Is There A RTR Dragster Worth Buying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is There A RTR Dragster Worth Buying?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 01:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Is There A RTR Dragster Worth Buying?

I was just wanting to see if anyone had any luck with any of the RTR dragsters, can they actually compete. Due to being handicapped it is hard for me to put a kit together. I thought another option would be to ask the community if there was someone reputable that would build me one and make a few bucks. Any advice would be appreciated. I know megatech makes a rail and a funny car. Does anyone know if either one of these products are worthy? Thanx in advance for any feedback.
Dip
Old 10-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gofastrlbrown
I was just wanting to see if anyone had any luck with any of the RTR dragsters, can they actually compete. Due to being handicapped it is hard for me to put a kit together. I thought another option would be to ask the community if there was someone reputable that would build me one and make a few bucks. Any advice would be appreciated. I know megatech makes a rail and a funny car. Does anyone know if either one of these products are worthy? Thanx in advance for any feedback.
Dip
..wonder if these guys could help you out? look like they have nice cars....... http://www.grandmotorsports.com/
Old 10-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Tech Addict

Default Depends on what you want to do with it

The megatech's are fine unless you try and up the power very much. Running an OS .18 is about the limit to what you can do. Lots of them out there I started with one myself. GMS has excellent kits as does Walbern. I've had them both and recommend either one. Both have gas and electric kits.

www.grandmotorsports.com

www.teamwalbern.com

Griz
Old 10-29-2007, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

its not too hard to make one yourself. just shove a huge motor into a strip of 9mm plastic and put some big wheels on it. i was on a thread a while ago with someone making an eletric dragster.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Tech Addict

Building a drag kit is ALOT less painfull than building other kits. There is not to much to them. If you need help or advice, just PM me.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Tech Addict

Default Not quite that easy

You might have something that will go down the track doing it that way but you probably won't win much if any. There is development that goes into these cars just like any other car. GMS and Walbern both have multiple titles and many wins. With a rail stiffness of the chassis is very important. You want it to bow slightly when you hit the power then level out. The bow helps keep the front wheels on the ground and also like a real dragster gets it moving faster. You can run pretty much anything in bracket class but once you step up to top fuel, pro mod or funny car its a whole different deal. Most of the guys you find in drag racing have done all the other forms of racing as well. Many of them are very experienced with modifying motors and such. If you never win at all you will still learn a lot about getting the performance out of a motor and chassis. It all looks so simple from the spectator's point of view but when you are actually racing its not such an easy deal. The Walbern door slammer chassis has several ways to build it. Solid bottom plate 2 piece bottom plate aluminum and carbon or straight carbon for instance. Engine in the regular place or moved forward. Unless you have a prepared track to run them on they are pretty much useless. In a parking lot forget it. They will just spin the rear wheels. And since you have practically no suspension it needs to be smooth and pebble free. This one has a Walbern 2 piece chassis OS .18 TZ modified motor and RSP '41 willys body.

The kits aren't totally complete like you are used too. Some of the stuff has to be constructed by the builder. Servo mounting for the steering servo. Linkage for the steering. Fuel tank mount and tank.

And this little number is my top fuel car.

And my funny car which is electric and based on a GMS chassis.

The willys pro mod is the only 1:10 scale dragster to ever grace the pages of Hot Rod magazine.

Griz