 11-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Default hmm

where can i get that part
Old 11-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Tech Adept

I just took the Rear bearing out and had a look and one of the balls has a chunk taken out of it. so depressing

Next question.......how did you install the bearing??
Old 11-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Was the rear bearing installed using the proper tools ? It may not have been properly seated.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Angry

holy crap http
Old 11-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I assume the bearing you installed had ceramic balls. Is this correct?

Ceramic bearings, allthough extremely hard, are extremely fragile. Any impact to the bearing can cause the balls to crack, split, or shatter. So if this bearing was subject to impact of any sort (ie. hammering into the crankcase, or even falling off the workbench) this would be the cause of the failure. Extreme care MUST be used when handling these special bearings, and if there is any doubt that the new bearing has been subject to impact it MUST be discarded and replaced.

The proper method of installation of ceramic bearings is critical to avoid such problems.

The best method is to heat the crankcase to roughly 250 deg. F. and refrigerate the bearings prior to installation. Then simply drop the bearings in place. They should slip right in to their final position in the crankcase easily. This technique does require some skill that the bearing is not accidentially allowed to slip in crooked, if it is it can get stuck. This will require the bearing to be PRESSED back out and recooled for another try. IN NO CASE SHOULD YOU HAMMER THESE BEARINGS IN OR OUT OF THE CRANKCASE!

The next best method would be to use a pulling tool to draw the bearing into positin in the crankcase. This is quite easy but does require some special tools. These tools are available from Novarossi and other sources.

The last method I would reccomend, but as a last resort is using a press. The only downfall tho this method is the possibility to push the bearing in a little crooked and the race can actually gouge the bearing surface in the crankcase. This can build up a slight amount of material from the crankase behind the bearing race and not allow it to seat completely. Also the bearing can be off axis if this happens causing running or performance issues.

Good luck on the next engine, and remember to treat ceramic bearings with the utmost care when handling and installing. They are a great product but must be dealt with carefully.

BK

I have no idea how this happened. I did look at my engine bearings and one of the balls in the main bearing looks like it has split in half so that might have caused it. I'm so annoyed as this piston is only 3 race meetings old and the bearings are 1 race meeting old.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Yes, part number 16602
16602 without a "C" is not a ceramic bearing.