R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-30-2007, 02:05 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Clutch bell problem

over the weekend I was having problem with my clutch on a kyosho evolva. Guys down at the track suggested that the clutch bell need to be changed because it was "shinny". does any one got any criteria that i can follow so that I know when to change it exactly, not based on emotional decision on the day. I read about the shinny clutch bell somewhere on the web. what irritates me is the idea that the inside of the clutch bell should stay dark? the clutch bell receives pushing force from the clutch pad behind it when the engine rpm is high enough. at such rpm the contact between the pad and clutch bell would eventually polish the inside of the clutch bell. but it doesn't mean the clutch bell is distorted or worn? any one got better clues to when i should change the clutch bell?
ERL2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:13 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Mine is shining very well, and I don't have problem with acceleration.

I think you need to play with spring tension, clutch gap and end play adjustment.

Perhaps it's time to replace clutch spring and clutch shoe ?
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

A shiny clutch bell indicates that the clutch bell has excessive slipping which is not a good thing. I would hit the bell with a little scotch bright and check it between qualifiers. If it gets shiny again I believe your your clutch spring is too tight. If a clutch is allowed to slip excessively it will generate a lot of heat and distort the clutch bell and or ruin the clutch shoe. I normally change my clutch bell when the bearing inside the cluch will not fit tightly or the bell has excessive wobble. Hope this helps
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
Tech Regular

so the idea is, when the hard anodized material is shiny, think of when the last time it was new and not shiny. Its time for a new bell.
jake alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:18 AM   #5
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

I wouldn't replace the bell just because it's shiny. I replace the bell when my clutch bearings don't fit well. I just hit the clutch bell with scotch brite. But if the clutch shoe is glazed real heavy then I will replace the clutch shoe.
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote