Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC Travel Bag

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Default RC Travel Bag

Is there a hardcase / fully padded bag to transport your car / tools if you have to travel by plane ? What do you guys use ?
Old 10-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I use my normal race bag. Problem with the hard case types is weight. You are limited to 50lbs. I have no problem getting my normal nylon bag with cardboard boxes up to that weight.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Tech Lord

I use a plastic travel/storage case from my boss.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Wal-Mart has a nice mobile toolkit for about 25 dollars. It has two compartments and wheels. The first compartment perfectly fits my 1/10 scale on road and tools, and the bottom compartment fits my radio and gas. The only thing bad about it is that it isn't wide enough for a starter box.

It can't find a picture of it, but just think of two toolboxes stacked on top of each other (removable) with wheels.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks ! The bags / containers that were mentioned; are they checked in or hand carried ? My only concern is that I don't want the car crushed when being transported by plane. Is this an issue if a regular hauler bag is used ?
Old 10-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Garaski
Thanks ! The bags / containers that were mentioned; are they checked in or hand carried ? My only concern is that I don't want the car crushed when being transported by plane. Is this an issue if a regular hauler bag is used ?
Everytime I have flown to a race (about 2-3 times/year) I have put my car into my regular Associated race bag and checked the bag. (not carry-on) It is a bit hard on the cardboard boxes, but I have not had anything damaged.......yet.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What I am going to bring on the plane as my carry on is my car, my bodies, my engines and my transmitter. And everything else is going in a hauler.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Default hmm

you also want to have wheels on your case if possible it is a lot easier to get around the airport i didnt have any problem last time i checked all my bags accept my radio carried that on good luck
Old 10-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Michael P
What I am going to bring on the plane as my carry on is my car, my bodies, my engines and my transmitter. And everything else is going in a hauler.

Michael:

If you are going to do that, make sure to take the engine and exhaust out of the car, clean them well and put them in their own boxes. Same thing with the fuel tank. Take it out of the car, and clean it well. I would also not have fuel line on the car. Put some new line somewhere in your carry on, but not on the car itself. I am guessing you and your father got the email from Ryan regarding RC stuff in your carry on, but if you didn't, send me your email address and I will forward it to you.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Tech Elite

We all better be ready for the future because with the fears of terrorism aren’t going away.

Its sad but there could come a day that any transmitter or receiver might be banned from airline travel.

The best thing we can start doing is thinking of shipping gear via UPS or someone like that direct to our hotel rooms in the future.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You will get grilled at security if you try to carry those items on. Believe me you need to check that stuff in in a hauler bag or something. I fly 5 or six times a year and believe me you are better off carrying on your clothes. I got hassled carrying on a bag with just tires and a truer in it. Quit doing that a couple of years ago.

I recommend checking everything at curbside and giving the skycap 5 or 10 bucks and that somehow always gets my bags there safe and sound.

Brad
Old 10-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Tech Addict

When I traveled to the Great Lakes Challenge 2006 in Toledo, Ohio from Fort Lauderdale, I had my equipment, tools & bodies pack in the Team Magic F8 bag. I took my Nitro car (Cleaned really, really well) and radio/ transmitter in my carry on luggage for fear of them being damaged in the cargo/ check luggage section. There was a slight (maybe xtra 10 - 15 mins) clearing security but I was able to take it on the plane. Coming back thru Detriot (can't remember the name but a major airport) absolutely NO issues, NO hold-up at all BUT this was last year August
Old 10-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

The email I received was from a posting made on Oct 1st of this year. It talks specifically about radio control toys. It doesn't say you can't take them on, but it says to expect extra delays as the "TSA is aware that RC toys could be used to initiate devices used in a terrorist attack"
Old 10-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

to be on the safe side, take the batteries out of the transmitter and check them in with your luggage. If they suspect any fuel what so ever in the tank or in the motors, they will confiscate it. So remove the tank and engine and rap them up and place them in with your luggage to get checked in.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
The email I received was from a posting made on Oct 1st of this year. It talks specifically about radio control toys. It doesn't say you can't take them on, but it says to expect extra delays as the "TSA is aware that RC toys could be used to initiate devices used in a terrorist attack"
Those guys at TSA just crack me up (well, not really). Any electronic device can be used to "initiate". I'm surprised they don't make us fly in our underwear with TSA provided disposable jumper suits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.